PDA

View Full Version : Who are out there bowhunting right now?

rollingrock
09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Just wondering how many comrades I have in the same mountain/bush. :mrgreen:
I'm hunting 'very' close to home. If you stalk by me, I won't say hi to you just to save us some grief. Feel free do the same thing to me too!:wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/S7301041-1.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
09-03-2010, 04:55 PM
season around here started the other day ...been out all three days so far but havent been real serious yet .... Best chance I had so far was yesterday while showing a fellow HBCer some terrian that he has his Moose draw in ..... Bow/Truck hunting typically isnt all that great ... I had 3 chances at a 3 point Mulie in full velvet ...1st chance he was protected by a doe at 25 yards .... second chance he was at 25 yards again but quarterd very hard away would have been an extremly low percentage shot... the 3rd time he was perfectly broadside at 42 yards up hill ...Its not the distance that bothered me ...I am confident out to 60 + ...it was the Snag and stick from the slash pile he was in that was sticking up and thus not giving a clear shot at his heart .... I probally couldve shot at the top of his lungs ...but would rather aim at his heart ....typically makes for shorter blood trails when the heart aint working ;)

and was slow as heck getting out of truck .... as my release wasnt where it should have been ...

Bow Walker
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Not had any luck yet but the season is young...

Good luck with that recurve!

thetackdriver
09-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Been out once so far but no luck. havent even heard any elk bugling yet. oh well this weekend should be different

bigshooter
09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I was out tonight nothing so far.
Still a little warm and I have no cooler for the meat.
I will try a little harder when the weather changes.

rollingrock
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Just got back in from one of my spots. Meadow up in the mountain. I found fresh deer scats, bedding, trails...all over the place. But just beside the mountain there were two golf courses, and yahoos were riding dirt bikes up and down on the pavement. I went in two hours before dark and lied down in the grass. Covered myself with doe scent, and the wind was in my favor. Could hear some sort of movement in the woods, but nothing came forward till dark. I think the buggers are all nocturnal right now.

Same with my another spot. Fresh tracks in the mud all over the place, but they don't show up.

Slugman
09-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Hunted from opening day till sunday last week and been oout several evenings this week as well. True dat about the bucks being nocturnal, very short window to get one in your sights. Just got back from evening hunt tonight and saw the maker of the huge pile of poo from last time in the area. Had just switched up trees and literally had just tied in and a big black bear came poking around at aboput 35yards!
What really chaps my butt is on the way home in the truck I approach what I think is a road block but its actually a deer fatality, some lady smoked it near town with her VW beetle!

Big Lew
09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Just got back from 3 days.... to pick up my wife and head out again. Saw 8 bucks, 1-4x5 pt, 2-4 pts, 2-3-pts, 3-forked spikes, and 24 does, including fawns. We have quite a bit of meat in the freezer still, so, although the spikes presented themselves for good shots, all on the first day, I elected to hold out for something older. I was able to get within my comfort zone on one 4 pt. and one 3 pt. but like the first 3 days last year, the deer just wouldn't co-operate and turn sideways. Last year, after picking up my wife, everything worked out very well, and the first big buck we saw co-operated, and that was that....hope the same happens this year. I saw the 4x5 about 700-800 yds away standing like a statue with it's head hiding behind a dead tree. He was aware of my truck which was two benches above him, and didn't move at all for 20 minutes. At first I thought someone had set up a decoy, but he was far from any access, so I tryed a stalk. Although he couldn't see or hear me, I didn't have much of a chance. It took me an 1/2 hr. to get half way, and he had just melted away. ( I quess that's how he got so old) During the 3 days, I didn't see any other hunters, only one rancher hazing some cows down the mountian with a quad. (seems no one uses horses anymore) This particular area is very challenging....I normally see quite a few before I'm presented with a good shot.

hoyt
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Sitting in"base camp" righ now in the EK, the Elk are going off for us here, just have not seen the big bulls.... yet!!
Got lots of time... Tomorrow we will ride a little farther out, check another possible area I have found them.
Weather is warm but they are a bugling!!
Should turn out good soon.

