PDA

View Full Version : bow for grouse,quail etc..

Hunting4Life
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
would a compound bow work for quail or grouse or similar birds if i use the right arrows? i plan on practicing for ages before hunting if i do decide on getting one.

coach
09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
A bow works great for grouse, but the cost of arrows can get a little out of control if you lose or break them. I'm sure guys here will give you lots of suggestions on avoiding this. After you shoot, Judo points are easier to locate than blunts, because they tend to grab the grass and stop where they are. However, I find they tend to go right through a grouse and can make a bit of a mess of the meat. With a little practice, you should be able to hit them in the head. I killed about 20 or more with my bow last year, and the practice I got made me a lot more confident when I successfully arrowed a late season whitetail. The novelty kind of wore off and this year I will be going back to my trusty old .22 or using my 20 gauge / 30.30 over / under.

Hunting4Life
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
sounds great thanks for the advice, i will probs be getting a compound bow before school starts so im excited to get out practice and shoot some damn chickens!

buck nash
09-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Pellet gun works too if you can get close enough to them for head shots.

Hunting4Life
09-01-2010, 10:18 PM
id luv to but again u need a firearms license and im a minor and i wanna be able to use it alone and such

The Dawg
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
sounds great thanks for the advice, i will probs be getting a compound bow before school starts so im excited to get out practice and shoot some damn chickens!

GET YOUR CORE!!!

Hunting4Life
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
ok dude im getting it on the 18th and 19th which is soonest date possible, ok? so now to my second question, can i hunt alone with a bow?

springpin
09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Yes u can hunt by yourself with a bow...but, it will get exspensive as Arrows and Broadheads ARE NOT CHEAP!...Also ALOT of Practice is needed!!!! Maybe a bow hunting course should be taken after your CORE, and before hunting..

nolan-sawka
09-02-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/contents/media/l_snaro_point.jpguse these and its easy

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Those Snaro heads are great for birds. The only drawback is that they weigh a ton! Upwards of 140 grains. Maybe on shorter shots they will do OK, but if you shoot out to 20 yards your point of impact will change dramatically. Practice with them before attempting a kill.

I recommend the Judo points for two reasons. One, you can match the weight of the point to your broadheads - 100 grain or 125 grain. Two, because they do the job for which they are intended and they stop short when they hit the ground or any obstruction(s).

Hunting with a bow or even a crossbow is a great way to get out there and get up-close-and-personal with your prey. Mainly because you should not take any shots greater than 30 yards....maybe 40 yards with a crossbow, because it's easier to aim and to hit what you're aiming at (more rifle-like).

Hunting by yourself is often more satisfying than hunting with someone that you don't know all that well. Just be very careful out there because you are by yourself. You've got to be totally reliant on your own abilities if you get into any trouble. AND - make sure that you tell someone where you are going to be and when you expect to be back. Contact them when you do get back. It's like a safety net.

Hunting4Life
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
those snaro heads are interesting, how do they work exactly?

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The wire loops are stiff and kinda sharp. Get near the head of the bird and you can decapitate it. Then the fun begins - chasing the headless carcass while it's doing the funky chicken.

TimberPig
09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
ok dude im getting it on the 18th and 19th which is soonest date possible, ok? so now to my second question, can i hunt alone with a bow?

If you are under 18 years old, it does not matter whether you are using a gun, airgun, bow, crossbow rocks etc, you can't hunt alone. You need someone 18 or over to accompany you as per BC Wildlife Act regulations.

Hunting4Life
09-02-2010, 09:06 PM
ahhhhh thats so gay for us minors :-( :-( :-( im so sad, w/e i have an imaginary friend whos 18 :-P

Shootingblanks
09-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi Folks,

On the topic of heads for birds...can anyone suggest one for my Exomax? Being new to bow hunting I'm finding that I've opened a real can of worms regarding equipment and gear (and I'm loving it).

Bow Walker
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
With the speeds and the KE of your crossbow I'd suggest you use the Snaro heads. The weight wouldn't be a factor for you. All you need to do is to make sure the heads protude past and don't contact anything on your bow.

MikeH
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I've killed a lot of grouse with a bow Judo points are great.

Shootingblanks
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey Bow walker,

Thank you for the suggestion...do you think the 3' will get pass the foot stirrup of the crossbow?

Bow Walker
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
It all depends on your bolt length. You might need longer bolts? Not sure if you broadheads are extended beyond the stirrup or not. If so, you shoud be golden...