PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Chowder Recipe

krazy
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
It's been a banner year for salmon so momma's been working on a few new recipes ... I think this one is spectacular!

Susan’s Salmon Chowder

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 C Salmon
* Salt & Pepper

* 2 – Potatoes
* 4 C – Chicken Stock or a Chicken Bouillon Cube (organic & msg free) & Water

* ½ – Large Onion, finely chopped
* ½ C – Mushroom, finely chopped
* ½ – Roasted Sweet Pepper (red, orange or yellow), chopped
* 3 – Cloves of Roasted Garlic, chopped

* Corn Starch, 1 – 1 ½ Tbsp – to reach desired thickness
* Cold Water
* Butter
* Olive Oil
* Fresh Parsley, chopped
* Salt & Pepper

* 2C – Whipping/Heavy Cream (approx. amount, add more to reach desired consistency if too thick)

* Parmesan Cheese

Directions:

Sprinkle Salmon with salt & pepper. Cook covered over medium heat on pre-heated BBQ until Salmon easily flakes apart with fork.

Put whole washed pepper onto BBQ and roast until skin is black. Put aside in covered dish until cooled. Once cooled peel skin, take out seeds and chop into coarse pieces.

Roast garlic on BBQ with skin on, bottom cut off to make removing from skin easier. After garlic is cool enough to handle, peel and cut into small chunks.

While Salmon is cooking, put Chicken Stock or Bouillon and water in pot. Heat until boiling. Add peeled and cut up potatoes to pot. Cook until potatoes are soft. Mash potatoes into a chunky puree (like lumpy mashed potatoes).

Sautee onions and mushrooms with some butter and olive oil until softened.

Wash and coarsely chop parsley leaves, discard the stems.

Mix the corn starch with cold water until smooth. Add to the pot with the potatoes and broth. Stir occasionally while cooking, letting it thicken to quite a thick consistency. Once the broth mixture has thickened from the cornstarch add the Salmon, flaked into pieces, onion, mushrooms, garlic, peppers and parsley. Let simmer for a bit, approx. 15 minutes. Add the Cream to mixture, using amount to reach desired consistency. Let cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Do not let boil, the cream will scald and taste burnt. If you like it thicker, cook a bit longer to allow it to thicken. If you like it thinner, add more cream. Add salt and pepper to taste if wanted.

Serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top of hot chowder. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

Enjoy ......Susan

PS: I have posted this and other recipes on the blog.

Johnnybear
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
That looks great krazy! Thanks for sharing it. It was perfect timing as I have some thawed salmon I had to cook. I only have one small problem...........I have to add some thawed crab meat as well:mrgreen:.

betteroffishing
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
what , no bacon ??? lol . i just love what bacon does to a creamy seafood soup.

MichelD
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
In Sointula they boil potatoes (add onions if you wish) and when they're just about cooked toss in really thick chunks of sockeye about three times the thickness of a fish steak until the fish is done salt and pepper and serve. You pour your own canned or fresh milk on top if you want.

krazy
09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
OK crab, bacon & potatoes ... I'll let momma know! :-D

A couple of guys have asked how much salmon to use with this recipe. Momma says she didn't measure this time but it was the whole tail section of one Chinook fillet. If she had to guess she thinks it would be about 1.5 cups of salmon. I have edited the recipe to show that and the next time she makes it she is going to measure and let me know.

Hope that helps! ...................K