PDA

View Full Version : Meindl Boots

combine pilot
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
While taking a short break from our busy and cruelling jobs :mrgreen: Moose2 and myself revisited an age old question: What is a good hunting boot :confused:. Moose2 stated that his Canada Pro Meindls are not worthy of the extra cost as they leak. I on the other hand think my Meindl Canada boot by Cabelas are the best thing since sliced bread. :) I have had these boots for 10-11 years and average 20-30 days a year sheep and goat hunting :-D, 30-40 days a year hunting everything else :-D and have never had a problem. Moose2 bought his last year. When we revisited an old thread from this site there was lots of negative feed back about the Canada Pro Meindl. So, I was just looking for some clarification on exactly which boots everyone was using, because they are different boots. Another question I have is: Has anyone used the Kenetrek boot and if so what you think of them.

338 winmag
09-05-2010, 07:18 AM
My Canada Meindls came apart on me, apparently fairly common with this boot. Cabelas replaced them but still a bit of a risk if a guy was on a fly in hunt.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/P5120012.jpg

BlacktailStalker
09-05-2010, 07:49 AM
What the problem is when they started using the cheaper leather on the Canada pros, it has that "roughed" look and offers little to no support after short useage (as little as a couple days in my case and HBC mark's, BCRams to name a couple)
Clearly, they flushed quality for profit and pumped out the same boots that had a good name for themselves 5-6 years prior and MANY people got suckered into thinking they were getting a quality boot.
Not sure if you remember how I was walking after that sheep hunt with mwj... but those are the boots you speak of :mad:

I also had a pair of Meindle Makalus that were great boots, however the lining in the toes pinched forward, forming a ridge that made a pressure point on my toes, creating severe bruising. I sent them in to be repaired and they relasted them, refinished them and somehow shrunk them (obviously heated the boot toes to press the ridge of lining down) rendering them useless to me.
They were a size too small when I got them back and all attempts to have this resolved were futile and tiring :mad:

I am running Meindl Dovers now (given to me as replacements after a very lenghty, teeth pulling warranty process on the Canada pros) and they have stood up "ok" after about 150 days, ranging from sheep, deer, elk hunting and many days following hounds.
I need to pick up a set of insulated boots for winter and I am on the fence as to what to get.

The new maker of Kenntrek apparently came from Shnees and is highly regarded and makes a solid boot. I dont think you would be disappointed.
Majority on here seems to vouche for Hanwags, although made by Mendl, I am skeptical of their warranty process from past experience and that alone has kept me from trying a pair.
The Diottos made a real nice boot, I tried to find a pair but was unsuccessful and now I hear they went tits up :confused:

Devilbear
09-05-2010, 07:59 AM
If, they fit you and they have 2-3 different lasts to do so, Scarpa makes some fine boots and my pair have outlasted any of the five pairs of Meindls I have had since 1973. I always found that Meindl boots seams split after not much use and I have not bought a new pair for many years.

All mountain-backpacking gear today, is FAR superior to what we had in the '60s and '70s and even into the '90s, EXCEPT boots. It is now very difficult to obtain a GOOD boot and most of them are cheap crap that fall apart like wet newsprint.

I wear hiking boots every day, all day and have owned/used almost every make imported to Canada and made here; most of them are a joke. I do hear good things about " Schnee's Sheephunters" made for them, to their higher specs., by Lowa, but have no personal experience using them...and, they are insulated, which I hate in a boot.

Hoffman's in Idaho, White's in Spokane and Viberg's over in "Fantasyland" all offer options to the prevalent Euro-style mountain boots...and guys were sheep hunting in BC in Paris and Head's boots of this style long before the first imports came here....just a suggestion.

Squamch
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
To ad to the vibergs that devil ear mentioned, not sure what ya mean by fantasy land, but they're great boots from a great company. My father has had a pair for pushing 15 years of daily wear. He wore em for work on the ship, wore em for hunting, and with a quick polish, for weddings. Theyve had the stitching touched up a time or two, and resoled a couple times, always at a reasonable price.
My hunting partner just got a set, first pair had a pinch in em and weren't quite wide enough. Oops, sorry, and they exchanged 'em. If I had $400 to throw at a pair of boots (I don't, my truck cost less than that), I'd be getting a pair like right now.

Devilbear
09-05-2010, 09:00 AM
...fantasyland... = Victoria, the location of BC's greatest "freakshow" aka "The Provincial Legislature".......

stoneslinger
09-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Anyone who claims to own and use large amounts of different gear and guns may know alot or know very little. I really like my tall Hanwags and Diottos in the uninsulated short top model. Meindels were the most comfy for me but certainly not the most durable. Got a 35 year old pair of Alpina boots. Big, heavy steel shank and bombproof in the rock.

