PDA

View Full Version : Another 2010 Sheep hunt....

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Before you read any further, let me warn you, there is no ram, no "happy ending".

This hunt was a shit show from the get go.

The plan was simple. Walk way up a series of valleys to get to a promising looking basin. We wanted to check out the area more than anything, and if we found a big ram, that would be a bonus.

On day one we re-learned some lessons. When walking in the thick bush, in the rain, in the fog, you need a compass, or GPS. You would think we would know that, but somewhere along the line we tossed that out to save weight. I normally dont get turned around, the odd sight of an adjacent peak normally keeps me on track, but with the clouds 100 feet off the ground, that didnt work so well. Long story short, day one was 5 hours of walking, in a big circle, and we got soaked without getting anywhere. One sight of a peak would have set us straight, but it wasnt possible. We decided to head to the Muncho Lake Lodge to dry out and lick our wounds. Day one... Gong show.

Day two was better for us, but not my dog. Before we took off for our second attempt, we met a young couple who had been sheep hunting. They also had a pack dog, a young Husky lookin pup, 8 months old. My lab Jake is 13 months old. That young husky decided he wanted to dry hump Jakes face. So while we were all havin a chat, I looked over and poor Jake is gettin his face worked over by this young husky and he couldnt get away. He actually wasnt even fighting that hard. I had to rescue him from the abuse. Rough start for Jake.

We found an old horse trail finally. And got into the area we wanted to check out. Whoever slashed that trail 50 years ago is the toughest man alive. We got there and set up camp. Soaked to the bone, we made a fire and started to dry out in prep for the climb on day 3. Here is Jake resting out of the rain, trying to forget what happened to him that morning.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/Coming_out_heavy/P1040932.jpg

Day 3 started nice, at least the rain had stopped. Time to head up to check out this basin we were sure had rams in it. As I was getting my pack ready, and Jakes pack, my hunting partner tells me he is going to head on up the trail toward a creek, where we would meet and then pick our spot to head up the mountain. No problem.

Jake and I catch up to him 10 minutes later. He is having a drink by the creek, and as I am putting my pack down, he starts telling me how bad of an idea that Chili Maccaroni mountain house was. He starts describing the disastrous crap he just had off in the bush, and says that if that type of crap happens again, he will for sure be out of toilet paper ahead of schedule. "Thanks for the info", I tell him.

Then I happen to notice Jake is gone. "Jake!!!" I snap. At that moment my hunting partner realizes Jake has gone in the direction of his shrapnel like crap location. He tells me what he has realized. Now its all coming together as Jake comes happily bounding back to us. As he is running towards me I see a huge smear of shit all over his neck. I run away from him as Im trying to wrap my head around whats going on. My hunting partner is laughing, Im not sure what to do, so I run away. Jakes confused.

I go towards Jake to at least get his packs off before he gets shit all over them. I get my hand near the buckle at his neck area and I see the shit. Its as bad as my partner had just described. Then I smell it, and I hit the ground puking. My asshole hunting partner is laughing, Im laughing and puking at the same time, and Jake has this dumb look on his face.

Thank god we were at the creek. I yelled out, "thats your goddam shit, YOU CLEAN HIM". I dont know what we would have done if there wasnt a creek right there.....

Anyway........ we went up the hill, found our beauty basin, and did not get a ram. 30 ewes and lambs, a couple dink rams, and a very big grizzly were calling that basin home.

Here is the basin, a sheeps paradise.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/Coming_out_heavy/P1040974.jpg

Jake acting like he didnt roll in shit earlier that day.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/Coming_out_heavy/P1040977.jpg

Not one of our better trips, to say the least.

And yes, the GPS is back on the what to pack list....

d6dan
09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, sounds to me like you had a "Shitty Hunt":tongue:. Better luck next time.:wink:. You know this story could be a winner for "Shittest Hunt of 2010" if there was a contest?..

lightmag
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm laughing so hard right now my stomach hurts!! great story... well funny for us and a laugh. Nice looking basin!! better luck next time, leave the chilli stuff at home, that or your partner, lol.. thanks for sharing.

Samsquantch
09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Chili Macoroni mntn house just got cut from tryouts.

ufishifish2
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Damned hunting partners eh Coming out Heavy??
Great story and thanks for the good read. It's funny how we look forward to sheep hunting all year long, but will continue to have terrible experiences each and every time we go!

09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
ahhhhhahahah ahaha ahahahaahahhaaa

That is funny! What a writeup! what a Crappy hunt!

Tenacious Billy
09-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Funny story! Too bad about the lack of rams...... Dogs like poop. Many years ago Krico and I were out ice-fishing and his lab did something very similar to that.....only instead of rolling in my business, he decided to eat it. Worst dog breath ever.

2SHALLOW
09-07-2010, 11:29 AM
so much for borrowing the dog pack off ya!!!

MB_Boy
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm laughing so hard right now my stomach hurts!! great story... well funny for us and a laugh. Nice looking basin!! better luck next time, leave the chilli stuff at home, that or your partner, lol.. thanks for sharing.

x2....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

KB90
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
hahaha excellent.

WoodOx
09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
thanks for the recollection

I have to correct you on one part - this is the toughest man in the world, so he obviously cut that trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2bpu3kIcpQ&feature=related

haha thanks for the lessons!

tufferthandug
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Funny, funny story!

Mik
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey, look on the bright side, atleast you got out for the hunt,seem some great country......as "shitty" as it may seem!

calvin L
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
LMAO :mrgreen: . I have been there with out a creek . just be happy your dog did not make it back to your sleeping bag .

SSS and I also had a camp dog on a grizz hunt that brought back some SSS coooking the wrong way . I don't think I have ever seen himn move so fast .

thanks for the laughs I needed that today

calvin L

Stone Sheep Steve
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
LMAO :mrgreen: . I have been there with out a creek . just be happy your dog did not make it back to your sleeping bag .

