PDA

View Full Version : How long can you hang meat in the bush

shoot2kill
09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
How long would you let your meat hang in the bush before heading home or bringing it to a cold storage facility?
Taking into account the air temp?
How about bringing a deep freeze and a genny and freeze it right away?
Were heading up past cranbrook on the 8th of sept going for the elk of my dreams that I saw 2 days after closing last year:( white tails, and maybe mulies.
Anyone have cold storage space up there? I'd be happy to pay a reasonable storage fee.
Thanks S2K

Mooseter
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
If you get freezing at night and NO rain several days has worked for me.

Moisture is deadly so keep dry with tarps.

Lots of guys use a freezer but avoid freezing the meat solid.

Run it only enough to keep meat nice and cold.

Caveman
09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I've had it hanging up to seven days in camp. The weather conditions will dictate it for you. This year I have my Cargo Trailer turned into a rolling meat locker with a Coolbot setup. Hoping to put it to the test in a week.

09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I've had it hanging up to seven days in camp. The weather conditions will dictate it for you. This year I have my Cargo Trailer turned into a rolling meat locker with a Coolbot setup. Hoping to put it to the test in a week.

Caveman,

I'm thinking of doing the same for next year, which air conditioner and genorator are you using and how big is your trailer?

Springer
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes Greg tell us more about your Cooler. I would like to construct a cooler on wheels myself...The last couple Novembers have been quite Warm and i would hate to cut the hunt short due to just one critter hanging.

moose2
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes Greg tell us more about your Cooler. I would like to construct a cooler on wheels myself...The last couple Novembers have been quite Warm and i would hate to cut the hunt short due to just one critter hanging.

I know a couple guys that have coolers on skids that are sized to fit their utility trailers. They just drag them on when needed. Or they can be used in the yard as is , without tying up your utility trailer. All the info you need will be here they even give ideas on building coolers and what size air cond is needed for what size cooler. Hope this helps http://www.storeitcold.com/
Mike

kennyj
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
If you de-bone your animal right away and get the meat up off the ground on a rack made of branches so the air can circulate around it the meat will cool over night.
In the morning when it starts to warm up put the meat in a cooler.
Repeat the process every night.
As long as it gets down to 40F or less at night you can keep meat for a long time this way.
If you have to much meat for your cooler you can dig a hole or hollow in the ground, lay a tarp down, pile the cool meat on the tarp,wrap the tarp around the meat, cover with another tarp keeping the meat in as tight of a pile as possible.Make sure the edges of the tarp are well tucked under to keep the flys out. Insulate from the heat with sleeping bags and the meat will stay cool all day.Back on the meat rack every night. Lots of work but works great.
kenny