PDA

View Full Version : Boot dryers

pete_k
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone here have any reviews on them?
How bout good tricks to dry out your boots.
My feet must sweat alot, because my boots are soaked after a day.
I'm considering the propane powered Peet boot dryer.
http://www.grouseriver.com/Propane_Peet_Dryer_p/foo-000059.htm
Costy at $90 plus tax.

goatdancer
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I read the reviews on the propane powered ones and they are crap. I was gonna buy some last year and changed my mind after reading all the bad stories.

Goliath
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
This will probably sound like a joke, but it works like a charm.

Scrunch up newspaper and "pack" your boots with it. The newspaper will absorb 90% of the moisture from your sweaty boots by morning. The damp newspaper will dry out by evening and be ready for re-use.

No mess, no fuss, and you can't beat the price.

Note: colored flyers (ie. Sears catalogue) don't work. Just newsprint.

Buckman
09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Agree with Goliath, been using that method for years.

pete_k
09-08-2010, 11:40 PM

Scrunch up newspaper and "pack" your boots with it. The newspaper will absorb 90% of the moisture from your sweaty boots by morning. The damp newspaper will dry out by evening and be ready for re-use.

Thanks Goliath. I will try that out this year.

Those boot dryers almost seem like they won't work well because the boots are upside down. Hence no place for the steam to escape. It would just gather on the sole like the a pot lid when you're boiling water.

todbartell
09-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I use an electric one at home, works good. Never used a propane one, just set them by the wood stove in the ol wall tent is what I try to do.

Gateholio
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

My Dad taught me that trick years ago and I still use it. Stuff shoes or boots with newspaper, set by heat source like a woodstove or carefully near a campfire. Even better is a hot air vent! Dry in the AM.

I've got an electric boot dryer at home, too. Works great and easier than the newspaper.. Bought at OSFS:-D

Hunt'n Guide
09-09-2010, 08:47 AM
My Dad taught me that trick years ago and I still use it. Stuff shoes or boots with newspaper, set by heat source like a woodstove or carefully near a campfire. Even better is a hot air vent! Dry in the AM.

I've got an electric boot dryer at home, too. Works great and easier than the newspaper.. Bought at OSFS:-D

Same here with one addition. When practical I carry two pairs of boots and trade daily. Gives more time for the damp ones to dry naturally, two paper cycles. Also when it's cold and I'm wearing pacboots I've always got two set of liners to swap out. They can just airdry for a day and be good to go.

Chuck
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I understand perfectly the concept of the newspaper and how forced hot air can shorten the life of a boot. So has anybody tried stuffing a prewarmed "shamwow" into the boot? I'd give it a try, if I had any.

Goliath
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I understand perfectly the concept of the newspaper and how forced hot air can shorten the life of a boot. So has anybody tried stuffing a prewarmed "shamwow" into the boot? I'd give it a try, if I had any.

I've never tried stuffing my prewarmed shamwow into my boots...no matter how lonely I am. :mrgreen: Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Anyone take a Slap Chop to hunt camp? How about a Graty?

Hunt'n Guide
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
What about the Snuggie? What's the prefered camo pattern for snuggies anyway?

Chuck
09-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Well I'm not a fan of those hated TV ads either, but I was just wondering if newspaper would work at sucking the moisture out of a boot (and newspaper isn't all that absorbant either), then how about something that has an affinity for moisture? Hey! maybe I just invented something that will make me big bucks!

I know a cheap and easy way to keep moisture out of a gun safe and no power required either. Do I dare tell?

Mik
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
That Peet boot dryer works Awesome ! (I use it for my November hunt in Alberta) boots are perfectly dry come morning time, and no shrinkage cause the heat is so low. Keep it away from the side of the wall tent as the wind could cause that side of the boot not to dry.

Goliath
09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Well I'm not a fan of those hated TV ads either, but I was just wondering if newspaper would work at sucking the moisture out of a boot (and newspaper isn't all that absorbant either), then how about something that has an affinity for moisture? Hey! maybe I just invented something that will make me big bucks!

I know a cheap and easy way to keep moisture out of a gun safe and no power required either. Do I dare tell?

Good point re: affinity for H20. All kidding aside, I'd be curious to know if it does work. Test it in the off season.

lunatic
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I've been using the Peet propane dryer for years now and I find it works great. Boots can be soaking wet and will dry in 5-6 hrs. They use such a small amount of propane, that I started leaving them outside at night with the dryer on low even when they aren't wet. I have nice warm boots every morning.

horse280
09-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Shamwow!I have a peet portable fold up dryer setup,boots sit right side up,packs up nice and small,gets rid of sweat overnight noo problem!Super wet boots i use the newsprint method first,best thing is to make your partner see how deep the crick is first!!:wink:cheers...the Horse

KevinB
09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
If the electric one is a consideration, I saw them on sale at the Valhalla up at Siver Star for $29.99 about 2 weeks ago. Not that far of a drive for you for $60. Kick myself for not buying one of them.

Squamch
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Another vote for newspaper.
When I'm at home I just set em with the tops facing a fan set on low, dry by morning.