PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Goat Discussion

WoodOx
09-06-2010, 11:51 AM
This thread got me pumped on my planned late season goat hunt: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49196&page=5

Want to open it up for discussion to experienced and nonexperienced the like to see the pros/cons, tips nad tricks for goats in the later season (mid oct on)

Why do you go then, or not?

Where do you hunt them (not location, but geographically with snow, etc).

Techniques?

Enjoy!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Hides are way better.

Goats will be lower.

Below the snowline.

When the rut starts, looks for the blackest goat on the mountain.

SSS

09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Sure wish I too could take a late Goat, as said hides are better, meat on the Billies is way stronger though. They are most of the time lower on the mountains but some do winter even higher then their summer range in specific areas. Your hunts later are usually more dangerous too, all round.

I Still want a long haired billy compared to the short haired ones. Same goes for Sheep, far more impressive the later in the season the animal is harvested.

CT

WoodOx
09-06-2010, 06:12 PM
When the rut starts, looks for the blackest goat on the mountain.

SSS

why black?

d6dan
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
why black?

Only the Billies will be black and thats usually on their hind ends. Its just dirt.

09-06-2010, 08:19 PM
We just got back from a Billy hunt and even now the mid aged bill we harvested was getting him self all dirty, they love to kick the sand, gravel and dirt up on them selves and fluff up their bedding area's as we watched this a number of times over the last few days.
When the season drags on the bills appear filthy, they are characters.

Good luck too you.

CT

ydouask
09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Be careful with the " black billy" gender identification clue. The billies scrape out a bed and urinate in it. Then they lay in the muck and scrape-kick it up on their sides and back half predominantly... now they'll get up , freshen the bed with another shot of urine, turn around and repeat the procedure on their other side. The Nannies must love the strong smell that results. As you can imagine, doing that all day and night for weeks on end makes for pretty strong scent advertising !
I have seen Nannies bed down in a Billies bed and get a very black , usually rain or wet snow saturated mud on their haunches.... but never as black as the Billy where the mud starts just behind the front shoulder and is scooped right up and over their rumps. Confused yet???

BCbillies
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Come November the mature billies come down into accessible terrain and are somewhat distracted! Can allow for some entertainment and great opportunities to get up close.

If you can get above them it's usually to your advantage but this is tougher on a late fall hunt.

If your hunting coastal be prepared for wet miserable weather. If you know where they winter you can find them in the timber on the wet days. Usually see more goats when the sun shines but not when it's 30 below and windy.

End of November and into December are prime time for avalanches plus it makes for tough hunting on short days.

ARC
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I tried to hold out until the late season last year. I found my success really depended on the type of country I was hunting. Hiking up the steep timber-covered hillsides with snow on the ground was fine. However,to get to the one basin where I knew the goats would be I had to cross a rock slide and an avananche chute....it wasn't much fun with 10 inches of snow on the ground. Crossing the avalanche chute I was walking on top of fallen trees and alders. A couple times I took a step and busted through snow covered alders and branches and ended up in a hole up to my neck. On the rockslide I would take my time, testing each step, but even then I fell hard a couple of times on the rocks. I was hunting solo, and remember thinking I could have very easily gotten myself into trouble with a sprained ankle or other injury.

WoodOx
09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
right on guys great info on here!
Any particular kinds of terrain goat move into - i.e. from cliffs onto slides, etc, as the season progresses? or, "the are where ya find it" still apply...

BCbillies
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
right on guys great info on here!
Any particular kinds of terrain goat move into - i.e. from cliffs onto slides, etc, as the season progresses? or, "the are where ya find it" still apply...

The billies move from higher cliffs to lower cliffs as the rut starts. You will find them feeding in the slide alder and perched on bluffs but not far from the cliffs. The term "accessible" is relative as many will still out of reach for either a well placed shot or retrieval. What is accessible for some is not so for others! :wink:

WoodOx
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
thanks BCB

behemoth
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
What about the whole thing that they are mostly found on south facing slopes?

Is this even true? Better on SW or SE facing ??

You experienced goat hunters, where do you find them? Anyone shoot one on a north facing slope? Early season or late season?

BlacktailStalker
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Many guys say the goats often hang out in unaccessible rocks. Obviously they have to eat/drink so if you spot a 'good one' is it reasonably possible to wait them out ?

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I once tried to wait one out for a week. He appeared to have nothing available to eat. He survived on water dripping from a crack in the rock and vegetation that was barely visible at 60X. Could have possibly hit him from below but he would have been a jellied mess at the bottom. If he got hung up only the ravens would gain access.

behemoth
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Anyone have the dirt on north/ south facing slopes??

swampthing
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I never really thought about north/south slopes but thinking back now I think south is where they mostly fell. I mostly hunt goat before oct 15. Maybe not this year. Work is gettin in the way.