Devilbear
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
On the Kenetrek boots, the guy is Jim Wizzum, who was manager of Schnee's some years ago, when I bought my pair of Schnee's. He is a hardcore sheep hunter and I think he knows his boots, I am going to buy a pair of his all-leather summer boots next spring.

I always replace the soles of new boots with Vibram heavy "Bloc" soles from Italy when I buy new boots and my boot repair guy here in Vancity, Robert Sarkasian of "Royal Shoe-Renu" in the City Square Mall, beside Vancity Hall, does a superb job and does it exactly as I prefer it.

This, will prevent the one problem with Kenetreks, that I have seen posted here, which is that the soles they use are too soft for harsh mountain rocky conditions. I have found that good, all-full grain leather, leather lined boots will last about three of these soles and then are pretty much toasted, so, for most hunters, a pair will last several years, at least.

I save my best, old FGL boots for hunting and use cheaper, lighter hikers for daily wear and most day hikes. I also watch for used Galibier and other highend '70s boots on US backpacking forums and recently scored a like new pair of Galibier Peutereys from a guy in Cali. for $75.00 shipped to my door, I doubt he ever wore them out of his house, so, there ARE options.

JDR
09-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I have a 16 year old pair of Meindls "Cabelas special", which are just falling apart now. Put a ton of miles on them and been a good boot except the water proofing was gone after a year and the sides blew out after two years. I had the sides triple stitched and they have lasted me until now. I won't be buying another pair and will instead opt for something like the Hanwag Trapper from Lathrop & Sons http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/102?osCsid=7ea7759574b77ab7770b87580549a635. Kennetrek is a good boot as well, but i've heard (speculation only) that the soles, which aren't Vibram, don't last very long.

dabber
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm on my second pair of Makalu Pro's. Had to get the first pair resoled once and they didn't leak until shortly before I wore out the second sole.

goatdancer
09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I have 2 pairs of Mendls, neither have ever leaked. The first pair is over 20 years old and the second was bought in 2002. I gather these were the 'older' ones. I hope I never have to replace them, after reading all the horror stories here.

ryanb
09-05-2010, 01:27 PM
After being severely disapointed with my first pair of Meindl's, I decided to give another different model a try. I am pleased to say the Lohtse MFS I purchased have been the best boot by a LONG shot I have ever tried. I realize now that I bought the first pair (Canada pros) based on their reputation instead of finding the model that fit my particular foot ideally.

Keep in mind that Meindl have a great number of different models of boots, and they all fit differently. Find the one that fits your foot shape and you should be happy.

Camp Cook
09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm on my second pair of Makalu Pro's. Had to get the first pair resoled once and they didn't leak until shortly before I wore out the second sole.

These are my favorite boots and I am also on my second pair now, had the first pair resoled and they are now my backup pair...

Neither have ever leaked on me...

I totally recommend them...

Springer
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I am the proud owner of a new pair of kenetreks !! I ended up ordering mine through Bartons in Grande Prairie ,but they never got the Extreme Mountain lites so they ended up coming out of Robertsons in Kelowna believe it or not, I was nervous doinga mail order so close to my Goat hunt coming up. Anyway they are so awesome ,I have been wearing them on my evening hikes and they are like wearing slippers. I am so far 100% satisfied.
They do have a soft sole, and on purpose so they have better grip in the rocks. They also came with a card to send them back for resoleing when the time comes.

moose2
09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I am the proud owner of a new pair of kenetreks !! I ended up ordering mine through Bartons in Grande Prairie ,but they never got the Extreme Mountain lites so they ended up coming out of Robertsons in Kelowna believe it or not, I was nervous doinga mail order so close to my Goat hunt coming up. Anyway they are so awesome ,I have been wearing them on my evening hikes and they are like wearing slippers. I am so far 100% satisfied.
They do have a soft sole, and on purpose so they have better grip in the rocks. They also came with a card to send them back for resoleing when the time comes.

Have you tried them in wet brush or creeks just wondering how the waterproffing seemed.

moose2
09-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I have heard of a few mountain hunters switching to rubber boots, has anyone here done this. If so what brand and weight do you use, and what do you think of them.
MIKE

Springer
09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Moose i have not given them the water test yet.they came with kenetrek waterproofing. i will give a report and hopefully story at the end of the first week of October.

BCbillies
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM

I'm onto my third sole on my Makula Pro's . . . I only have good things to say about these boots! :-D

gearjunkierob
09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I also wear hiking boots all day every day at work. I've worn a few different brands and styles: Scarpa, Solomon, Kayland, Kastlinger come to mind. I was a huge fan of the Scarpa boots (and still am) but am a Meindl convert - I got 5 years out of my first pair of Himalayas (2 resoles, and the 2nd sole just came apart). They were a super comfy boot but a "bit" to soft for my taste. I just switched to the Makalu Pro's and they seem to be a nice compromise of comfort and stiffness. I think that Meindl is tough to beat, but depending on what you are looking for and your foot shape there are a few manufacturers out there that make decent boots. One thing I've found with the smooth leather Meindls is that they do need regular attention (wax). I've found that some of the rougher leather holds wax a bit longer and takes a little less maintenance.

