PDA

View Full Version : hunting packs

nolan-sawka
09-08-2010, 02:00 PM
thinking of getting a new pack any recommendations? id like one with the rifle pouch

thinking of this one
http://www.grouseriver.com/Eberlestock_J34_Just_One_p/hun-001093.htm

Tenacious Billy
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Do a search on here.....there's already a pile of pack reviews/opinions etc., etc....that looks like a good one though.

calvin L
09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I have the j34 same pack but the top doesn't come off it is a great day / weekend pack . I would want a external frame pack for longer trips . This is just me . there are a ton of great pack the MR bad lands the list can go on for ever .

troutseeker
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
It is a good pack and if you want a gun scabbard built-in, it is your only choice. I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

Brett
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.ostromoutdoors.com/
top of the line built how ever with what ever you want. In Canada!

swampthing
09-08-2010, 08:10 PM
You bet, go get it. I have been using the dragonfly for two years now. Aside from being a bit heavy, its awesome. I have backpacked with it and use it for a daypack as well. The heaviest load I have carried is a boned out elk hind quarter. The pack could handle much more. The comfort level of this weight was much better than any external frame pack I have used. The rifle scabbord is a good system. You can reach the rifle with it on your back. I dont even take a gun case in the truck anymore, I just slip my rifle into my pack. As well as climbing, I spend time doing atv spot and stalk hunting. Strap your pack to your quad and slip your rifle in. There is many accessories for this pack as well. I have most of them and they are usefull. Buy and enjoy
PS the sitka bivy 45 is an awesome pack as well. the downfall is your rifle is carried outside of the pack.

TSW
09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
My problem with that Eberlestock rifle scabbard is what happens when you want to sit down for a minute? Take the pack off every time? Pull the rifle out? Sounds lame. What about when you're crawling over some windfall in the bush? I already hate it when my pack is getting caught on stuff I'm crawling over and through. Good idea for some, just not for me. On the other hand it would be sweet to have the rifle that accessible at other times. Depending on where you're hunting the issues I have might not matter at all. Kelowna might be a different story.

swampthing
09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I forgot about the take the pack off to sit thing. It is a pain in the but. On my last heavy pack, I had to lay down for a rest. Pretty hard to get up after. I may try tucking the rifle sleave up and see how the rifle sits in it.

Kirby
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I have the J107 I often pack my rifle in mine when hunting. rarely do I notice it. Great pack comfortable and large enough, but my only problem is it expands back not up, pulls you over, I am going to have mine customized to have the tops compress down or expand up.

Kirby

TSW
09-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I have the J107 I often pack my rifle in mine when hunting. rarely do I notice it. Great pack comfortable and large enough, but my only problem is it expands back not up, pulls you over, I am going to have mine customized to have the tops compress down or expand up.

Kirby

That was the other thing that steered me away from Eberlestock packs, the fact that expand out away from your body instead of up...not what a guy is looking for when packing heavy in the mtns.

Orangethunder
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I have a J107 and an Arcteryx Bora 95. I have had the Acteryx for about 12 years and has performed flawlessly on many hunts. I have used the J107 a couple of times and it seems very comfortable. It is heavy and I do see the mesh material as a bit of a flaw when the pack is expanded. It would be nicer to have something more weather resistant than mesh. I think I will stick with the Arcteryx for multi day trips and use the Eberlestock for day/two day trips.

Buck
09-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I think a combination of Kifaru Gunbearer and the rifle scabbard should cover the coming out heavy problem.For climbing steep that rifle scabbard is great and when going through deadfall just put the gun in the Kifaru.