PDA

View Full Version : What a week!!

Steeleco
09-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Well a better week in the bush I haven't had!! Started out on the 30th taking the kids to Davis lake to have a few days scouting before youth season opened. Well it payed off!! On the 2nd Dutchie and his dad joined us in camp. They were doing a little looking for bears of their own. Dutchie and Shane took off Wed evening for a hike into some alpine area no far from camp. John (Novablast) came along when I took my daughter Heather (Blonde Tornado) to a spot where myself and the kids had busted deer in a mineral lick no less than 3 times earlier in the week. After a long and "this is boring dad" 1.5 hrs, John spots a deer entering the back side of the field we were sitting on. Now it's not so boring!!! Heather sat there for the 15 min it took the deer to present the shot and trembled with anticipation. I talked her down just long enough for her to get a good shot off. Then the whole world knew she's shot her first deer. What a celebration the three of us had!!

She took the deer at 165 yds with her 25.06 using a 110 fusion round.
Took the top off the heart, the deer never moved a step. One proud Dad I'll tell ya!!
This picture taken back in camp after dark. She go herself a nice little 2x3 that is still in velvet after near a week. I've got it drying, hopefully it stays intact?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_2120.jpg
And this one the next morning.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_2123.jpg

So then Friday we're pulling camp and heading north. We were to hook up with a small family of HBC'ers!! Elkhound and gang was there as well as Mr.Dean and his gang, and Dutchie and his Dad John.

After much socializing and not much looking Shane was getting a little P/O'd!! His little Sis had laid down the gauntlet and he needed to get a deer too!! So Elkhound and I made plans to get out at first light Sunday to see what we could see. After a hump up one of the local hills we found a nice spot to go do some leg work. Damn it was cold, at near 4700' the wind was cold and the sign of critters colder. So we collectively decided to head back into the valley below us and get out of the wind. Likely where the deer were we thought? Well half way down the goat trail of a hill, Dave yells DEER! Seconds later Shane yells HO LEE CRAP!, me I'm not seeing a thing?? So I stop the Jeep and like a gang of Mexicans at a Fiesta we bail out and try for better views. With Dave on the rangefinder, me on the bino's and Shane on the trigger we all get set. I'm still seeing the deer till he moves. Crap, he's got a buddy!! Dave reads out "the big one is 256yds" "Shit that's a long haul!!" I'm thinking. I whisper over to Shane that he should hold higher than normal and be very sure before he takes a shot like that. Holding on a dead fall, he steadies and waits for a better broadside shot. Bang, off goes the first one. Crap he missed. Neither deer moved? So he makes some adjustments and bang goes the gun, down goes the deer. While not a lethal shot, the deer is not getting up. With both Dave and I now screaming "shoot him again" Shane fires another to finish him but good. What a shot, that 7-08 he tells me his, his forever!!
A very respectable 4x4, only a tiny bit smaller than my biggest. I think my kids are going to school me about deer hunting soon!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3928.jpg

I'd like to thank John and Dave a great deal, they were both hugely instrumental in both finding and recovering both of these deer.

Twas one hell of a week, we had great luck, a great time with great friends.

valleycowboy
09-08-2010, 04:55 AM
great story.love hearing about the young ones success!!
congrats to the youngsters!!!!
looks like you have your work cut out for you,lol.

blaine
09-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Hey great going Heather and Shane on your Bucks, that will be some great memories for all of you. And you to Dave for getting them into the outdoors and enjoying this great resourse we have.

blaine

Camp Cook
09-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Awesome a triple header... :-D

Tikka270wsm
09-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Great story! Congrats to your kids and yourself on harvesting these bucks.

doubled
09-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Great story from the young guns!!!

Bushman
09-08-2010, 06:02 AM
It doesn't get much better than that, Steeleco!
Congratulations to the young hunters and the older ones, too.
Treasure those moments.

slicky72
09-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Great story, great bucks, great junior hunter you have there. You must be very proud.:-D

Blainer
09-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Absolutely Fantastic!
I had heard the rumours and believed them to be true.
Good on the both of you.
Atta boy Shane for letting your sister step up to the plate first,bet it was killing ya?But it payed off.
Great job Heather,the first one is the most memorable.

Caveman
09-08-2010, 06:47 AM
It doesn't get much better than that, Steeleco!
Congratulations to the young hunters and the older ones, too.
Treasure those moments.

My thoughts exactly. Nice job!!

BimmerBob
09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Congrats all, great news!

