PDA

View Full Version : broadheads per year?

shadowhunter
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
hey guys, just wondering how many broadheads do you go through a year that includes practice as well allright thanks guys!
ShadowHunter

Hunting4Life
09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
its over 9000!!!!! jk i rlly dont know but im getting a bow soon so in a year ill let u know ;-)

09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Not nearly enough...

tinhorse
09-02-2010, 01:25 PM
6 for the first year and 2 each year since. First year used 4 for practice and have used them ever since. then 2 a year for my 2 archery deer i usually go after.

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
There is no real need to keep buying new broadheads every year/season. Unless you're one of those guys who wants the "latest and greatest" of everything.

Learn to re-sharpen your heads. Keep one of every type as a practice head and for tuning to your shafts.

I've used the same broadhead for three years now. I just keep re-sharpening it and it keeps doing a great job of killing deer for me.

The only reason you should have to buy new heads is that you might hit a rock on your pass-thru shot and damage the ferrule or the blades so much that it is unusable.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I used the very same Broadhead for 5 years untill last year when I switched full time use heads ....

My friend Cody used the same head for 10 Elk untill on the 10th one when it passed through and smacked a rock on the other side ...

Keep em sharp ... and use em untill they break

hardnocks
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I use magnuss stingers send your damaged ones back and they will send you new ones.

Bow Walker
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I use magnuss stingers send your damaged ones back and they will send you new ones.
A quick way for a company to go into the toilet. Even if the 'new' ones were refurbished heads, it's a recipe for bankruptcy.

Much easier to learn to sharpen your own heads. It's easy and you'll get then way sharper than the factory does.

Mountaintop
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Don’t want to hijack the thread but what do you all use for resharpening your BH’s? I like really sharp knives and have a diamond stone, a regular whetstone and a real fine Arkansas stone. I am going to use Montec’s this year.

hardnocks
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
A quick way for a company to go into the toilet. Even if the 'new' ones were refurbished heads, it's a recipe for bankruptcy.

Much easier to learn to sharpen your own heads. It's easy and you'll get then way sharper than the factory does.

this is for broken broadheads
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/images/LW-logo.png

hardnocks
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
this is for broken broadheads
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/images/LW-logo.png
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/warranty_page.html

Bow Walker
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Wow - Magnus are the only one that I know of who offer that sort of warranty. thanks hardnocks.

Mountaintop - I use a whetstone (flat one) and a diamond impregnated hone for the final touch up. But, then again, I use replaceable blade broadheads so it's easy to remove the blade and sharpen them up.

Fixed blade heads will benefit from a shaped stone. There are stones for 3-blade heads, and for 4-blade heads, and also for 2-blade heads. They even work for replaceable blade heads. You just leave the broadhead assembled to sharpen it.

If you're sharpening whole heads, run them in the direction of the point, back towards the rear of the head in a single smooth stroke. Don't rub them on the stone. Hone them the same way. It'll help get them razor sharp.

shadowhunter
09-03-2010, 06:08 PM

dont worry i was just about to ask the same question haha thanks for your input guys!

Mountaintop
09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Bow Walker, thanks for the sharpening hints. Here is hoping I have to sharpen some later this year

Bow Walker
09-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Hope you get lucky...

Post up story and pics.