PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Lake?

RoscoeP
09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Has anyone hunted in this general area, about 15 km from Logan lake? I will be going there in Oct this year with my son(our 1st. big game hunt together and his first big game hunt) The area around there is MU 3-18 and 3-19. I rented a cabin figuring it would be easier for his first hunt. If things go well maybe we may try the wall tent thing next year and get the real hunting experence. I hear there are Mulies and whitetails in the area also some moose.
If you have been up there let me know about your experence. Thanks

fuzzy
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
i went up there for my first big game hunt last year, i personally didnt get anything but others in the party did, the guy who runs the resort is friendly and will give you a map and tell you where he has either seen sign or where others have

the older cabins are rustic but clean, i enjoyed myself

fuzzy

RoscoeP
09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
i went up there for my first big game hunt last year, i personally didnt get anything but others in the party did, the guy who runs the resort is friendly and will give you a map and tell you where he has either seen sign or where others have

the older cabins are rustic but clean, i enjoyed myself

fuzzy
Hey Fuzzy what time of year were you up there? Also what did your friends get, mullies or whitetails? Thanks for your reply. Cheers

fudge
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I hunt up there every year and we have always got something in the group. Lots of easy walking the cabins are nice.

bsa30-06
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
This may help http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/webcam.php
there is a hunting and fishing report as well as a web cam over lookin the lake.

fuzzy
09-06-2010, 07:06 AM
it was in november close to the end of the season, we saw lots deer, mostly blacktail, some moose sign and my bud shot a smaller blacktail buck. it got down to about -20 or so at night but was really comfortable for walking around during the day.

fuzzy

digger dogger
09-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Fuzzy, did ya mean mulie? RoscoeP, I shot my first white tail @ Tunkwa.
More mule deer there for sure, Kill a wolf if you get a chance they are moving in!!

Grousedaddy
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Anybody hunt tunkwa late like 2011 season? How is it there early october?

onpoint
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I hunted there the Remembrance Day weekend a couple seasons ago, pretty busy place and the area was well travelled but lots of area to hunt as well. Tons of road access and if you have a quad bring it. We got a pile of snow that weekend as well and there was a fair amount up high too that had been falling regularly so tracking, scouting good areas was easier in the higher country. Mostly saw mulies but there are apparently decent numbers of WT as well. We struck out when we were there but if we'd had the doe draw it would have been an easy meat hunt. Was there back in the spring and must have seen 50+ deer (mulies primarily) in 2 days fishing there and driving around. They all looked they'd wintered really well.

specbelly
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Lot's of mulies around, just get off the road a ways and they are there. I have seen a fair amount of moose in the area but to the east of Tunkwa closer to the Coke hiway. For whitetails, hunt the bush along the powerline right near Tunkwa Lake, but again get off the roads, cattle trails and get in the bush a ways. There are lots of deer around and if you get back a bit, no other hunters to speak of. Lots of Black Bears as well.

280 77
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
The area has decent mule populations and a few whitey's , it is busy like most of the Kamloops area . Many of the former quading trails are now shut down , but the main roads are open for motor vehicle use. The resort is a good central location and you should see something during any buck season. Have fun and good luck.

keithb7
07-24-2012, 07:07 AM
I have hunted there in the past and will go their again, but will pick and choose my days wisely. It can be very busy. I too have seen white tail, mulie, and moose there. A little too busy for my liking. Maybe I am a little spoiled living in Kamloops, there are many other areas I also visit.

doubled
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Lots of deer there. Talk to Richard at the resort and he will point you in the right way. Say hi to him for me.

thatskindafunny
07-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Was there 2 years ago. Was't impressed at all. A shit load of money for real rustic cabins. Running water was run to the toilet shed to get it. Richard talked in cirlcles and didn't make sense at all. When the long weekend in November came after running into 25 to 30 quads before 11:00 am we were back at the cabin having a cold beer and called it a trip and went home. We like to find a spot and walk all day but no dice. The high light of the trip is we went to the little coffee shop in Savona and had the best breakfast ever. Live and learn. Just my opinion, maybey I have it too good in my favourit spots where I don't see any hunters all season long and very few in others.

Greenfields
07-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Lots of deer there. Talk to Richard at the resort and he will point you in the right way. Say hi to him for me.

Ditto, Richard is a good guy, very free with info and support. Al seems to think the whitetails are his personal critters, so don't expect much advice about them from him. The majority of Whitetails I have seen are on the Westside of the road that splits 3-18/3-17 and a whole whack of them are just southwest of the resort. You need to get off the roads and in some cases even the quad trails. Ton's of game.

Cheers

cameron0518
07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Hit it every year. We always get something. Lots of mulies and have seen plenty of whities. If you are in the right spot, you will see some moose too. Usually get a poke at a coyote or two as well. Guys are usually pretty friendly up there.

Jelvis
07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Tunkwa is all about hunting for deer and moose in habitat and eco system like no where else. It has a feel and a look all to itself, it reeks of deer and moose. Every where you drive around Tunkwa is game country galore.
This area has big blue grouse, fishing and is inviting to any deer hunter.
Up from Cherry Creek or up from Savano or down from Logan Lake it's preemo mule deer habitat with some moose.
Get up early before light, get ready and go, then drive slow to any nice spot and have a marvelous day hunting in eye popping big game hunting scenery.
Jel .. The looks of the place will give you a lift .. Beauty area to walk slow and explore .. you can hike all day ..
Or drive the roads and see game early or later on in the day from the road in spots ..

Glenny
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
All shot out! Naah... Nothen doin in those parts Jel http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/nest.gif

Grousedaddy
07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys i live nearby in kamloops and plan to start the scouting trips nxt weekend. Cant be as busy as my usual spot up at jamieson creek so im not concerned with other hunters we still pulled a 4c3 out of jamieson and that place is as busy as safeway... Maybe you will meet us up there Jelvis and show the local boys the area Hahaha

swampdonkey
07-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys i live nearby in kamloops and plan to start the scouting trips nxt weekend. Cant be as busy as my usual spot up at jamieson creek so im not concerned with other hunters we still pulled a 4c3 out of jamieson and that place is as busy as safeway... Maybe you will meet us up there Jelvis and show the local boys the area Hahaha
Jelvis only hunts the chartrand

Grousedaddy
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
If he hunts at all could b any body behind that keyboard