PDA

View Full Version : Quickest Way to Count Points....

Cyrus
09-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Bit of a dumb question....with Mule Deer gun season approaching on Friday for 4 point or better just wondering what you guys do to quickly count points before they screw off.....Was out scouting and saw a large buck but had a hard time counting the points before it took off. Any hints or suggestions,,, pretty sure it was a 4 pt or better but I have seen some big 3's as well.......Man is there a lot of bucks out there this year!!!! Saw 7 in 20 minutes of scouting!

35 Whelen
09-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Not a dumb question. I count points based on the fork in the antlers...easiest and fastest way in a quick situation. For elk I count the fork after the saber point. If it is forked after the saber ( 4th ) then it's a six point. If there is two forks after the saber....shoot !!!! Its a seven point.

So the same with muleys.....if you see two forks off the main beam, then you have a four point...remember the guard tine doesn't count on a mule deer. Only on a whitetail does the guard tine count.

That's how I do it.

Or a buddy of mine used to say...they are much easier to count when lying down...LOL......

Shooter
09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Easiest way is to spot them before they spot you :tongue:

bayou
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
[quote=35 Whelen;740254]Not a dumb question. I count points based on the fork in the antlers...easiest and fastest way in a quick situation. For elk I count the fork after the saber point. If it is forked after the saber ( 4th ) then it's a six point. If there is two forks after the saber....shoot !!!! Its a seven point.
Not a very good way to count 6 on an elk many bulls can be missing first,second or third point. Make sure you count 6 points before shooting if not sure let it walk.
So the same with muleys.....if you see two forks off the main beam, then you have a four point...remember the guard tine doesn't count on a mule deer. Only on a whitetail does the guard tine count.

That's how I do it.

Or a buddy of mine used to say...they are much easier to count when lying down...LOL......

Jelvis
09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
One fella out from back east was hunting for bucks and shot a four point buck, two points on each side, adds up to four he said .. a nice four pointer.
Jel .. I told him it don't matter .. it was any buck October .. lol ..

ELKOHOLICBC
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
With you on that one Bayou. Not a very smart suggestion about the way to count six pnts on an elk. Seen way too many illegal bulls in the bush left because someone counted three up top. Count all the points and make sure what your shooting at, everyone can make a mistake. Good optics help.

bridger
09-06-2010, 09:25 PM
easiest way to count points!! 1-2-3-4.

M.Dean
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Have a decent set of Bino's around your neck at all times, learn how to use them properly and your good to go! I've seen lots of bucks that at first glance were huge 4 points, glass them and there big three's. If you get the right angle, your counting 3 on the one side and a point or two from the opposite side! Every year some unlucky hunter see's a sure 4 point with his eye, up go's the rifle, bang and down go's a 3 point! I think the easiest way to count points is with 10x50 Bino's! And, if your not a 1000 percent sure, don't fire!!!