PDA

View Full Version : New GPS

spear
09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Bought a garmin legend hcx last week and wasn't too impressed with it, decent function but slow and a little awkward to plot routes.

Got a heads up from Islander7mm about the Garmin Colorado 300 for sale, bought it today and could not believe how much better it was for the same price.

Anyone looking for good topo search for "Ibycus topo"
Free Topo for all of Canada, easy to dowload and manage

Anyone else have one of these GPS units?

muledeercrazy
09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
yeah, garmin is top of the line but like anything else you pay for what you get. the more expensive models are as good as anything. the problem with the colorado is it doesnt function well in cold weather.. I hope you knew that. The bonus is you can get the bc backroad maps on it, and download sat pics

as a side note the legend hcx sells new for 200 on gps city and the colorado is discontinued, but sold for around 6-700 i think

troutseeker
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I've got the HCx and am quite pleased with it.

robertmcallan
09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
just got the gpsmap 62s and i put one of those back road maps on it and i have had no problems with it

Pete
09-08-2010, 07:52 AM
For my business I have and use my 60csx for everything, works really well.

Maestro
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I like my Garmin Dakota 20 with backroad mapbook uploaded.

KB90
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Got a Colorado. Like it so far. Need to get backroad mapbook for it though.

mxracer328
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
i have the colorado as well, its my first gps and i really like it my dad put the bc backroads map book maps on there and it is fairly accurate. KB90 i might be able to help you with the bc backroads map book maps pm me and we can figure something out.

spear
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
How cold are we talking when yours didnt' work? I loaded mine with maps from Ibycus, free Topo w/street names and POI.

ufishifish2
09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
We run 3 Legend HCX's at work and just love them. Then again we use them every single day and trash them/scratch them/lose them, etc. It would be crazy to spend all the extra $$ on 3 Colorados when the Legends are so damned good for everyday use. Plus I only have to buy about 200 AA batteries per year running them. It would be terrible to have a bigger screen and spend even more $$ on batteries.

RustyBrit
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I just got my Dakota 20 in the mail from GPSCentral. Pretty impressed so far. I will run it through some paces this weekend. I narrowed my search down to the 60csx and the Dakota 20... Same price +-$20 and they do all the same things pretty much. I played with my buddies Oregon and thought the touchscreen made it idiot proof. And it even works with gloves on. Now I gotta get my hands on the backroads mapset. The Garmin Topos I have are good but some detailed roads would be nice.