PDA

View Full Version : pup has a fall

fuzzy
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
So i had my 3.5 month old bouvier pup out playing this morning and he fell about 3 of 4 feet. He fell kind of awkward feet first but then onto his side. He cried bloody murder at first and i thought he had seriously hurt himself. I immediatly cradled him and started going over him to see if i could find the source of pain. Nothing really seemed to trigger a more active response from him and he calmed down and was walking around again within a min or two albiet with a pretty good limp on his front right. I also made sure that i watched when he did his business to make sure that his urine and stool were normal and that is all good.

he just got up from about a 2 or 3 hour nap and is limping again but as he moves more he seems to limber up. Is there anything i can do to help him limber up or heal quickly, i am kind of at a loss of what to do besides massaging him where i think he may have hurt himself i would hate to think that he could possibly have a long term injury from this for being so small still

any input is appreciated,

or am i just being a bitch:mrgreen:

fuzzy

bsa30-06
09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
i would watch him closely and see if that limp goes away,if he is still limping in a day or two an x-ray may be best.

newhunterette
09-05-2010, 02:46 PM
is he eating and drinking fine, keep an eye on him that he doesnt vomit,
if he begins to vomit or becomes very lathargic I would take him into the vet immediately, good thinkin checking to be sure he is doing his toileting business normally, keep doing that because a sure sign of internal bleeds are blood in stool and urine, you can give him ibuprophen but dosage depends on his weight and age.

if you have real concerns for him, call your vet or a vet emergency line and ask them - if he is walking and not wincing and isn't showing signs that he is extremely tender then I wold believe he is okay however chances are he is just going to have some bruising from the fall and not require x-rays.

keep him comfortable, you could give him a warm water bottle to snuggle onto his soar area or a nice warm bath.

treat him how you would if you took a good fall, it will take time for him to heal

if he is still showing signs of favouring areas of his body or limping, I would take him to be checked over, for your piece of mind and his health

britman101
09-05-2010, 02:48 PM
To put your mind at ease, you could take him in on Tuesday to your vet and have him checked out. If the limp is pretty pronounced the vet may want to take an x-ray to make sure there is not a fracture. Other than that if it improves tonight it probably is badly bruised in that area.
On a side note, we had a cat fall out of the bedroom window last week as two of them were playing and one got pushed through the window along with the screen. When I got down there, the cat was a little dazed but none the worse for wear (10 foot fall at least). The wife called the vet and we monitored the lil bugger for a few days and there is absolutely no sign of an injury. I am amazed to say the least.

fuzzy
09-05-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks for the replies guys, the little guy seems to be bouncing back pretty well, i took a second look to where he fell from and it was about a full 6 feet. he isnt really limping any more i think he just stiffend up during his nap, and seems to be full of piss and vinegar again. i will be keeping an eye on him for a couple of days for sure though.

fuzzy

bsa30-06
09-05-2010, 05:11 PM
thanks for the replies guys, the little guy seems to be bouncing back pretty well, i took a second look to where he fell from and it was about a full 6 feet. he isnt really limping any more i think he just stiffend up during his nap, and seems to be full of piss and vinegar again. i will be keeping an eye on him for a couple of days for sure though.

fuzzy

glad to hear it.......got any pics of the little guy.

newhunterette
09-05-2010, 05:38 PM

fuzzy

Glad the little guy is doing better and seems no worse for where after his fall.

dutchie
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Dogs are robust.

One of my freinds Swiss mountain dogs (he was 3 or 4 months old) ran off the deck and landed 15 feet down on concrete 2 times. He limped it off and was fine.

Keep an eye on him and he will get better.

Dutchie