PDA

View Full Version : Core/Pal

Rub
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I am finally taking my CORE/PAL tests tomorrow. I have been studying for a couple of weeks, and I hope I am ready -- I was not able to take a course as I work weekends.

Unfortunately, the book I have been using to study is a bit out dated, and it doesn't have the PROVE SAFE ACTS acronyms in it. If anyone would care to share those with me, it would be appreciated. I am looking for them online but haven't found them yet.

Thanks.
Kristal

BOOTS!
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
There is a good video on the CFC site. It's dated but there.

Point the Firearms in a safe direction
Remove all cartridges/ammunition
Open the action
Verify the feeding path that the gun is empty
Examine the chamber/bore

Assume all firearms are loaded
Control the direction of the Muzzle
Trigger is not touched until you are prepared to shoot
Sure of your target and what is behind it.

:)

Rub
09-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks - it is a little different from what I had notes on - just wanted to make sure I had it correct.

I had:

Assume loaded
Control muzzle
Trigger not touched
See that its safe - PROVE

Point is safe direction
Remove ammo
Observe chamber
Verify path is clear
Examine bore

Maybe it would be worth me consulting the examiner beforehand?

Rub
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh, and if anyone can give me some idea of what will be on the practical, it would be great. Not sure what I am expected to do, other than load and unload, identify ammunition and firearms, cross a fence.

TESKELLY
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh, and if anyone can give me some idea of what will be on the practical, it would be great. Not sure what I am expected to do, other than load and unload, identify ammunition and firearms, cross a fence.

They will look to see that you can follow the PROVE system when handling the firearm. If you have the books then your pretty much covered. It's all multiple choice on the tests which makes it even easier. Good Luck.

tristanmac
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path.
Examine the bore

Assume every firearm is loaded.
Control the muzzle direction at all times.
Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.

The practical is pretty straight forward. The examiner will have several different actions of firearms on the table (I was tested with pump, bolt and lever) He will get you too choose the correct ammunition then load and unload the firearm. A few other things and as long as you don't point the gun at the instructor you should be fine!

Good luck!!

Rub
09-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, it really was 80% common sense and 20% from the book. I scored 84% on both my PAL and CORE written, and 86% on the practical. If anyone from the Okanagan Shuswap area is looking to challenge, go to Del Selin in Vernon. They were awesome with me, and very helpful.

Thanks y'all and happy hunting!

Peters Wildlife
09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Congrats on passing!

TESKELLY
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Way to go. Happy Hunting.