PDA

View Full Version : Bear Calln'

dana
09-03-2010, 05:42 PM
This morning the kids and I went out looking for a youth season buck for my daughter but had some good fall bear action instead. The Bear Buster call worked pretty dam good. Had this guy come right in, but just couldn't clear the brush for my daughter to get a clear shot. The wind then switched and the bear busted out of there. My son was on the video camera and caught the action. Here is some of the video.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/th_BearCallnupload.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/?action=view&current=BearCallnupload.mp4)

Archer
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Sweet vid, too bad about the wind though. Always cool seeing the predator side of blackies. Thanks!

JDR
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
With the number of bears your kids have shot, I wouldn't come out of the bush either :mrgreen:. Good luck the rest of the youth season!

buckguy
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Great video. Almost had him. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Gateholio
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Is that a new type of call or is it ust a predator call?

I took a predator call to the north and we were going to try it on grizzlies, but it fell out of my pocket somewhere on the trail...:icon_frow

09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
That was a great video - and a great choice in firearm too (especially with the open sights)! What cartridge is it chambered for?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Man, you're starting her off with quite the adrenalizing hunt!!:cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing your daughter fill all of your tags, Steve! Can't wait to be there myself in a couple yrs.:)
I may just have to dust off my Dad's 300 Savage when the time arises!

SSS

BCLongshot
09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
That's cool. I love how you take the kids out !

We're always trying to convince parents to take their kids out and they're just to damn lazy.

Thanks once again for the great thread.

kennyj
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Thats exciting having a bear come in to a call.Great vid.
kenny

frenchbar
09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Good stuff Steve ...hope jesse can take her first muley soon ..looking forward to the pics.

dana
09-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Is that a new type of call or is it ust a predator call?

I took a predator call to the north and we were going to try it on grizzlies, but it fell out of my pocket somewhere on the trail...:icon_frow

Gate,
New to me. Picked it up a WSS near the end of the spring bear season. It is a Primos predator call. I had good success with it on a monster boar with my son in June. Easily a 6'8" plus boar. Same thing though, my son just couldn't get a clear shot due to brush. That boar would turn to run and then I'd blow and he'd turn around and come right back. He also stood up on his hind legs sniffing the air just like this one. From my experience, it seems the older mature bears are more likely to come into a predator call. I tried a wounded rabbit call on numerous bears this spring and only had success from the mature bears. The younger bears are curious but just not bold enough or experienced enough to come in.

Her rifle is a 300 Sav. Her brother also shoots one as well.

Gateholio
09-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Okay, I'll pick one of them up next time I am around a good gun store, thanks.

Calling in bears sure seems like fun.:-D

mcrae
09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I use the Primos Coyote and Bear buster call it works well. The primos deer bleat and bawl works really well too in the spring. I do a soft bleat to sound like a fawn and they really like that. Gotta have your head on swivel sometimes though they get sneaky sometimes

Camp Cook
09-05-2010, 02:40 PM
anyone use an electric caller for bears?

killman
09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
:-D
anyone use an electric caller for bears?

Not permitted!

waistdeep
09-05-2010, 03:37 PM
try a blade of grass ...:) great call