PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lake, Carpenter Lake

coyotejoe
09-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Ladies, and gentlemen I am enquiring as to any information, any thing at all, that anyone can tell me about that whole neighborhood of 3-33 3-32.

I am hoping to get up there for October Long. I would like to tow my trailor up to Gun lake and park it, make base camp if you will.

Problems::confused:
(lol:mrgreen:) I dont do well at backing up the trailer, so does Gun Lake offer easy pull-in sites, maybe drive through sites( dreaming I am sure), and any side road sites that I can just sort of pull off and out of the way of most of the traffic. I noticed the Back Roads map show a road around the lake, but thats all I could get.
Also, I have never been into any area up that way, I am looking forward to wandering into the bush and (hopefully :-D) finding my way out. I like the looks of the terrain too. But most of all I like that is only 3 ~4 hours from Surrey.
I dont expect anyone to tell me about their experiences of great success - I guess that would be your 'Secret Spot' ...(in reference to last months posting) but if you could tell me anything I would so greatly appreciate it.

bandit
09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Mowson pond campsite has better space than gun lake campsite which is pretty tight. Much better fishing at mowson IMO if that interests you.

Dont forget the Hurley Road doesnt get maintainted after end Oct - and theres no guarantee it wont become impassoble from snow before then anyway. Its a long drive round through Lillooet.

ve7iuq
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Ladies, and gentlemen I am enquiring as to any information, any thing at all, that anyone can tell me about that whole neighborhood of 3-33 3-32.

I am hoping to get up there for October Long. I would like to tow my trailor up to Gun lake and park it, make base camp if you will.

Problems::confused:
(lol:mrgreen:) I dont do well at backing up the trailer, so does Gun Lake offer easy pull-in sites, maybe drive through sites( dreaming I am sure), and any side road sites that I can just sort of pull off and out of the way of most of the traffic. I noticed the Back Roads map show a road around the lake, but thats all I could get.
Also, I have never been into any area up that way, I am looking forward to wandering into the bush and (hopefully :-D) finding my way out. I like the looks of the terrain too. But most of all I like that is only 3 ~4 hours from Surrey.
I dont expect anyone to tell me about their experiences of great success - I guess that would be your 'Secret Spot' ...(in reference to last months posting) but if you could tell me anything I would so greatly appreciate it.

Well, 3 to 4 hours may get you close to Lillooet, then the miles get much longer. The roads in that country are narrow, twisting, dusty and in general, slow going. It is a slow road, and seemingly very long, along Carpenter Lake. I would be tempted to first camp at the wide open camp site on the west end of Carpenter Lake, and do some scouting with your truck. I've never been up the Marshall Creek road, but may be some good areas.
Upper Taughton Creek is (was) good mule deer area, but a fair distance.

frenchbar
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I would camp at Mowsons pond or Gun crk campsite ....trout fishing at mowsons can be ok and some big dollys can be had at the mouth of gun crk when your not hunting.

ChrisL
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Mowson pond definitely has some nice camp sites. The one at Gun Lake is ok but maybe not quite as trailer friendly. Kingdom Lake is a good place to check out too. Also Plateau Ponds I think has a few spots (near the end of Gun Lake.)

3-4 hours will be tough! I'm in the Delta area and it takes me 4.5 via the Hurley and another hour via the Fraser canyon and Lillooet. That's without a trailer which definitely slows you down on the Hurley :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Chris.

Casagrande
09-03-2010, 05:02 PM
The Hurley climb out of Pemberton is an utter shit show. Worst I've seen in 15 years. ( And I'm not trying to keep one less lower mainlander out of here ):mrgreen:

Ruger4
09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I would listen to Frenchbar , its his back yard :mrgreen:

swampthing
09-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Look for the alpine and go. 3-32 is one of my favorite units in BC. Done many a sept 1 up there. Met some good people in that country. I usually go a bit deeper into the woods, I mean out of the woods. Have fun.

sparkes3
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
if you have difficulty backing up dont go to kingdom lake.why not take your trailer out to a dirt road/gravel pitt and practice backing up.

dhog
09-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I have camped at Mowsons pond its nice There is a free Hdro site on the road by the ex-town of Minto it is quite nice but it right by the road Marshall lake camp is large and easy to get into There was a big fire through that whole area last year. When we hunted up there mid oct there wasn't any fresh sign of any game except wolf. Check the current wildfires and see what is burning around the area you might be better off heading elsewhere anyways good luck

coyotejoe
09-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow - thanks ALL OF YOU. I never expected that response turn out. I am so very blessed with all of your advise. Thanks.

I hope to go for a day drive up that way in the next few weeks, to check out the terrain. I was hoping // thinking that with all the wild fires on the other two sides of that particular mountain range this summer it would have chased the game into that nieghborhood/mountain range. I am familiar with the Adams lake area (north / on top of Chase) a bit better, and Likely BC area too. I have been going up that way for a few years, but thought I would spread my wings a bit this year.

Thanks everyone!

alpinetreker
09-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Ive camped around mud lakes but wouldnt recommend dragging a camper anywhere near there some areas are tough with a 4x4.Good luck with the hunt.

sakohunter
09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey CoyoteJoe,

I just got back from a scouting trip up there and it is a long drive in to Gold Bridge. I would guess about 6 to 7 hours from the Surrey area. Depending on how long your trailer is the Gun creek campsite has some nice spots. My family and I stayed at Tyax resort, and it has power and water hook-up for a cost. Make sure your spare tires on your truck and trailer are ready, I blew a trailer tire on the road in to Gold Bridge from shale on the road. I will be back up there in Oct as well for my LEH draw. Good luck

RoscoeP
09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I used to hunt on Misson mountain 3-33. Take the road from Carpenter lake over the ridge towards Seaton lake. Right at the summit there is a road going up Mission mountain. We have had not bad success there but that was in the late 80's. The road up Mission should be maintained as there is some kind of tower near the summit. There is a power line that runs accross it also which is where we have had some luck. Cheers

camelsfoot
09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
It would depend how big the trailer is and what your pulling it with.Myself I would drive up to Lillooet, then take highway 40 up to the marshal Lk. There should be plenty of room at the camp site at the far end of the lake. From there you will be able to hunt a large area, the mud, relay,paradise,and it's a short drive over to tyax and the ponds, via a road of the mud main. And yes ask frenshbar, he's on highway 40 all the time and knows alot about that area.

rollingrock
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I have camped at Mowsons pond its nice There is a free Hdro site on the road by the ex-town of Minto it is quite nice but it right by the road Marshall lake camp is large and easy to get into There was a big fire through that whole area last year. When we hunted up there mid oct there wasn't any fresh sign of any game except wolf. Check the current wildfires and see what is burning around the area you might be better off heading elsewhere anyways good luck

No kidding! And it was the most miserable October I've ever seen in that area. Cold, wet, frost and a little snow. But nothing moved. Everyone I bumped into complained, and nothing was taken by anyone. I got on a skid trail on the last day and sat for the evening in rain. A buck busted in thick timber downwind, and a bear was busted by me upwind. One shot thru the shoulder, down he went. He wasn't able to make the death complaint. :mrgreen: That was the only thing harvested by someone in the area when I left.