PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement on goats.

Moose72
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
So with all of the successful goat hunters out there, i was wondering what your opinions are on the best shot placement is on a mountain goat?

stoneslinger
09-06-2010, 11:21 PM
In the arse. Keeps em from scrambling higher. They hang on tight with the fronts and it keeps em from tumbling lower.

ufishifish2
09-06-2010, 11:24 PM
I personally have been told to go for the front shoulders. If you take out the front legs, it will be much harder for them to jump off a cliff.
This little bugger was on a little tuft of grass with a 500 foot cliff on 3 sides. Had he been able to jump, I'd still be out there picking up the pieces. He only went 3 or 4 feet after the shot.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/SheepHunt1046.jpg

BiG Boar
09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Take the shoulders, or the spine if possible. Unless you like your goat tender.

troutseeker
09-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I took mine thru the shoulders a couple years ago and it still managed to kick itself down mountain... That being said, unless you can spine it, the shoulders are a good, high percentage shot.

6 K
09-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Through both shoulders,and shoot again if he shows any sighn of composure.
Actually, shoot him again anyway.
Mtn. goat are (in my books at least) the toughest game we have.
Put G-bears to shame.

sawmill
09-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Shoulders or spine.My buddie hit one 3 times through the ribs and it just walked away along a 4 inch wide ledge around the cliff.Never recovered him,I told him hit the damn shoulders:evil:

Ruger4
09-07-2010, 06:33 AM
[quote=6 K;740452]
Mtn. goat are (in my books at least) the toughest game we have.
quote]

agree 100 % , mine took (3) 180 grainers out of my odd six to knock down. Shoulder , lungs , spine in that order. Do at least a 1/2 mount , with a nice full hide these are the finest mount IMO :mrgreen:.

lightmag
09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I personally have been told to go for the front shoulders. If you take out the front legs, it will be much harder for them to jump off a cliff.
This little bugger was on a little tuft of grass with a 500 foot cliff on 3 sides. Had he been able to jump, I'd still be out there picking up the pieces. He only went 3 or 4 feet after the shot.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/SheepHunt1046.jpg

base jumping????? :mrgreen:

09-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Agreed !
Anchor him through the shoulders, even still we just got back and the billy we scored on was 20 feet from continuing to fall another 300 if he had not hung up, make the first one count through both shoulders, which can also take out lung, quickly dying and be prepared for a follow up.
CT

ufishifish2
09-07-2010, 02:44 PM
base jumping????? :mrgreen:

God what I would have given for some sort of parasailing contraption.
Atleast if they do jump, you don't have to carry the meat all the way down.:twisted:

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 03:05 PM
So, has anyone actually seen a goat jump off a cliff? I have never witnessed this type of act. Seems strange to me. Almost myth like. Here we have this tough, hardy creature that takes the concept of survival to the nth degree by nature of where it lives and with every step it takes.

ufishifish2
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I think it is more like stumbling off the cliff. You'd fall off a cliff too if you had a 180 gr bullet tear through your body while perched on the edge of a cliff. I'm thinking that it may be enough to make you lose your balance as well as impede co-ordination.
And "yes", there are many videos on the net documenting flying goats.

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Any goat I ever shot or have been party to did its best to climb up and away. One that was perched on a cliff hung on for everything he had until he finally expired and fell. Never, ever seen one "jump" for it's life. If I ever do I will try to hit it while it is free falling. A humane thing to do IMHO.

d6dan
09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
So, has anyone actually seen a goat jump off a cliff? I have never witnessed this type of act. Seems strange to me. Almost myth like. Here we have this tough, hardy creature that takes the concept of survival to the nth degree by nature of where it lives and with every step it takes.