Sideofabarn
09-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I went out for my second hunt this evening. Very little in the way of large game tracks, but it looks like the season was good for grouse and bunnies. Managed to arrow a nice sized bunny for the pot, and gave another one a haircut...

Flingin' Sticks
09-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Me, the Girlfriend, and the Recurve are going for a little walk tomorrow night. Not super serious about it yet, but I'm sure that will change when I start seeing things.

springpin
09-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Right now...no, I'm on the computer...But was out today, got 1 grouse @ 20yrds(that was lunch), seen a Blackie sow and cub @ 43yrds. Yesterday Made a stalk on a BIG blackie starting @ 86yrds got in to 35yrds on a STEEP angle, shot low and missed (arrow recovered). But he will be back, and so will I, there is a ton of berries where he was. Seen some fresh Elk tracks near my blind, just waiting to see the elk on my trail cam, not just WTD and fawns. All and all, a great weekend out.

Springpin

uraarchr
09-04-2010, 08:53 PM
leavin to the koots in the morning.2 of us,third guy comes out for firearms opener.hope we get something with the bows ..bringin the flyrods though.and some huge thick steaks,potatoes onions and lots of garlic bacon and beansannnd coffee:get some elk to add to the menu that'll be bonus.wish luck to all who're headin out.mmm elk liver and bacon or el heart stew.baackstraps on the barbie!!!

Evolution
09-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Damn I forgot Grouse opened, I saw a few the other night while I was bear hunting. They are expensive to be throwing broadheads at though. I learned that last year.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/grouse1.jpg

Good luck to all the rest of you. Hope you all have a safe and productive season.

charbrc
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Waiting for my new bow to come. Could have ordered it sooner. Planning on a week in the Christian Valley. Look for a camper with two dogs and a wife.

Bow Walker
09-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Cute "little one" you got there Evo. Might be a future hunting partner?

Don't you carry a judo or two in your quiver for small game? If your quiver is small you might want to consider just carrying the judo heads and switching out tips on the arrows when it's time.

Caribou_lou
09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I was out the other night and almost had a shot at a small bull moose, and we all know that almost gets you Nuttin! But I did come home with four grouse. Lots of them out this season.

StoneChaser
09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I've been out a little this year.

First season with archery tackle, armed with my 2010 Bowtech Admiral, Beeman ICS hunters and 100gr Slick Tricks.......moose and deer beware!

First time in 15 years that I've been so fired up for a moose hunt....

killman
09-19-2010, 10:12 AM
As soon as the kids Hockey is over today, I am heading out. Although I may drag allong the .260 just for back up. guess I am not true bowhunter yet.

cainer
09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
took my first ever Grouse a couple days ago-judo'd em! Must say-it's quite satisfying hunting with the bow.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr331/cainer1/Hunt09066.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
09-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I have let a couple Immys walk in not in my draw area zones ..... no real deer other than beggining of month and fall bear has been fairly weak .....lots o chikkens tho

bwhnter
09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
My hunting partner got a nice 6x6 at 16 yards on the 14th. It was the third bull we called into the same spot.

bigshooter
09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm going to stay with stick and string untill the snow flies.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Hopefully tomarrow I will go Poke a bear thats been poking his nose into my friends Yard ..He hit it with a shoe last night apparently (not a hunter)

killman
09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Hopefully tomarrow I will go Poke a bear thats been poking his nose into my friends Yard ..He hit it with a shoe last night apparently (not a hunter)

Seems to be lots around. I haven't seen mine for a while but he did attack my target the other night. Suppose to be a large one around Dagg too.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Seems to be lots around. I haven't seen mine for a while but he did attack my target the other night. Suppose to be a large one around Dagg too.

Thats the one I have been asked to try to Poke

thetackdriver
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Thats the one I have been asked to try to Poke

I hope its an arrow your going to try and poke it with:wink: