PDA

View Full Version : nitnat

born2hunt
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
hey just wondering if anyone has been fishing red rock pool or there abouts , and maybe a little insight as too if theres any fish in there yet, i havent fished there for over 20 years and wondering what its like now , i want to take my kid down there on the 17th to try it any help would be great

greenhorn
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Based on my last read of the regulations red rock pool is closed. Actually, there are alot of closures on that river. As I recall, the bridge near the hatchery and anywhere above parker creek is also closed.

But, to answer your question, I think the fish returns have been OK in the past few years. Every time I've been up there in the fall they've been splashing.

born2hunt
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Based on my last read of the regulations red rock pool is closed. Actually, there are alot of closures on that river. As I recall, the bridge near the hatchery and anywhere above parker creek is also closed.

But, to answer your question, I think the fish returns have been OK in the past few years. Every time I've been up there in the fall they've been splashing.
yea thats what im hearing too , actually heading out to get the regs now to be sure what area's are open and whats closed

Tikka270wsm
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Should be good any day now with the rain we've had. Last year the fish were later than years prior and the river temp was too warm so most of the fish milled around the lake and got pretty coloured up before heading up the river.However, I did talk to a few guys that got into them including a friend of mine that got a 42 lb chromer towards the end of September. I heard that there were alot of fish in the lake a week or two ago so they are around for sure. Just a matter of water level and temp now. Definately study the regs as "greenhorn" stated. Red Rock Pool is closed to all fishing, as well as the bridge, the hatchery pool, and above Parker Creek. So are alot of other spots so watch for the boundry signs. DFO is down there on a regular basis this time of year and they are strictly enforcing the rules.

The best river Chinook fishing I've ever had was in that river. Spent more time playing fish than fishing for them. Probabaly the ugliest Chinook around with huge adipose fins and long jaws but they are sooooo much fun. Half a day fishing was all my arms could take. Just waiting for a call back from the hatchery on the situation and I'll be heading out there soon
for sure.

The coho fishery there is amazing as well if you can get through all the doggies. The beaches look like D-Day down there towards the end of October. Bring bear spray and/or bangers. They aren't aggressive for the most part but get a little cranky when you almost step on them while walking the trails. And they are EVERYWHERE once the salmon start to run.

000buck
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
dude red rock pool the glory hole etc. etc are closed to fishing and the whole river closes on the 15 of sept until oct

greenhorn
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Really? Closed on the 15th?

Last I was up there I saw alot of CO trucks driving around. They checked our hunting licenses and quizzed us on fishing too. I was pretty sure that the river was closed, so I said that I don't fish the Nitinat because it is usually closed. He seemed satisfied with that response. Either way I'd definitely make sure you're up on the rules and licensing before you head out...