It happened to me back in the early 80's. Shot my 1st goat right in the boiler room at about 100yds with my dad's 270. The goat got up and pulled itself off a 200 ft cliff. I learned a lessen that day, never to have that happen again. What a friggin mess too!.. salvaged the horns (1 loose) ,cape (all tore up)and hind quarters. The rest was mush.
Started shooting them after that with my 338WM right through both shoulders and if they try to get up, shoot them again.

cavebear
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM
My buddy got an leh, a few years ago. He took out both front shoulders on the first round, thing dropped about 20 to 30 seconds later we hear thrashing and over goes the goat it started kicking with its back legs and went right over the edge. Worst part was it almost hit my buddy on its way down the mountain. :icon_frow

Moose72
09-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Well i guess shoulders it is then. Until it dont move.

pg83
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
We had a goat keep getting up shot after shot. Took three .308 Magnum to the lungs/heart before a spine shot finally put him down. I always shoot for the shoulders now. They are super tough animals.

leadpillproductions
09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
tough to move with two broke shoulders

peashooter
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
you know you could always go through the shoulders. i don't know where i come up with these ideas. :wink:

BCbillies
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
tough to move with two broke shoulders

Here's some recent footage . . . one shot through both shoulders. The billy's last thought was to make our day just a little more interesting and have us haul him out of the cliffs in the dark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwnzIQcbVw

Tenacious Billy
09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Another one bites the dust!!! Nice work guys!!

MattW
09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
I spined mine and that worked very well.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5/landrover88/smallgoat.jpg

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Here's some recent footage . . . one shot through both shoulders. The billy's last thought was to make our day just a little more interesting and have us haul him out of the cliffs in the dark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwnzIQcbVw

Good clip.
Not criticizing but it was kinda silly not to put another in him the second he lifted his head.

BCbillies
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Good clip.
Not criticizing but it was kinda silly not to put another in him the second he lifted his head.

Fair comment . . . I typically follow up pretty quick with a "give em another one" but I was not communicating very well that particular day!

peashooter
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Good clip.

he looked pretty done. he sorta rolled off not got up and jumped. i would have started celebrating when he balled up, never thought he would got himself over to the edge.

Amphibious
09-14-2010, 06:46 AM
shoulders! debone a goat and you'll consider all other BC game "light". the bone/muscle density and size of my old billy had me in awe, never seen anything like it.

speaking of goat.... 1000th post :p

Rodd
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I have seen many Goats tumble, some bad, some not so bad. I've even grabbed one with my hands and pulled him back from jumping 1500ft cliff. I agree with the big guns! These are the toughest animals in North America I believe! I've seen a goat shot more than 8 times through the boiler room before it even fell down!? And I've also lost a super trophy Billie myself after shooting it in the Timber at like 10yds right through both shoulders, his legs shot out like an a-frame, and then he walked on his back legs down and kicked his way off a huge cliff, and there was absouloutly no chance of recovery, and I'm a climber with the right gear. So its a matter of location for the the kill, I now wait until they are out feeding in the alpine if possible before plugging them!

northernhunter
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I've shot a few up here, and find through both shoulders works best. If he's still kickin give him another one. I have shot a nice billy in the davis keys and had him jump off a cliff, needless to say i was missing a horn when i picked him up. Good luck, and keep shooting till he stops kickin.

mod7rem
09-14-2010, 07:41 PM
In that footage I dont think it would matter how many you put in him. As soon as he wasnt holding himself in that bed, gravity took over. He didnt kick his way out of bed, gravity pulled a limp body. Sheep and goats look pretty solid in those beds but most of the time it is their muscles holding them there.

porcupine
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I just got back from goat hunting up north. My guide saide that the week befoe he had a hunter double lung and heart shoot a goat that then ran 200 yards and jumped right off a cliff. After going up and down the shale slope 5 times and only finding part of the horns he told me that you should only go up and down once as anything left is probably buried. I shot my billy as it lay in it's bed and put the bullet through both shoulders. It just dropped it's head and died. Beginners luck.

moose2
09-15-2010, 03:26 AM

The first goat I got was hit in the lungs at about 40 yards. It then turned and ran down the ridge and dissapeared. I found it in some small spruce about fifty feet directly below the ridge it was on. The other goat that wasn't hit ran in a different direction but was also standing by the same spruce when I looked over. I am not sure if the one that was hit jumped or fell, but it did run to the cliff away from the grass slope it was originally on.
MIKE