PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinder

clell
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi
Anyone using the Cabelas brand meat grinder? I am thinking of getting the 1 hp.
We get deer, moose, and raise our own pigs so would like to make a fair amount of sausages each year.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Clell

3kills
09-06-2010, 09:44 AM
i use a lil waring pro from crappy tire every year and it does the job quite well. have put two moose an elk and bout 4 or 5 deer through it since i got it.

Bow Walker
09-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't know the brands but I've been a meatcutter for over 30 years, a bit of advice (for what it's worth) don't skimp on the motor size. Better a larger, stronger motor than one that might burn out after a year or three.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi
Anyone using the Cabelas brand meat grinder? I am thinking of getting the 1 hp.
We get deer, moose, and raise our own pigs so would like to make a fair amount of sausages each year.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Clell

ya i have one they work great..buy extra cutting blades in case it breaks they don't like bullets that much:wink:

srupp
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
yes I have the Cabelas 1 1/2 hp grinder

QUIET,, powerful, efficient..highly recom:mrgreen:ended

As with any grinder well chilled meat works best the size of the hopper and opening means BIG chunks can be easily fed... shortens the time to grind.

We have had 3 guys working @ the grinder..one passing and cutting oversized pieces..one just to keep the hopper filled..and one to guide the meat down the throat of the machine...3 guys cant keep up with this beast with well chiilled meat...

yup and the bigger motor means the machine doesnt strain..keeps on humming and spitting out burger...

takes longer to clean the machine than grind the meat..

hope this helps..I got 2 extra blades and a couple extra plates..think its size #42??

steven

igojuone
09-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Having used a smaller grinder I would definitely go with the largest you can afford and have space for. Only putting a few deer through mine I can say if it was a moose or elk I wouldn't even think about it using a smaller sized grinder.

3kills
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Having used a smaller grinder I would definitely go with the largest you can afford and have space for. Only putting a few deer through mine I can say if it was a moose or elk I wouldn't even think about it using a smaller sized grinder.

mine is a lil grinder and i have put moose and elk through it.

high and to the right
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
If you have a crew to do the meat then you will be frustrated with a small grinder. I work alone and find that my small electric grinder from Cabelas works for me. It's a bit slow but I don't grind the whole animal at once which is why it's probably not burned out over the last 15 years of use. I trim a bit off the quarter, then cut it into pieces, grind it, put it in a plastic tub and then go back and repeat the process again. When the grinding is done I wrap it all. I bring meat to my two kids families and they like ground the best so I've ground up 3/4 of a moose and often a moose and an elk every fall.

If price isn't an issue and speed is a necessity - there are lots of great grinders out there.

sawmill
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Get a sausage stuffer too,I have one coming from Cabelas.My grinder won`t stuff without the grinder plate in and that makes the meat too fine.I plan to make a lot of smokies with big hunks of cheese in them so the 2 speed crank stuffer is the answer.200$

Bow Walker
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
A few helpful hints...

Get at least three sizes of plates. One fine grind, one medium grind, and one coarse grind. Then get a blade for each plate. Don't switch blades or plates - keep them matched up. It'll cut down on the emulsifying or mushing of the meat as it comes through the plate.

Keep the collar of the head nice and tight so the blade is actually cutting the meat, not mushing it up.

Also keep the whole grinding head in the fridge or cooler between grindings. A warm grinding head will mush the meat instead of cutting and grinding it. When you're ready to do some grinding put the whole head in the fridge for an hour or so before using it - get it COLD.

Gr8 white hunter
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
check out ebay half the price equal the quality

houndogger
09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
A few helpful hints...

Get at least three sizes of plates. One fine grind, one medium grind, and one coarse grind. Then get a blade for each plate. Don't switch blades or plates - keep them matched up. It'll cut down on the emulsifying or mushing of the meat as it comes through the plate.

Keep the collar of the head nice and tight so the blade is actually cutting the meat, not mushing it up.

Also keep the whole grinding head in the fridge or cooler between grindings. A warm grinding head will mush the meat instead of cutting and grinding it. When you're ready to do some grinding put the whole head in the fridge for an hour or so before using it - get it COLD.
Those are some great tips! thanks

Sitkaspruce
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
We have the Waring Pro for a grinder.

It has done 4 moose, 1 elk, too many deer and three bears and still works like the day we bought it (10 years ago).

Still, when it does go, we will be buying a 1-1.5 hp grinder so that we never have to buy another one again.

I will second the stuffer. We bought the 11lbs from Cabalas last year and it is amazing. So easy to use, makes the grinder a weak link for stuffing (no pun intended).

Cheers

SS

pearljam
09-06-2010, 04:12 PM
My 1hp LEM grinder is awesome! Big is the only way to go. you wont regret it!

clell
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info.
I was thinking the 1 hp might be a bit big, but now I think it would be about right.
Clell

MBOGO
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I have had the 1hp cabelas for three years. Have grounds lots and made alot of sausage, we love it. Wish i had of got it years before