PDA

View Full Version : wall tent chimney setups

fuzzy
09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
good afternoon

i just got myself a 10x12 wall tent that has a 6" stove jack on the back wall. i am in the process of building myself a stove that is 22 inches deep 18 inches wide and 17 inches tall. my only concerns are how to exhaust it properly. should i just run galvanised snap-lock pipe with your normal adjustable elbows? once outside the tent how far away to you run your pipe before another 90 degree elbow. are any of you supporting your pipe once out of the tent?how high do you finally terminate the pipe at and what are people using for a chimney cap??

all and any input is appreciated

thanks

fuzzy

quadrakid
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Just make sure your pipe terminates at a point higher than the peak of the tent. If you do a google image search on wall tents you can see plenty of pics of stovepipe set ups. got to love the heat in the wall tent.

K-1
09-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I us a 3ft. pipe from the inside elbow to the outside elbow. Then 2, 3ft pipes up,. We tie the upright pipe to a support, I don't use a top cap. The draft & heat is enough to keep the rain & snow out of the pipe.

dmace
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Don't use galvanized pipe !!! Use black stove pipe. The zinc will burn off the galv. pipe and this is poiseness .
Cnada tire or a stove shop has the pipe you want.

burger
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Use black stove pipie in the tent but once you leave a 26 gauge galvanized pipe will work just fine. No risk of poisioning in the tent and a heck of a lot cheaper.

09-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Don't use galvanized pipe !!! Use black stove pipe. The zinc will burn off the galv. pipe and this is poiseness .
Cnada tire or a stove shop has the pipe you want.

This is good advice, made this mistake with the first stove and was lucky enought to get away with it but it could have been bad.

The Hermit
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
If you are in Victoria get your pipe at Wilks Stoves on Burnside.

BCBRAD
09-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Use a 5" pipe, angle it through the 6" hole, reduscer's and 6 to 5 inch adapters for differant angles are available. You need clearance anyway to the back wall and a 5 " pipe won't hinder anything at all, the wall is the pipe support. might be to simple, see alot of out the wall pipes come up from the coast, all seem overly complicated. We use pipes on our 4 tents staight through the roof ............no problems as we do not tarp a canvas tent .

BCBRAD
09-08-2010, 06:11 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/huntingsept2009058.jpg

Look at the pipe on pyramid tent, one variable elbow at stove then pipe out ,and wall supporting pipe

Ruger4
09-08-2010, 07:01 AM
...........have a barrel stove , stovepipe , elbows etc available if anyone is interested , I have pics avble , stove is in Kelowna.

Rob

fuzzy
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM
lol, this is funny cause i am a tinbasher by trade, i was just curious what peoples setups were. i know i could copy just about any setup and was curious what seemed to work best for people. keep the advice and pics coming.

thanks
fuzzy

ryanb
09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I have the pipe in the side wall. I use two 90 degree elbows and enough pipe to get about 1' above the top of the wall. You oviously need something to support the pipe outside as well. Make sure to fasten the pipe to the stove somehow as this is usually where things come apart.

Ideally, if i could find them, something like a 60 degree elbow would be better for the draft.

burger
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I have the pipe in the side wall. I use two 90 degree elbows and enough pipe to get about 1' above the top of the wall. You oviously need something to support the pipe outside as well. Make sure to fasten the pipe to the stove somehow as this is usually where things come apart.

Ideally, if i could find them, something like a 60 degree elbow would be better for the draft.

All elbows are adjustable from 90 to 0. So your 60 degree elbow is already in your hands.

257WBYMAG
09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Ok I just purchased a stove for the wall tent. Come with Galvenized colapsable pipe, I have burned the stove outside to cure the paint. I have never heard about poisoning from galvenized pipe. Whats this all about?

dutchie
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
lol, this is funny cause i am a tinbasher by trade, i was just curious what peoples setups were. i know i could copy just about any setup and was curious what seemed to work best for people. keep the advice and pics coming.

thanks
fuzzy

PM bcsteve... I emailed all of my drawings for my stove a while back and there were three ways of doing it...

I can search for the email too if you would like. I will just have to sift through 20,000 emails.

Dutchie

fuzzy
09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
i wouldnt worry about the galv pipe unless you get it hot enough to see it smoking, i cant remember the temp this happens at but i dont think the stove pipe will get that hot

fuzzy

ultramafic
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Dutchie

Your drawings may have been posted as a picture in this thread from last year. page 2 if I am not mistaken.

This may also be of some help to the original poster too since I believe that the topics were similar.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36733

mike

bcsteve
09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultramafic saw this thread before I did, thanks Mike.

Our set up ended being pretty sturdy. The only thing I've changed from the picture is what I had mentionned, I reversed all the pipes so creosote would not drip down the seams. We had this set up on our bison hunt in November and again had some strong winds with no issues.

fuzzy
09-11-2010, 09:05 PM
thanks for all the replies guys

i bought some pipe and 2 adjustable elbows at home hardware today. i set up my tent and got everything kinda cobbled together and a fire burning. Holy crap, i think my stove is more than a little overkill, 4 hours later with minimal wood and with it dampered right down i still have a great coal base that as soon as i open the door flares right up. i am verry glad i did this as the black pipe definetly needed to be "seasoned" and i needed to learn how to damper my stove properly(almost set tent on fire). i will see how this performs next weekend in a little cooler weather, i may possibly make a smaller stove as well just for ease of transport.

fuzzy