PDA

View Full Version : anybody used a baby carrier

barry1974w
09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I start my paternity leave in a couple of days and I'm thinking my son and I might have to spend a fair bit of time wandering around the bush. We've got an "all terrain" stroller and a baby bjorn front packer. But I'm thinking about getting a backpack style baby carrier. Has anybody used one of these and does anybody have any recommendations as to brand name, where to purchase ect?

Tenacious Billy
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I start my paternity leave in a couple of days and I'm thinking my son and I might have to spend a fair bit of time wandering around the bush. We've got an "all terrain" stroller and a baby bjorn front packer. But I'm thinking about getting a backpack style baby carrier. Has anybody used one of these and does anybody have any recommendations as to brand name, where to purchase ect?

Paternity leave? Sweet!! I guess if the little dude is old enough for a back-pack style one, go with that. It will keep him out of the way when you raise your gun to shoot something! :wink:

madrona sh
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
They are great for toddlers but not for babies.

barry1974w
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
My son is six months old, he's able to sit up by himself now, but he's not quite crawling yet. We did buy him a pair peltor kids ear muffs that are supposed to be good for six months plus as well, don't want him to end up with hearing like his father....

madrona sh
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
He is good to go in a backpack carrier then. It is the best way to pack the little rugrats around by far.

hunter33
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
My little guy has loved the baby carrier from 6 months, he even takes 2-3 hour naps while we are hiking. He is now 13 months and can't get enough of being out in the bush in the carrier; I would try craig's list if you are going to buy one.

bandit
09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a "bush baby" backpack its great. Really comfortable and suitable up to 4 years old. Has a big pocket in the bottom for carrying stuff too.

Tried taking my son hiking when he was 9 months in a baby bjorn, it did my back and neck in for 3 days after. Definitely dont recommend it.

3kills
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
My son is six months old, he's able to sit up by himself now, but he's not quite crawling yet. We did buy him a pair peltor kids ear muffs that are supposed to be good for six months plus as well, don't want him to end up with hearing like his father....

where did u find the peltor ear muffs? i have been lookin for some for my kids when i take them shootin.

LOC
09-02-2010, 12:13 PM
We use this one (http://littlelife.co.uk/html/child_carriers/voyager-s2.html). My daughter loves being in it (she's 18 months) and it's easy to wear.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Pretty cool you're thinking about taking him out!!

Just be sure to watch for predators if he starts crying:shock:.

SSS

skibum
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
use the backpack often in the bush - kid(s) love it. the only problem is having to stop myself from following game trails in the deep bush - kid keeps putting his head into branches

BCRiverBoater
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I apologize for the link as I do not care for MEC but it had a good write up.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 1313&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699667
It is an awesome carrier and we have used it for 3 kids and it has stood up very well. Can not go wrong. Has every option available.

springpin
09-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Deuter kid comfort, awsome child carrier, very comfortable on the back, and I really liked all the adjustments for my daughters comfort. TOP NOTCH in my eyes.

Springpin

BlacktailStalker
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I bought a "Deuter 2" baby backpack and my little guy (Who is 1 but is the size of a 2 year old) loves it.
Very comfortable.

huntergirl270
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
There is someone selling a brand new MEC one with the sunvisor/shield for $100 here in Chwk.

303Brit
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Another vote for a deuter, put 2 kids through it, well the youngest still goes in it.

Evolution
09-05-2010, 06:46 AM
We have a couple of MEC child carriers. They work well, but the child has to be able to hold its own head weight because you cant see what is going on back there. Both my daughters love being in it and its great when we (my wife and I) want to go somewhere that's just a little too far to walk for their little legs. The baby bjorn is handy for the wee ones and my wife also has a sling she calls the "peanut" which she seems to prefer over the Baby Bjorn. Im not sure why.

Hiking in to San Josef Bay 08/2009

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mecbackpack.jpg

sawmill
09-06-2010, 04:24 PM
We have a couple of MEC child carriers. They work well, but the child has to be able to hold its own head weight because you cant see what is going on back there. Both my daughters love being in it and its great when we (my wife and I) want to go somewhere that's just a little too far to walk for their little legs. The baby bjorn is handy for the wee ones and my wife also has a sling she calls the "peanut" which she seems to prefer over the Baby Bjorn. Im not sure why.

Hiking in to San Josef Bay 08/2009

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mecbackpack.jpg
Yeah,that kid looks happy.:mrgreen:

springpin
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
yup, both my girls went through the Deuter..They are very Durable.

bcsteve
09-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Anybody has a Deuter that their kids have outgrown? PM me.

Chuck
09-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Just be sure to watch for predators if he starts crying:shock:.

SSS

Great tip!...........makes sense too imo. Whoda thunkit?

landphil
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
We have a Kelty backpack carrier, well made and comfortable as well - I think it was rather pricy, but the mother-in law paid for it, so...:mrgreen:

island grown
09-12-2010, 09:28 PM
the best one i found was the "Kid Comfort 3" lots of room for gear and lasted through a few kids. i think it ran me about $300.

TSW
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
There is someone selling a brand new MEC one with the sunvisor/shield for $100 here in Chwk.

If it's the same as the picture posted by Evolution then it's only $110 brand new anyway! Might as well go to the store! I have the same pack though and really like it...it's likely not as good as the Deuter pack but at far less than half the price it's a very good buy.

hownewfoot
09-13-2010, 11:40 PM
The new ContourGPS captures GPS position, speed, and altitude as well as high-definition video and still photos.(Credit: ContourGPS) We're fans of the ContourHD wearable camcorder. It's easy to use suspended platform (http://www.suspended-access.com), captures great looking high-def video, and is rugged enough to survive the occasional knock and bump--in fact, we use the 1080p model every week to capture on-the-road footage for Car Tech Live. Today, Contour announces that the latest feature to come to its line of HD helmet-cams: location awareness in the new ContourGPS.The ContourGPS sports a similar industrial design as the previous ContourHD cameras but the devil's in the details. The most obvious change is the new hump on the record slider. This hump houses the Contour's GPS receiver. The unit also gets a new rear panel and sports the new "Contour" logo (if you're interested in that sort of thing).From a functionality standpoint, the ContourGPS logs the user's GPS position, suspended (http://www.suspended-access.com) elevation, and speed once per second while recording video and stores this information (presumably in the metadata of the video file). When played back using the proper software or uploaded to Contour's online community, the video is presented alongside a Google Map that tracks the cameras position alongside the HD video playback. Check the embedded video below to see this function in action:suspended-access.comLike the ContourHD, the ContourGPS features three video resolutions (HD 720p, Tall HD 980p, and Full HD 1080p) all recorded at 30 frames per second, as well as a 60-frame-per-second Action HD 720p setting. Gone is the SD video capture mode, replaced by a still photo mode that captures sequential static photos at 1- to 60-second intervals.The ContourGPS will be available worldwide next week at a $349.99 MSRP.www.suspended-access.com (http://www.suspended-access.com)from http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20016299-48.html