SSS and I also had a camp dog on a grizz hunt that brought back some SSS coooking the wrong way . I don't think I have ever seen himn move so fast .

thanks for the laughs I needed that today

calvin L

At least he wasn't our dog.

Thanks for the laughs, COH!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
Good memories!!

SSS

vortex
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't know how but you have obviously acquired some of my sheep hunting luck.:lol: Good times eh...haha

gutpile
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Man that is one shitty hunt. good story !

BlacktailStalker
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
:lol: thats a shitty deal :lol:
I would invest in some therapy for the face phuk for your dog :neutral:
Be happy you can get in the sheep hills so often, good threads, I like 'em.

open-sights
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Worth a second read, great story if it happens to someone else, funny shit man!

HD95
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry that hunt wasn't successful,but I thank you for the laugh:-D:-D

Robert_G
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I can never figure out why anyone would take a dog sheep hunting.
There are 101 things that can go wrong on a sheep hunt. The dog spikes that up to about 125 things that can go wrong. Most guys are lucky to get a sheep hunt 1 time per year....and I'm sure most will agree that the success of a sheep hunt is like balancing on the edge of a knife.

Why voluntarily make something that is already so touch and go....any more difficult?

DEVILKID
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
HAHAHAHA omg...way kill story!! love it!

The Hermit
09-07-2010, 02:55 PM
There are so many reasons NOT to co-habitate with dogs! This has to be one of them! And Franko thinks I'm bad!!!

srupp
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Great read..would have loved a photo of the grizzly..good looking lab..when cleaned up..:mrgreen:

steven

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
If the stalk gets messed up, its my fault, not the dogs.

He sits when I say sit, he stays when I say stay, he follows 2 feet behind me. When I stop to glass, he has a nap. I do tie him off to my pack just so he gets used to it.

He has been on 3 sheep hunts this year. One successful hunt, one hunt where we saw a legal ram and left it, and this most recent one. Every animal we saw could have been taken had it been a ram, with the dog right there. We could have taken that grizzly with the dog there as well.

I cant imagine not taking a dog now.

I agree sheep hunting is difficult, but not to the point of the success balancing on a knife edge.

Now, the only downfall I see so far, is the shit eating. I will be on top of that next trip......

I can never figure out why anyone would take a dog sheep hunting.
There are 101 things that can go wrong on a sheep hunt. The dog spikes that up to about 125 things that can go wrong. Most guys are lucky to get a sheep hunt 1 time per year....and I'm sure most will agree that the success of a sheep hunt is like balancing on the edge of a knife.

Why voluntarily make something that is already so touch and go....any more difficult?

Tenacious Billy
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM

He sits when I say sit, he stays when I say stay, he follows 2 feet behind me. When I stop to glass, he has a nap. I do tie him off to my pack just so he gets used to it.

He has been on 3 sheep hunts this year. One successful hunt, one hunt where we saw a legal ram and left it, and this most recent one. Every animal we saw could have been taken had it been a ram, with the dog right there. We could have taken that grizzly with the dog there as well.

I agree sheep hunting is difficult, but not to the point of the success balancing on a knife edge.

Now, the only downfall I see so far, is the shit eating. I will be on top of that next trip......

Hahahahahahahaha!! So he did eat the poop!! I figured he just rolled in it...that story just got way funnier!!

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, I didnt actually SEE him eat poop. He DID come running to me with shit all over his neck, AND licking his lips.....

Your guess is as good as mine.

I got video loading to youtube, video of the bear.

fuzzybiscuit
09-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Friggin' Labs will eat anything!:mrgreen:

Maxx
09-07-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree with you, hard for me also not to take my dog along. Like you said, they sit and stay when required, and sleep when I am glassing for extended periods. Sorry to hear about the shit-mess, but its kinda funny.....

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Yah, funny....

Here is the video of the bear, Im not too good at judging bears, are any of you able to guage the size of this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydO4dKWfT9g

cavebear
09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
oh thanks for sharing just about crapped myself laughing so hard, could picture the whole thing :-D:-D:-D

BromBones
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
That's frickin funny.:-D

Plus it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's experienced the shit eating dog while hunting.

Alpine85
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
HAHAHA nothing like a big ol "cakemixer" shit in the backcountry, funny dam story man.:-D

Terry

Spuddge
09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Too funny, sounds like you had an excrement, I mean excellent time:mrgreen:

killman
09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
LMAO! Definately top of the shitty list. Nice Bear vid as well. Looks pretty big to me.

OutWest
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm having a heart attack from laughing holy! Great story man, too bad the sheep part didn't work out so well for ya!

trapntrav
09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I have never seen anyone laugh AND puke at the same time!! In my defense the chili macaroni wasnt the only culprit it was the pasta primavera as well :-D. Good times eh!

luckynuts
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Good story!:-D:-D:-D

That bear looks to be a good one though hard to tell against the background. Most dark bears I have seen are big boars. Can't beat a dog hunting with ya though maybe a smelly one...

Thanks for the laugh

W.

coach
09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
That was the shittiest story I've ever read on HBC. It was also the funniest! Good work.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Screw you man.

I have never seen anyone laugh AND puke at the same time!! In my defense the chili macaroni wasnt the only culprit it was the pasta primavera as well :-D. Good times eh!

coldbuc69
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
There must be some retriever :shock: in his blood line. just think of it this way, if you never figuered it out, he could of give you a nice lick Hello,
Note to self. don't let your dog lick you

2slow
09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
That was a funny story. Thanks for the laugh

swampthing
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Labs named Jake are usually the best labs. Thanks for the laugh.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Omg that was a good read lmao! 🐾🐾🐾