PDA

View Full Version : Bowmadness dry fired

Rob
09-04-2010, 04:17 PM
My buddy who has the same set up as me phoned and told me he dry fired his bow this am. I guess he started to draw and somehow hit his release(he just started to pull back the string) so he hooked his release back on and drew and fired.:icon_frow(arrow came off the first time I guess) He said the string came off the bow and hitting him in the face. I told him to check the limbs for stress marks etc. Will he have to send his limbs in to PSE? Is the bow more than likely hooped? Shitty deal for the start of the season. Rob
p.s think he has his lbs at 50-55

mcrae
09-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I would get a pro shop to look it over but even then I would be leary. Micro fractures and what not.

I shoot the PSE AXE 6 and I just can't imagine it surviving a dry fire in one piece...

Bowzone_Mikey
09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
full draw dry fire .... OHHHHHH!!!! owch ....

Speaking from expiriance and witnessing damage
Best case scenario ... he will need new string and cable set ...

Chances are however: he probally messed up the Cams and axels ... possibly fractured a limb or 2

Worst case ... Them PSEs are Horney .... Both limbs are screwed , Cams bent, and Risor with a hairline fracture thats usually only detectible by the Powder light radiography methods.....Sight would be hooped and quite possibly the rest is messed up. In other words the whole rig just becames a boat anchor ... But that is worst case

Rob
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
He's going to take it to Tim in Chase to have a look at it. He's lucky he didnt get hurt.

Bow Walker
09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Keee-ryst! :shock:

Not a thing to take chances with. :-(

:idea: Depending on what Tim says, you may want to ship the whole thing off to PSE for an evaluation. PSE isn't too far away to ship stuff (Eastern Washington state) so the turn around time should be fairly decent.

Rob
09-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Keee-ryst! :shock:

Not a thing to take chances with. :-(

:idea: Depending on what Tim says, you may want to ship the whole thing off to PSE for an evaluation. PSE isn't too far away to ship stuff (Eastern Washington state) so the turn around time should be fairly decent..

hope they are quick. We are heading to the Kootenays Oct 3 for rifle elk, but we are taking the bows to play with at camp. Rob

hardnocks
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
You just can`t ship it to PSE it has to go to porkupine creek in calgary.

I would check the axles and cam bearings . run some cotton balls over the limbs if i didn`t find any splinters. I would throw on a new string and go shooting . I have seen quit a few dry fires most survived with just a change of strings . Except the 1001 airborne it needed limbs cams pretty much everything but the riser.

Bow Walker
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Most bows these days are design to survive more than one or two dry firings. But, it's the components that'll suffer so get it checked out from top to bottom.