PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Fishin'

Gunner
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
My good friend that I used to charter for in Tofino finally ran offshore for tuna yesterday.It's something he's wanted to do for 20 years and finally the combination of a day off and good offshore weather happened.They ran straight out for 50 miles(3 hours in the dark!) to hit the blue water,and there were birds and albacore everywhere!Lots of fish caught and more lost,he said it was an unbelievable day,he's going to get his fish cold smoked and eventually I'll get to try some.Man am I jealous,it's a trip we've talked about for years and I wasn't there:cry:.I've taken my own boat out 25 miles,but that's nowhere near tuna country,although we did well on springs and halibut.Maybe next year.If anyone is of a mind to do this,don't even think about it without a perfect weather forecast,a suitable boat,and a buddy boat in case something goes wrong.Not the place to have motor problems! Cheers Gunner

Chuck
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Interesting.......kinda like the old man and the sea story eh?
I guess a fourteen foot Lund would be absolutely out of the question then eh? I imagine me snagging into a nuclear sub and getting towed for days before going under in absolute terror and never mind the bad weather..........Lol.

Gunner
09-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Interesting.......kinda like the old man and the sea story eh?
I guess a fourteen foot Lund would be absolutely out of the question then eh? I imagine me snagging into a nuclear sub and getting towed for days before going under in absolute terror and never mind the bad weather..........Lol.25 miles out was far enough for me in good weather in a 23' offshore boat with a 225,radar and bags of electronics!I kept wishing I had twins on the back.We did tow in a 14' Lund one evening,found him just before dark,out of gas 3 miles out from Edward King Island.If I hadn't had the radar on I'd have never known he was there.Gunner

Salty
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Every once in a while they come in a litle closer. My ex neighbour found them a couple times around 20 miles out from winter harbour. Lightly smoked albacore = food for the gods.

IronNoggin
09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Hit them up twice a couple years back. First run found them 36 miles off the beach - tagged 28. Second time ended up 68 miles off the beach with near the same results.

Gunner is absolutely correct! Do NOT attempt this with any but the best of rigs! No fish is worth your life!

But if you do manage to get out and on them, it will take weeks to scrub that stupid GRIN off your face, even with a wire brush! Some of THE most fun you can have with your clothes on! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

island grown
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
some of us in Bamfield have been talking about doing that too,

one buddy has a 29ft Grady with twin 225's and the other buddy has a 29ft trophy with twin 225's, both boats hold about 800lts of fuel.

we figured it would be a good trip. what is the limit for tuna off our coast??

lorneparker1
09-05-2010, 09:51 PM
some of us in Bamfield have been talking about doing that too,

one buddy has a 29ft Grady with twin 225's and the other buddy has a 29ft trophy with twin 225's, both boats hold about 800lts of fuel.

we figured it would be a good trip. what is the limit for tuna off our coast??

There isnt one! have at em!

Gunner
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't have the Salt Water Regs here,but most fin fish,other than salmon,hallies,lings and rockies are limited to 20 IIRC.It would be worth checking with DFO.You guys have the boats to do it if you're inclined to,all the fish my buddy got were on hootchies!Good luck,Gunner

MB_Boy
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I know the "guy" in question.....and just happened to be on the dock as he called me on his way in. Quite the haul of fish......the boys looked a bit tired, but the smiles on their faces showed a different story!!:mrgreen:

Johnnybear
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I have fished with Shawn a couple of times now and he is one fun fella to fish with. After 23 years in Tofino he still gets giddy as a school boy while fishing:-D.

Here is the link with some photos of their great trip KONGING albies:-D!!!

It's what separates the men from the boys (more like the lucky sob's with the commercial guy's contacts and the time to do it):mrgreen:.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16270

Got wasabi???