Ruger4
09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Congrats , pics to last a lifetime !!!:mrgreen:

Brambles
09-08-2010, 06:55 AM
congrats to the young ones taking a couple fine deer. Way to go

BiG Boar
09-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Cool story,
I was looking forward to hearing it on here sometime! Congratulations to all parties involved. I am surprised that Shane is allowed to hunt in the youth season after stealing 2 of our 4 points two years in a row! Just wait till you're of age Shane, those 4 pointers just disappear! I have to say I am a tad envious, I have never dropped a 4 point mulie yet! And Heather that is one nice looking first deer. Bigger than most peoples first deer, mine included. But you put in the time....well 1.5 hours isnt really the time....but its a good start. Patience will come if you know the big ones are out there somewhere. Good on the rest of you guys for helping out. I know there is one proud papa out there in the WG tonight.

johnes50
09-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Good story and nice bucks. That's what huntings all about. It's great that the kids both got a nice buck.

M.Dean
09-08-2010, 07:02 AM
To Shane and Heather and all the other Young Hunters this year, you guys are taking some fine looking bucks, now the bar is set pretty high for some of us older hunters this year!!! Congrats to you all!!! I think in this whole world if there is such a thing as a "Good Addiction" hunting is it!!!

3kills
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
awesome congrats to the kids on there deer. nice first buck heather and once again shane is doin awesome as usual lol

moose2
09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Nice deer kids it is good to see people being successful in the youth seasons. I think its good the province allows this , its a good way to get young hunters involved in the sport. Nice story and pictures.
Thanks for posting.
MIKE

willyqbc
09-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Awesome!

Dave.... If you want to dry out that velvet throw it your deep freeze for a year!

Chris

yamadirt 426
09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Wow, Is there going to be any deer left this year after all these young guns get them. Good job kids. Save a spiker for me lol

luckynuts
09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
These are the stories I like.... Great Hunt Steelco.. Huge congrats to the kids. can't wait for my boy to get his first deer this year.. Best thing about this was the family time:cool:

W.

swampdonkey
09-08-2010, 08:03 AM
congrats to your kids can't wait for mine to be of age they r tagging along now just can't shoot em yet

Leaseman
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Good to hear David! Sounds like Dad will have to sit back and let the "youths" take over! Way to go guys......:-D

How many animals were you seeing over in your area?? Lots around?? Did you get that weather on Tuesday and Wednesday......

Mike

Steeleco
09-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks Gang for all the kind words.
Thanks Chris for the tip on the freezer, Mike, we had all kinds of weather Tues, Wed but for the most part it was fairly dry. It's the wind in the Kane that is usually the breaker on those longish sits!!

For all you Dads and Moms with upcoming hunters, one word of advice. GO SLOW!! When the kids want to do the deed, they'll tell you. Lots of times LOL!! Put the time into lots of short day trips then weekends. Soon they'll be asking "when can we get out" It's worth the wait, honest!!

fuzzybiscuit
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Congratulations on a couple fine deer! Way to Get R Done!

d6dan
09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Great story and pics Dave. Congrats to the junior hunters. Memories for ever!.. I guess you don't need to hunt anymore eh?..

frenchbar
09-08-2010, 08:36 AM
nice steelco...great job by your kids and your crew.

demlake
09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Congrats to all three of you, and thanks for the pics.

dl

dutchie
09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Man it was alot of fun. Heather was jacked and so was the rest of camp untill i told Lori that if Shane and myself got a deer we would have stayed over night in the alpine!

Note to self... never tell a mother that is waiting for her son to come back THAT night, that we might have stayed over night if we shot somthing:eek:.

First time I have hunted with youth hunters and man it is soooo rewarding to see when they pull it off!

Good shootin' "Killers"!

Dutchie

1/2 slam
09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
VERY WELL DONE!!!!!:mrgreen:

Gateholio
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Congrats! :mrgreen:

Elkhound
09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Dave reads out "the big one is 256yds" "Shit that's a long haul!!" I'm thinking

LMAO.....What were you worried about. With that bum shoulder of yours Shane and I did the dragging. You got to give directions.:wink:

Was the first time I have ever dragged an animal down hill. I think I like it. Gonna only do that from now on.

Was a fantastic experience. When that deer went down and your son was screaming for joy he was so excited arms in the air. LOL...it was cool. Except we were both yelling "shoot him again" Hahahahahaha Then it was all business again for Shane. I still cant believe that second buck stuck around for another 10mins after the shots. If my daughter would have been feeling well we would have taken both those bucks. But she was warm and cuddly in a sleeping bag back in Dutchie's mansion at camp. She has been kicking herself for days. Her time will come.

Steeleco has way more pics than that. Come on man....post em up

Thanks for one of the best experiences of my life people. What a cool hunt. Makes up for busting a leaf spring on the truck that weekend. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Steeleco
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
OK Boss!!
Redneck hunting buggy!! My wife tells me we need a pickup, at times like this I'd have to agree, but don't tell her. I like my Jeep
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3930.jpg

The artwork on the hood is courtesy of my son and Dave. Good thing we didn't have to drive back to the LML like that. "Oh the Horror"!!

And the sniper still beaming.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3931.jpg

stanway
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Wow!! That is truly awesome!!! Congratulations to Shane & Heather. That's quite a crew you have there David.

