PDA

View Full Version : 11 year old takin core.

3kills
09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
hey all i was thinkin bout puttin my 11 year old daughter into the core some time this year. what is any tips and advice u may have for a chil takin the core. i understand it will be hard for her to do but she really wants to hunt. i know she could hunt off my tags but if she wants to do it why not let her right.

BCBRAD
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM
mine took the course when 11yrs old, make sure she studies the ducks as this fails alot of people.

3kills
09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
did yours take the couse or challange the test?

butcher
09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
My 10 year old daughter just took the CORE and passed with 97%. I think the bird ID and gun safety was hardest. I helped her study.

3006pg
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
i did mine when i was ten and i passed with flying colors just make sure she studies and tries her best and im sure she will be fine

.300WSMImpact!
09-02-2010, 05:59 PM
my two nephews are taking it right now and they are 13 and 11, they right the test tonight, I am sure they will pass

swampthing
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
They may let you sit in with your child during the course. I was able to do this and it really helped.

krazy
09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
They may let you sit in with your child during the course. I was able to do this and it really helped.

Ya i was just going to suggest that too. The guy that did the course for my son when he was 10 years old had no problem with me or my wife sitting in to help with the intimidation factor - especially since the rest of the class was made up of 16 year olds and up. Not sure where you are but in Kamloops you can't beat Alec Farquharson! If not just ask the guy teaching the course.

Elkhound
09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Thats cool Darcy. I got an interesting email from my rod and gun club this summer (Mission). It was for a youth summer camp.

I sent my 12 year old daughter.

One week at the range. She got to shoot rifle, handgun, archery, trap and skeet. Took the core. Passed 97% and passed her firearms safety too with 95% What a fantastic idea to get youth to the range. So now she has her own hunting license and can shoot off her own tags instead of mine. Now I need to send in for her Junior PAL as well.

Find someone to to do the core with her. Let us know how it goes

afors
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
My 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter took and passed the CORE course this spring. I bought the CORE book for each of them and they had to read the chapters and we reviewed the questions in the book over a week. When it came time for the course and test they were more than prepared.

Good luck to you!

3kills
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
my grandpa is one of the instructors here in town so i have no doubts i can sit in with her on the core if i put her through the course. i think i might just get her to challenge it though. i also know another guy that is really good to do the test with.

700bdl
09-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Let her sit through the course. She will get more out of it.

Pete
09-03-2010, 04:19 AM
The course is designed for a 14 yr. old in grade 8. As with every rule there are exceptions, those being the 10 and 11 year olds that get through the first time. The majority of them have difficulty. The junior licence allows the younger hunter to get out and under guidence gain some of the much needed experience and at the same time develop physically and mentally. CORE is supposed to be a learning experence not something where the student is pushed through. It is very rare that a young person will say that they are not ready.

GoatGuy
09-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Personal experience is the young ones struggle more with ethics and conservation principles more due to a lack of interest and Probably a bit of understanding.

Would reccomed a class cause there will probably be pictures, slides and lots of hands on, also stories and experiences shared.

Kids seem to learn better that way.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Personal experience is the young ones struggle more with ethics and conservation principles more due to a lack of interest and Probably a bit of understanding.

Would reccomed a class cause there will probably be pictures, slides and lots of hands on, also stories and experiences shared.

Kids seem to learn better that way.

Which reminds me..I forgot to get that CORE book off you last time I saw you.
Somebody's chomping at the bit for more information.

SSS

GoatGuy
09-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Which reminds me..I forgot to get that CORE book off you last time I saw you.
Somebody's chomping at the bit for more information.

SSS

Anytime, will be around the house most of this weekend. After that, gone for a while.:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Anytime, will be around the house most of this weekend. After that, gone for a while.:-D

Since you're smiling I take it that it's not work?
I'll give you a shout. Should be heading over the pond sometime this weekend.

SSS

valleycowboy
09-03-2010, 06:36 AM
my 10 year old just pass the CORE a month ago and i sat in on the course......best advise.......make sure who ever is giving the course is good with teaching kids.make sure your daughter isn't afraid to ask questions if she is un-sure on something.
study,study and when she says she knows it all....study some more,lol.
good luck to her and she will do just fine!!

100MileGord
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Find a CORE instructor who LIKES to teach the 10-14 age group. Ask for references and/or word of mouth. As stated in a previous post, a competent instructor will allow a parent to sit in the class room portion. An instructor is also allowed to assist in the exam with oral exams and rewording complex questions as long as the assistance does not give away the answer.

The reading is the tough part because even if the young kid can "read" the words, often the comprehension lacks behind. What may be common sense for a teen or adult who has some bush experience, everything is new for younger kids.

CORE for 10-14 year olds becomes a family affair.

Caveman
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Take it with her. She'll enjoy it and she may ask you the questions that she may not be comfortable to ask the instructor. It did it with my son and it was great!

krazy
09-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Let her take the course ... she'll get a lot more out of it then she would just challenging the test.