PDA

View Full Version : need tips for finding a black bear

Crys Shorty
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I bought my frist tag this fall for a black bear. Only problem is I don`t know where to begin looking. LIttle basterds always seem to be on the side of the highway when you cant shoot them. I`m a pro at finding bucks, treeline edge of clearcuts ect. But bear seems to be a whole new ballgame. Seems there`s different hunting styles - driving backroads till you happen to see something, or hiking on foot looking for signs and calling. Never tried treestands or blinds since I don`t know the ideal area to find bear. Should I just set up camp by a berry bush and cross my fingers? Any advice would be helpful.

25tikka
09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
In the fall I have the best success by hunting higher elevation cuts with huckleberries or Blueberries. Easy to tell if they are in the are as there is lots of purple poop.
Good Luck

gutpile
09-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Hard to believe you can't find a black bear ! bears are everware, just drive logging roads and you will see them, or look in clear cuts that are 3-5 years old and you will spot them just put a little effort in good luck.

Tenacious Billy
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I bought my frist tag this fall for a black bear. Only problem is I don`t know where to begin looking. LIttle basterds always seem to be on the side of the highway when you cant shoot them. I`m a pro at finding bucks, treeline edge of clearcuts ect. But bear seems to be a whole new ballgame. Seems there`s different hunting styles - driving backroads till you happen to see something, or hiking on foot looking for signs and calling. Never tried treestands or blinds since I don`t know the ideal area to find bear. Should I just set up camp by a berry bush and cross my fingers? Any advice would be helpful.

You live in PG? Just go North, South, East or West of town and turn off on a logging road. Then drive around till you see Yogi sitting in a cut-block. Then, after you ID him to make sure he's legal, jump out of your truck and shoot him. Like OHB said, they're everywhere. Road hunting for bears is, IMO, your best bet.

mxracer328
09-02-2010, 04:24 PM
lots of bears around here, like said before 3 - 5 year old cuts, with some berries in them and your set, i always seem to stumble upon them while moose hunting.

BearSniper
09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Good advice here

I've seen lots of Blackies east of P.G. and west of McBride on any trip we made there.

Check for green grassy areas, or anything with berries. In cooler temps, check the south facing slopes. Use your binoculars and you may seem them feeding. Remember they need 15,000 to 20,000 calories a day in the fall for the big sleep, so they're out munching.

Evening seems to be more productive than first thing in the a.m. A guy here on the site, I think it's Justin Ott ? , has a good Bear video series. Really worth watching.

All my Bears were taken in the last hours of the day. Good luck

ryanb
09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Drive around on a FSR until you see one and shoot it seems to be the most productive method for BBear hunting.

BearSniper
09-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Here it is;

http://www.black-bear-hunting.com/

This fella knows his stuff. I learned alot from him. good luck:wink:

Crys Shorty
09-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Okay we'll give that I try, technically I'm not allowed to hunt so I usually play the role of scout. I've been training our dogs to help. The redbone coonhound should be good for treeing, but I figure if the bear isnt scared and stands it's ground, her partner is a karelian bear dog, he's absolutly fearless. If we're just driving around in the truck, or quadding, do we just haul the dogs along and hope they smell or see something, then let em go? First season with the dogs too :)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Go look for sheep in the southern portion of the province...and you'll find bears...lots of bears.

SSS

Tenacious Billy
09-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Okay we'll give that I try, technically I'm not allowed to hunt so I usually play the role of scout. I've been training our dogs to help. The redbone coonhound should be good for treeing, but I figure if the bear isnt scared and stands it's ground, her partner is a karelian bear dog, he's absolutly fearless. If we're just driving around in the truck, or quadding, do we just haul the dogs along and hope they smell or see something, then let em go? First season with the dogs too :)

Whoa, whoa.....your first post says you just bought your first bear tag - now you're saying you can't "technically" hunt. WTF? I smell poop.

BearSniper
09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Wow, dogs would be a great asset.

Gosh, ever use them for Cougar ? Get your hunting licence and you're in business. You'll be hanging furs on the wall in no time

Crys Shorty
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
haha, no poop to smell, mr bear sniper is correct, no license. Trying to get through the books but I suck ass at duck types. My hubby buys the license, (though I swear I'm a better shot). I would love a cougar fur, but they're like kemode bears, giant ghost kitties that you never see, they just stalk you for miles then jump on your neck from behind. (scared of them). I'd love a bloodhound out in the bush too but nobody has any! It'd be awesome to have a group of dogs with a variety of talents.

jackychiles
09-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Nazko river area has tons of bears

MuleyMadness
09-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Lots of good info here, and something in response to your question in regards to the dogs....if you haven't trained with them to hunt bears, and you don't have GPS collars or at least radio collars, don't let them loose on a bear. They can run for damn near forever, and you will very likely end up with lost dogs in short order.

If you want to learn to use your dogs for hunting, speak with someone who already does, and learn from them, and train, train, train. Just letting them go isn't going to do you much good.