So, are they going to let you shoot anything this year?:wink::mrgreen:

Good thing you put a new battery in the Jeep.:wink:

Congrats again! Well done!

James

mcrae
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Thats awsome! I love the jeep pics!

DWEL
09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow, now thats a weekend. Big congrats to the two hunters and the Dad that made it possible for them.

Mr. Dean
09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Ahhhh, what an honour it twas to be a part of this!

Albeit I did miss out on Heathers 'moment of truth', I did get in on her sharing of the excitement, not 24 hrs. after the fact. Good times and good on ya!!

As for Shane; it was a REAL privilege to be in on, not only this animal, but the 4pt. he also took EXACTLY, one year earlier. WOWZERS, Man. You are setting precedent - KEEP IT UP! And I don't care WHAT Daddy says; Yours IS bigger than any he's EVER taken! :lol: :lol:

I cant help feeling for Elkhound's eldest. The sorrow she felt, after the Boyz returned to camp, after hearing the tales,,, was truly heart-breaking. There will be other opportunity and it will come - This I am certain of. If it's any consolation, pretty much ALL of us, have; Been there. Done that.

It's a fact of life and also part of, The Hunting Experience. :wink:

Kudos to all! :mrgreen:

dutchie
09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
So, are they going to let you shoot anything this year?:wink::mrgreen:

not in region 3!

so has Shane gotten "his" gun from you yet?! To be honest... i think that he has a very valid point!:twisted:

HAHAHA.. I just have to stand to the left side so you cant hit me!

Dutchie

farside
09-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I just love to see the young hunters out and about with their parents. Congrats to all

dana
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Congrats to the kids on a couple of great youth season bucks. And congrats to the adults for getting those kids addicted to the outdoors. It is awesome to see kids having success like that! Our youth season was pretty noneventful. The kids and I spent 4 days of hard hunting this weekend and only saw 1 muley the entire time. The deer just didn't seem to be up and about. My daughter did get her first snowshoe hare though. So some meat was brought home. ;) Still lots of season left so we aren't too concerned about the lack of deer sightings this weekend.

JDR
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
WOW, that is fantastic!!! Congratulations to you and your kids. Pretty special when you can watch them enjoy and be successful at something you love so much!

nano
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Nice deer, congrats!

swampthing
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
The youth season was an awesome addition for our kids. Great hunting you two and above all, have fun.

ElectricDyck
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow! Great luck for your kids, nice shooting!

Shooter
09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
For all you Dads and Moms with upcoming hunters, one word of advice. GO SLOW!!!

LOL, sometimes I feel like I am holding them back already...:mrgreen:

Great story tho and a huge congrats to the shooters WTG!!!

And a big congrats to you also Steelco, I have no doubt it was oner of your best hunts also, even without pulling the trigger, its awesome being there with the kids while they succeed.

The Hermit
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I love stories like this!!

Phil
09-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice going Dave!! Well done kids!! That is a hunt you'll never forget.

kennyj
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Congratulations. What an awesome trip.
kenny

BillyBull
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
great story..... nice to see the young guns showing dad how its done!

Mik
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Great going guys n Heather! A Big Congrats :) before ya know it, David, you're gonna be the camp cook..

NaStY
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Great job kids. So Dave got any tags left? :mrgreen:

fowl language
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
so dave, what are you going to do to follow that up?boy that,s going to be a tough act to follow.good luck with that.....fowl {nice going}

born2hunt
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
awesome ! good to see the youngsters out enjoying it

Steeleco
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Great going guys n Heather! A Big Congrats :) before ya know it, David, you're gonna be the camp cook..

The Jeep isn't a stretch limo, but I'm still the Chauffeur!!
Mom's good enough to take care of the food while, I'm doing the guiding!!

Great job kids. So Dave got any tags left? :mrgreen:

I only had to cut one in Reg 8. Shane has is own license now, that's a good thing or I'd be stuck shooting chickens!!

Johnnybear
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Congrats to the young hunters big time:-D!!! This is what makes hunting in B.C. so great. Great program that is proving results and recruiting new hunters. Doesn't get any better:wink:.

Geronimo
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
It was a priviledge to witness the "Blonde Tornado's" success on her FIRST deer ever!! What a shot--165 Yds blowing the top of his heart off--Truly a "Heartbreaker" ( Right, Heather?)-Steelco- Your calmness and patience was tremendous to see, she was shaking so much when the deer came in sight,I wasn't sure if she could calm down enough to pull it off, but Coolness prevailed and she got control with your help-- and WOW!! Fabulous, Way to go!!
Shane--You Da Man!! Nice 4 point, Wish I was there to witness your success as well -- And being nice to your dad and Elkhounbd by shooting it uphill to make an easy downhill drag to the jeep is very conciderate- Now your dad and has work to do(as though he doesn't have enough already) Congratulations to all- It was a fun trip.
John (Novablast)