PDA

View Full Version : Bull-Pacs

Centerfire
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I was looking at getting an external frame pack for hunting/packing out meat and am interested in the packs offered by Bull-Pacs.

Does anyone here have any feedback as to whether these packs are any good?

-Centerfire

Centerfire
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Anyone????

Gateholio
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I've got one and it is a great option for hauling heavy loads like moose quarters etc. I have a bag for mine and it works pretty good as a general backpack, too, but it's not as comfortable or easy to use as my Mystery Ranch pack.

Packing out meat is where the Bull Pac excels as it's just so damn sturdy.

Centerfire
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I've got one and it is a great option for hauling heavy loads like moose quarters etc. I have a bag for mine and it works pretty good as a general backpack, too, but it's not as comfortable or easy to use as my Mystery Ranch pack.

Packing out meat is where the Bull Pac excels as it's just so damn sturdy.

Which bag do you have for it? I was thinking about the day pack as the Lochsa looks a little big for what I need it for.

Gateholio
09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Not sure what it's called, I bought it about 5 years ago. But it's pretty roomy with lots of compartments, so maybe not a day pack. If you post links to the different ones, I can tell you what I have.

Centerfire
09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Here is the link to their site:

http://www.bullpacs.com/

Just scroll down on the first page and there are photos of the different packs.

I'm definately looking for a pack to haul out game quarters.

-Centerfire

Devilbear
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I might know where a "like new" Bullpac and Lochsa combo is for sale. When, I first started recommending gear here and on a couple of other sites, a buddy bought one and never used it as he works too much.

He has now gone to a MR and some other packs and may still have the BP as he mentioned selling it a few months ago.

I bought a Bullpac Alaskan in Feb. 2002 and used it for a couple of years and then began to buy Kifaru and MR packs. They are VERY wellmade, the people are just super to deal with and you will never break one, not even the mighty "Man in Pink" could do that!

I found that, they were great and comfortable up to 70 lbs., just like the Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous Gen. 1 I also had, but, with a heavier load, I had to bend forward too much and that impairs breathing, a major issue as I am asthmatic and cannot deal with this.

I sold mine in 2009 to a good guy who sometimes posts here and he is largely a Moose hunter, working from his ATV, this is, IMHO, the ideal use for the Bullpac.

There are better options for backpack hunting, but, the Bullpac itself is second only to the discontinued "Terraframe" and "Longbed Loadmaster" externals from Dana Design in Bozeman, MT, the company that morphed into MR. I have two of these, bought for substantial coin, after searching for months and they are THE BOMB as far as external frame packs are concerned.

Some very knowledgeable guys here use Barney's packframes and since I have never even seen one, I cannot help and I had poor performance from this basic design by CampTrails. That said, these guys know their stuff and I would seriously consider calling Barney's on a pack frame, or, checking backpacking forums for a good, used DD "Terraframe" or "Shortbed"...and you can expect to PAY for a nice one. HTH.

Gateholio
09-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I've got the Lochsa bag with the XXL frame.

As DB said, For hunting from a truck or quad, a bull pac is great. The MR packs are much nicer for if you are going on a multi day "backpack" hunt, though