PDA

View Full Version : Skeena Region Goat hunt

Samsquantch
09-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Me and my old man got rained off the mountain after three days and two wet soaking nights in the alpine around terrace chasing billy goats. Couldnt even glass the mountain for more than a minute at a time. Saw three billies in a break in the cloud. One came over the ridge, fed down a steep draw and back over inabout fiften minutes. the other two just hung out in the cliffs, all in places that I wouldnt want to take a shot at them, absolutely gnarly country where these things can hang out. If you didnt sit it down on the first shot you would be in a world of trouble getting the animal out.
Time to lick my wounds, dry out and gear up for an october hunt.
If anyone wants pictures they can come later in the week. Nuts to the alpine clouds and extreme rainfall warnings, Im going fishing.
Round one goes to Gruff.

cavebear
09-05-2010, 07:49 AM
goota love mother nature, :icon_frow:-D

ThinAir
09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
And to think......the weather gets worse in Oct/Nov.

Hopefully things go better for ya.

Samsquantch
09-05-2010, 09:18 AM
next weekend is looking alright so far.

BromBones
09-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Skeena mtns can get pretty sloppy this time of year. Sometimes a late fall hunt is the ticket.

shawnwells
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
dude sorry about your luck sounds like my elk hunting this weekend....soggy than shit...close calls but nothing hangin...regroup and get at it again....sigh

BCbillies
09-05-2010, 01:25 PM
It pounded rain pretty hard here last week making goat hunting even tougher. August and February typically provide the best weather months for goat hunting . . . ideal if a guy can be on standby and hunt when the weather improves but most of us have work and family commitments that aren't always flexible!

Mik
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
That is what goat hunting is all about! Fogged in, rained out, etc etc. But you always go back! Early goat hunts they could be low? Sometimes! Then one waits, the goats go higher up! Chance, but that's what makes Mt. Goat hunting fun. Best of luck next time around.