I've been intrigued by the new neoprene "muck" boots, but am way too reluctant to purchase - I don't think they would offer anywhere even close to the support that a good hiking boot will give, but might be nice for cold, snowy days on flat trails. The other fear is that they might be noisy to walk when ankles inadvertently rub together.

Long story short - I am not a "one boot does all" guy. If I had to pick only one it would be the Meindl Makalus, but if I am hunting out of a base camp I will often bring multiple pairs of boots so that I can "switch up" based on the conditions and objectives of the day.

BCfishguy
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I am on my second pair of Makalu's since 1994 and they are comfy right out of the box. Not the shank I would choose for serious rock country, but a good combo deer/elk/sheep boot.

Ltbullken
09-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I wear Meindl Army Pro thinking that here is a boot that is intended to be worn everyday under the worst possible conditions. So far, no complaints and they are definitely the most comfortable and best supporting pair of boots I own. I've used them for the BFT a few times and thay are the best boot I've worn for that and I've subsequently got the best times on the BFT since wearing that boot.

My knees are trashed and on my recent mountain trip with the family I brought both my 'light' boots and the Meindls to compare how my knees would respond to either boot. By far, the Meindls were better for my knees and feet. The Army Pro is not an alpine mountaineering boot strictly speaking and, my other (3rd!) pair of boots, the Sportiva's, are far better for more extreme conditions but they are like walking on concrete even with Happyfeet insoles inside! :-?

My 2 bits... FWIW... I think boots are like tools and you need the right boot for the right conditions. I use my Meindls for 'more aggressive-than-normal' conditions, my Sportiva's for mountaineering conditions and the light boots for fair weather hunting... (this means I have a $900 tied up in foot wear!! :shock: Holy crap - don't let the wife read this!). Also, in terms of leaking, and maybe I don't understand this correctly form what folks are saying here, but Goretex/waterproof membranes will only last a few years and if used hard the waterproofing/membrane will breakdown.

Savage Man
09-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I have Hanwags and so far they are great I have friends with kenetreks that love them as well. My friends with scarps are also impressed but most of my buddy's that have meindles are saying that they will change when they buy their next pair of boots.

Deaddog
09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I have used meindl's for about twenty years, makalu's at first and the last six years canada pro's , I get two seasons out of them (I did switch for four years to see if I could get longer out of a pair of boots but no luck) go with what works for you as there are lots of good boots out there

Coming_out_heavy.
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
My Meindl Canada Pro's just sprung a leak in the right boot. This is my third season with them, and up until now I loved them. I have around 200 mountain KMs on them. I only use them for sheep hunting. I am going to try to seal them..... again..... one last time before I buy new boots.

Anyone know how long the lifespan "should" be on a good boot? Am I expecting too much from them?

Ltbullken
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
IMHO...

I think with 'hard' use, 3 years is probably about right for gore membranes to break down and leaks to start. Gore membranes will break down. Can't avoid that. Think about how much weight and pressure wear adn tear is placed on the boot with packs, etc., and rough terrain. I'm not trying to excuse workmanship but boots/gore won't stay waterproof fore ever and people shouldn't expect them too. I had a 'waterproof' jacket wear at the shoulders where to pack straps ride and water began to soak through after about 3 years. The gore just broke down from the weight bearing and constant friction of the pack straps. Same with boots I'd assume. Soles tearing is another matter. But the soft comfy urethane midsoles will separate too with wear and tear. Best to get a boot with no midsole maybe...

moose2
09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I bought my Meindl boots last spring. I have used them for 15 days in the mountains. and about 30 days of antler hunting and smaller hunting trips. Even with meindl boot wax they have leaked from day one with extended walks in wet brush. This August while on a moose hunt my father in law and I walked together in rainy conditions for about 5 hours. It took about an hour to get wet feet , and by the time we returned my heels were soft enough from being wet , that blisters were starting to form. In the mountains this would have been trouble. After looking at the boot later I noticed I had completly worn the heel out the gortex lining on the right boot. My father in law had much cheaper boots they also were wet but no blisters for him at all. The boots fit me well and were comfortable when dry, but were disapointing in wet conditions. I will see if I can get them replaced on warrenty. If not this will be my last pair of Meindl 's. I have gotten alot longer out of much cheaper boots putting them through the same treatment. If any of the mountain hunters have ideas on what they think might be better please let me know. It is not uncommon for me to walk over 30 km a day in some conditions. So my choice of foot wear is important. I am just looking for any ideas.
Thanks Mike