PDA

View Full Version : bison 7-57 b

mudNblood
09-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I've drawn oct1-15 for zone b. My confusion is the access road to the old air strip (where I hear one can camp). Is the turn off before Sikanni Cheif or after? Any other info regarding better camp suggestions, where to start looking etc. Is there a problem accessing the hunting grounds via quads this time of year. Thanks so much for any tidbits of info you fellas could provide.

Bighorn hunter
09-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Same turn off

Good luck
BH

tomahawk
09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
The access rd is after the Sikanni crossing.

Bighorn hunter
09-05-2010, 09:01 AM
oops my bad,, thought you were talking about the sikanni river outfitter turn off. I believe it is mile 172? on the highway

browningboy
09-05-2010, 09:41 AM
You can also camp along mile 152 and go in towards the ranch and take the trail, the airstrip you take the first left after the sikiini crossing (bridge) and its well marked, lots of people go there as they go to redfern etc. from there, this area holds guides etc...
Bring lots of whiskey and at least drink a 26er' a day as that will help you find the buffalo and plus all the locals like the hard stuff!
Good luck.:mrgreen:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
You can also camp along mile 152 and go in towards the ranch and take the trail, the airstrip you take the first left after the sikiini crossing (bridge) and its well marked, lots of people go there as they go to redfern etc. from there, this area holds guides etc...
Bring lots of whiskey and at least drink a 26er' a day as that will help you find the buffalo and plus all the locals like the hard stuff!
Good luck.:mrgreen:

try mile 171 not 152 :wink:

browningboy
09-05-2010, 10:04 AM
try mile 171 not 152 :wink:

The road to the the blueberry ranch is 152, well anyway I'm pretty sure in which is across the road from Maies Diner, in about 20 kms, follows the ranch land to the right about another 4kms and theres a good camp ground area at the trailhead up and around the corner ( I think:wink:)... Thats where a trail leads to where he's going in a way but it's all quadding and gumbo, be prepared.:mrgreen:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-05-2010, 10:10 AM
The road to the the blueberry ranch is 152, well anyway I'm pretty sure in which is across the road from Maies Diner, in about 20 kms, follows the ranch land to the right about another 4kms and theres a good camp ground area at the trailhead up and around the corner ( I think:wink:)... Thats where a trail leads to where he's going in a way but it's all quadding and gumbo, be prepared.:mrgreen:

wrong again he is talking 7-57b not A and the road to the ranch is mile 147 to the halfway trail .. he needs to go in at mile 171 to the sikanni river ranch and hit that trail....(I DONT THINK I KNOW:mrgreen:)

bc kid
09-05-2010, 10:10 AM
i was up there last year 152 but you cant use it unless you pay 175 per person to the natives just past sikkini chief the red fern trail about 20 k in would be your best bet good luck

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
i was up there last year 152 but you cant use it unless you pay 175 per person to the natives just past sikkini chief the red fern trail about 20 k in would be your best bet good luck

?????? WHY GIVE MISS IMFORMATION

Bear Chaser
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
wrong again he is talking 7-57b not A and the road to the ranch is mile 147 to the halfway trail .. he needs to go in at mile 171 to the sikanni river ranch and hit that trail....(I DONT THINK I KNOW:mrgreen:)

X2. Very diplomatic.
Btw May's Kitchen is across from Mile 147.

bc kid
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
not giving miss info i now the area you haveto go past the chief turn left drive to the red fern trail it is a sensitive area 400 meter rule applys the only thing is lots of people that time of year

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
not giving miss info i now the area you haveto go past the chief turn left drive to the red fern trail it is a sensitive area 400 meter rule applys the only thing is lots of people that time of year

wow..you are just full of knowledge....hmmm if i was him i think i would stay on the sikanni river trail... where the majority of the bison are...not saying there is no bison in red-fern but the sikanni is allot easier.....OH by the way the red-fern is past the buckinghorse river to your left at 178 and you don't have to pay the natives 175$ to use the halfway trail you can go around......

bc kid
09-05-2010, 11:01 AM
you are right about sikanni but i thought he was asking about the old air strip by the camp and last year there was a fee on pink mt rd sounds like you know the area not trying to give miss info its just along way for someone to go just trying to help zone b can be a hard hunt

browningboy
09-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Gotcha, anyhow go there.:mrgreen:

tomahawk
09-06-2010, 09:50 AM
wow..you are just full of knowledge....hmmm if i was him i think i would stay on the sikanni river trail... where the majority of the bison are...not saying there is no bison in red-fern but the sikanni is allot easier.....OH by the way the red-fern is past the buckinghorse river to your left at 178 and you don't have to pay the natives 175$ to use the halfway trail you can go around......

Good thing you are helping out Jamie, lots of info you have straightened out which was off the track!!

mudNblood
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I appreciate all your info guys.
One other question:
300 win mag with 180 gr nosler partions is what i typically shoot for moose, in your experiences would this pack enough "thump" for the bison?

tomahawk
09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I appreciate all your info guys.
One other question:
300 win mag with 180 gr nosler partions is what i typically shoot for moose, in your experiences would this pack enough "thump" for the bison?

Lots of thump, my 06 with 180 noslers stopped a bull from going more then 28 yds, shot placement is key as there vital area is not the same as any other ungulates we hunt.

pinofire
09-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Mile 171 there is a big white sign on the side of the road follow that in and you will hit the air strip. I did the trip with quads last year in november

Chironomid_16
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I dont know why they are not listening, sheep.elk.moose fanatic knows his shit, listen to him.

Jamie, I appologize for not stopping in, we got stuck behind the Watson lake fire and had to come home through PG. Will be up this December.

tomahawk
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
MudNblood, sheep.elk.moose fanatic lives at and owns the Pink Mtn Motel right near area "B", so this area is his back yard and the man knows it inside out.

mudNblood
09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
i'll be sure to pop in and say hi.
Thanks again. if any one is in the area 1st week, be sure to pop in for a little whiskey and swap some tales round the campfire.