PDA

View Full Version : Question

FlyingHigh
04-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, i'll just be gettingserious about hunting this season and am wondering if I get lucky enough to make a kill, how much it generally costs to have an average deer made into farmer sausage?

Foxer
04-30-2006, 05:03 PM
What - the WHOLE DEER?

timberhunter
04-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Every meat cutter is different. They're somewhat close in cost per pound, but some are just out to lunch.

A better question would be, to post where you live. Then ask, if anyone in your area replies, who they take there game meat to. Then phone the butcher, and find out how much he charges. :)

The guys who live in your area will be able to tell you how good certain butchers are as well. Save you from getting a lousy end product, from a poor butcher.

Marc S.

3kills
04-30-2006, 09:10 PM
well it would be cheaper for u to bone out all the meat and then take it in to a butcher...if u take a whole deer to the butcher u are going to pay how ever much he charges per pound for boning and then anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 per pound of meat for processing....

Barracuda
04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
If all you want is gound meat and sausage you should really think about doing it yourself.

huntwriter
04-30-2006, 10:04 PM
With meat processors it's like with everything else, generally you get what you pay for. If they are cheap so is the work, quality and hygine standards they provide.

Foxer
04-30-2006, 11:43 PM
The meat processing itself is only about 40-50 cents a lb. That's what dimissio's charges - and it was quality work.

The sausage on the other hand :) Well it was brilliant but not cheap at all.

I'd say do it yourself. If you don't want to butcher the animal - get dimissos (i'm spelling that wrong aren't i?) to do the knife work, and make your own. I bet he'd have a pointer or two.

boonerbuck
05-01-2006, 03:28 AM
...and don't forget they like to add pork or it will be too dry. You pay for that also. It will be 20% pork added to the venison.

3kills
05-01-2006, 05:23 AM
if u are in around kamloops area go to TRU and talk to them about gettin it done up they are pretty cheap....and turn out a really good product and have probably the cleanest facility in the province...

mtnmax
05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I am in Kelowna and use a good ol german butcher. I take just the meat in ( we hang and de-bone ourselves ) and they charge 60cents to $2 /lb depending on what you want for sasauge. He usually adds 20% pork to my deer.
Always been happy with there quality.

Gunner
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I use BX sausage,in Vernon,great smokies,pepperoni,and Kubasa!:-D

mrdoog
05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Learn how to butcher the deer yourself.
My Dad and I learned how from an old Petersons Hunting magazine.
There are so many nice cuts of meat that come off a deer, it's a shame to grind it all up with pork into sausages.
You haven't lived until you've had BBQ'd venison chops, or venison round steak, made into Swiss steak.