PDA

View Full Version : length of the lake

bighorn
09-04-2010, 10:21 AM
found a small lake up north that is 1 km long its at 5700 ft elevation.was wondering if a plane could get into this lake or is it to small.no trees to fly over on the way out
thanx dave

09-04-2010, 10:44 AM
There are several factors to consider. The first is the type of aircraft. Is it a Super Cub? A beaver? A 206? The next is your load. The heavier you are the longer you need to get off the water and the shallower your climb. How deep is the lake? What is the elevation change abound the lake? If it is an early season hunt and the weather is hot that altitude will "increase" - it's called density altitude.

bighorn
09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
would like a beaver or a 185 or a cub,doesnt really matter its in august and you dont have to climb out of a hole.and if to much weight make 2 trips

d6dan
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
bighorn, your on the north Island. Call the floatplane charters in Port Hardy or Port McNeil. Or even call the floatplane base in Campbell River..Those boys would be more than happy to help you with that info..

09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
A Super Cub should be fine - but as mentioned the pilot would be the one to make the call.

Maxx
09-04-2010, 02:41 PM
found a small lake up north that is 1 km long its at 5700 ft elevation.was wondering if a plane could get into this lake or is it to small.no trees to fly over on the way out
thanx dave

That is a short lake for that elevation for sure. No way a 185 will make that, a super cub would be an option MAYBE, but I doubt it.

bighorn
09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
i found a place that charters a super cub up north.i emailed them to find out the specs.we'll see, goona be tight,might have to go with wheels,

Stone Sheep Steve
09-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Best thing to do is call someone with a worthy plane in the area. Lots of details for a pilot to make a decision.

Approach/take off direction is very important.

SSS

GoatGuy
09-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Probably be the scene of the crash in a 185. Depends on terrain and prevailing wind - that's pretty skinny water. there are a few lakes up n that fit that description that a person can get in and out of if the winds right. Some of them you have to ferry and can only carry 1 pass or a couple hundred pounds of gear out per trip with a performing machine.

If you have gps coordinates or a name for the lake that would help. The guys who fly around there will have a name for the lake and will know if it's doable.

There's no 'secret' lakes up north.:-D

sniper ren
09-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Sounds a bit small for a 185/Beaver specially with the elevation being a major factor. Super Cub could probably do it. A good strong wind would help a lot to pull a bigger load off. Is there a big lake near by? You could always make a few shuttle's with gear/pax to the big lake then take a full load from there. As stated above the local bush pilots probably already have the lake figured! Specially if there is good hunting near by!

Good luck.

PS. If it were me I think I would look into a bigger lake! There are enough float plane accidents every year its not worth pushing it!

BCrams
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I know what lake you're talking about.

Unless you buy your own cub / husky on floats and start getting stupid, no one else is going to fly you into that lake for the reason that it is unsafe at that altitude and its only one way in and one way out. Add the winds and having to start banking right to avoid the mountain slope .... you get the idea

bcyukonair
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
looks like BCrams has more brains than the rest of you.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-07-2010, 03:05 AM
There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there arent any old bold pilots.

I asked about a small lake landing once and thats what I was told.

hntcrazy
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I was told you can land anywhere once .I have yet to try this personally .I dont want too . And dont think others should try either..........

boxhitch
10-16-2010, 08:15 PM
i found a place that charters a super cub up north.i emailed them to find out the specs.we'll see, goona be tight,might have to go with wheels,Too tight for floats, wheels ain't going to help :)
any luck chartering a Cub ?

bighorn
10-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Too tight for floats, wheels ain't going to help :)
any luck chartering a Cub ?
you cant charter a cub anywhere i could find.the lake is way to small to land on with a 185 or beaver

BCrams
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
you cant charter a cub anywhere i could find.the lake is way to small to land on with a 185 or beaver

You're not going to land there with a cub or husky either....even if there was one available for charter or you owned one.

Use hay burners to get there and if you're really in shape, just hike.

oldschoolguy
10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
use a helicopter

r106
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
use a helicopter

It's illegal to transport hunters and hunting equipment using a helicopter. It's in the regs