PDA

View Full Version : first day grouse

spreerider
09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
went up the mountain yesterday with the family and dog.
we turend off the highway onto mt arrowsmith connector and about 5 min down the road we see two grouse, jump out and pop them both with the kids savage youth cub, then grab the 12 ga and get the wife to get ready to let the dog go and one more comes running out of the slash and onto the road, so i swich up to the 22 again and pop him.

then i let the dog go and he flushed one more out but i had no shot on it,
called dog off and went into the bush where the bird went in and sent him again, this time it flew low to the ground and downhill and again the dog was in the way.
3 grouse 15 mins into the trip is a good way to start the season, too bad we had to turn around right away when the phone rang :( but it was already getting late for the kids.

09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Good start though!

Murder
09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Right on buddy! good times

spreerider
09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
probably going out tomorrow morning with a buddy and dogs, then maybe take the kids up to peak lake for a quick fish and walk around.
in the spring i was up there fishign just after the snow cleared and we came across a bunch of big blues i wouldent mind taking.
I also want to get into the area behind the lake as i saw a huge bear there last year out of season and a few deer as well.

shadowhunter
09-05-2010, 07:32 PM
good job nothing beets flushing grouse

switchback
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I went out Saturday morning in region 1-4 for 3 hours. I drove around looking for a desent spot for grouse (lots of berries). The spur I was on finnally ended and it looked pretty good grouse habitat so I let my dogs out. They were excited being the fist of the season an bolted into a alder clump as soon as they got out of the back of the truck. I saw the dogs lock up on pont while I was loading my gun and thought this odd. The first grouse took flight. I swung onto it and click the gun did not fire. As I was checking why the gun did not fire a second grouse flew out. It turns out I did not close the magazine fully so the gun did not fire. The dogs were very exiceted from all the fresh sent and flying birds and my young pup broke point and lunged into the brush. I was concentrating on loading the gun again when My young pup suddenly ran up to me with a blue grouse in his mouth.
It is the only grouse I got, he got ( I ate ) this year so far.