PDA

View Full Version : Antlers for milk bones

spear
09-02-2010, 05:22 PM
For whatever reason my heeler has started going crazy for chewing antlers. He has a few sheds and a set from last years buck that he chews, but now he will sit and stare at the set on the mantel and whine.

Anyone else's dog this neurotic?

TPB
09-02-2010, 05:30 PM
What can i say hes excited for hunting season...

mark
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
My dog chews sheds that he finds, or ones I give him!
I have a whack of nice sheds on my family room, and the dog wont even touch them!

BlacktailStalker
09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Funny this popped up.
Earlier today I was wishing I had a before and after pic of my 6x6 elk rack I shot a couple years ago... left it in the back yard and my hounds had eaten it right down to the pedestals on both sides, took them about 6 months with no regularity of chewing it.

sawmill
09-03-2010, 04:46 AM
For whatever reason my heeler has started going crazy for chewing antlers. He has a few sheds and a set from last years buck that he chews, but now he will sit and stare at the set on the mantel and whine.

Anyone else's dog this neurotic?
He`s a Heeler man,they are all neurotic!We used to have them when we had a ranch,great dogs but they need some cows to work.
My dog is a heeler x sheperd who is obsessed by his squeeky toy,if it goes under the couch he will sit for hours,just staring at where it rolled under.Very focused guy.

mntbowhunter
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I have a border collie and I started giving him sheds to chew as bones right off the bat as a puppy hoping it would help him find some for me when shed hunting. Now I take him shed hunting and he does find a few so it did work. But as you said he thinks that antlers are his bones now. Often I see him staring at my antlers in the basement and I think if he could reach them he may think they belong to him.

Take your heeler shed hunting maybe he will find you some too?

blackwater moose
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
antlers are composed of protein,calcium,phosphorus and other minerals. rodents will gnaw on antlers to get the minerals locked in the sheds. maybe your dog(s) are low on some dietary need.

rifleman
09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
thats perfect. you should train him to find sheds in the bush.

Lone Ranger
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Sure beats him chewing on furniture or shoes!! LR

rocksteady
09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
My German Rottie, who weighed about 165 lbs at his prime, used to wander around the back yard with a 6 point elk shed, prancing along, proud as punch, til he settled down and got to work on it..... He chewed it in half in less than an hour... OUCH !!!! Don't want to mess with him...

I have had other dogs who also love antlers, my boxer snuck into the garage with me one day and helped herself to a shed whitetail shed that i had on the floor.....

Antlers are good for dogs, tonnes of chewing without the side effects of the marrow, like you get from big bones (aka Dog Farts and possible diahrea)....

Plus it also helps keep bad guys away from teh lpace when they see a big antler chewed up with BIG TEETH MARKS.....

My latest Rottie is not OCD for antlers but sure is for her squeeky toys...