PDA

View Full Version : Pink mountain and north

bdennis
09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
We are heading up to Pink mountain or Fort Nelson. Would it be worth while going fort Nelson or somewhere in between there and pink mountain? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MOOSE MILK
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Hunted Boogie Creek a few years back with good sucess, elk and moose in the area and lots of bears.

steelhead
09-04-2010, 11:37 PM

VicP
09-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Heading up that way in a couple of weeks as well. I hear that if the weather turns and it starts raining the forestry roads can turn into real gumbo. From what I have heard its not a really hard place to hunt but you need to put in the time and get out on foot and do some walking. Lots of bears. Any tips on the area would always be grateful.

First Up
09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I remember my first time up there many years back, and I did not have a clue where to go. I ended up camping about 1km before pink mountain ( check current regulations). I traveled long distances with the trike and walked everywhere and traveled longer distances and walked more. I did get a small bull ( regulations were different then ). I suggest to try to go where others may not have been. That is as simple as walking off the main ATV trail looking for low swampy areas. If it rains get out somewhere near a good road. Take chains.:-D

takla1
09-05-2010, 09:19 AM
any of the cutlines north of sikinii chief heading west off the alaska hyw will take you into excellent hunting country. youd need atvs of course,but just getting back 5 t0 10 miles is all thats needed.most cutlines are trailed up and youll find old camp areas along them,hang poles ect...good luck

Ferenc
09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
My buddy got one young bull moose in....101 ...close to pink mt. hunted the licks during the Aug season....I was not there but he gave me a roast ...very tasty... and oh ya and a heads up, did get checked out by two rcmp constables in a surburban...

steelhead
09-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Island Idiots
09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Check out the Trutch area north of Pink Mtn. :-D

VicP
09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Any where between P/Mountain & F/Nelson is good area. All depends on what you are going for, moose or elk?

steelhead
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM

takla1
09-06-2010, 08:35 AM
trutch is good also,theres an access road into the prophet there and a trail head in towards the muskwa,horses needed oviously.Dont try to do too much off roading with the pick-up,the gumbow in there is unforgiving,once came across a pick-up stuck good to the axles on a cut line ..broken winch cable...he didnt get out for 5 days,two more trucks got stuck trying to free him finally they had to pay to get a cat in!My dad has shot moose at truch so i know it can produce...watch for the antler restiction you might see 5 bulls before you can find one legal to shoot!

bdennis
09-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all your help!! We now have pretty good idea of where to begin I heard its been raining up there so that should make things interesting. some cold weather would be nice. if any one has anything to add that would be great to.
Good luck to everyone

luckynuts
09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all your help!! We now have pretty good idea of where to begin I heard its been raining up there so that should make things interesting. some cold weather would be nice. if any one has anything to add that would be great to.
Good luck to everyone

That would be an understatement! Though we are supposed to be getting a break in the weather today and then it's to start up again Friday night:rolleyes: Gumboots and chains for your tires is what I recommend. toss in a 40# of whiskey wouldn't hurt none either.

W.

chinooker
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
whatever you do don't take the pickup off the good all season roads or you will hate yourself.:-D

VicP
09-08-2010, 09:11 PM
whatever you do don't take the pickup off the good all season roads or you will hate yourself.:-D

I second the motion, gumbo sucks......:confused:

meat hunter
09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
If you get caught in the rain on a gumbo road put it in 4x4 and drive about 60 km , it's funny, but you have better control with some speed. Get off the gumbo asap after that. Good hunting!

09-09-2010, 09:14 PM
on Tube Steak Bogie Creek ! around Prophet River Campground. Bang Flop!

CT

Buckster
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Redfern lake trail is good