PDA

View Full Version : My First Bow hunt!

killman
09-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Well it started a little later than the 1St of Sept due to work. So on Friday evening after work I rushed out to my spot that I had picked and prepared the tree I had chose. Did a dry run going up and down the tree in the climber I had built, trimming branches on the way, I was set! Arrived back home at 9:30 and went over the gear and clothes one more time yes I was ready. Decided it gets light around 6:00 am so I wanted to be in my stand before then, with a 45 min drive I figured I need to rise bout 4:30. The alarm rings seem like seconds after I finally sleep. What! already? I thought hey it's your Birthday have another 12min and Hit the snooze :???:.
Next thing I know I see a crack of light behind the blind, Shit! Fly out of bed and I am on my way at 6:00:evil:. It was a quicker drive than normal. As I am rounding the last bend in the small road before my trail to the stand there at the trail head it the Biggest Bull Elk that I have seen in these parts. I could not believe my eyes. I guess he could not believe his either because he immediately bolted down the trail. I immediately parked and grabbed my gear and snuck in the trail but seen or heard nothing. I climbed in my stand and got a comfortable as possible. I proceeded to call through out the whole day every hour or so, but nothing. The only entertainment was the damn squirrels (that I so wanted to kill) chucking cones from the top of a near by tree.
So I guess the moral of the story is don't be a dip-shit and sleep in:cry:. I have also learned that sitting in a stand for 12 hours will make you crazy.
I should add something else I discovered. While sitting in a stand for hours on end I found I was unable to draw my bow untill I stood up and moved around and warmed up. I was quite surprise, I have never had a issue pulling it while practising. Just thought I would add that for any others that are new to treestand bow hunting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/killin_machine.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/stand0817.jpg

mcrae
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Its was much the same for me but my area use to be a road closure they took down the closure this year so you could walk in all day and never see anybody. Well lets just say it was the place to be this last week...

Oh well thats the breaks LOL...

Keep at it though you will get one eventually...

oopswasthatyourdog?
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
LOL........Move the stand to the trail head!

BearSniper
09-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow

I've worked 12 hour shifts all my life with little happening on nites to make it extra boring.

But 12 hours in a tree stand would be a very long day.

However, it would seem your patience may someday pay off as many fellas do eventually get thier game that way.

Bow Walker
09-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I know of guys who take a pocket book to the stand (along with lunch, a pee-pail, and some candies) just so they don't get bored outta their skulls and fall asleep. Just don't fidget too much while you're getting out your eats.

Reading a book keeps you awake, it keeps you still, and it allows you to just lift your eyes now and then for a scan of the area.

:idea: As for cramped, cold, inactive muscles - try isometric exercises every 30 to 40 minutes to keep the blood flowing.

oopswasthatyourdog?
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
:idea: As for cramped, cold, inactive muscles - try isometric exercises every 30 to 40 minutes to keep the blood flowing.

Now that you are older you can do some Kegel exercises in your stand.......:mrgreen:

I bring a book while stand hunting....One stand on the farm we hunt has a lazyboy in it! I avoid that one as I've been known to wake up in there wayyyyyy after sundown. :redface:

oopswasthatyourdog?
09-05-2010, 09:45 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2m3206v.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2010, 06:18 AM
You thought it was hard to draw your bow after sitting still for hours and hours in Sept?? Just wait until you try it in November:-?. Good idea to go with a bow that's very easy to draw in ideal situations.

Now get back up that tree!!!:)

SSS

killman
09-06-2010, 08:23 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2m3206v.jpg

LOL thanks Ooops that's awesome.:mrgreen: