PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly draw 7-05

grizzlydown
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
The wife drew Grizz tag in 7-05 and I drew a big bull tag same area. anyone have insight on which part of 7-05 to look around at? We were thinking about going behind the Tumuch area or Goat river. Uncle passed away and his services are on the only weekend we were going scouting. SO now we are headed into unknown area and rolling the dice.

jml11
09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
7-05 has a decent population of Grizzlies. Fall grizzlies east of PG tend to be quite high up in the some of the sub-apline berry patches; however, this is a very poor berry year so not sure if that fact will hold true. Some of the marked trails wil bring you into good grizzly country, Raven Lake, Sugarbowl, Vineyards etc. but you might have to deal with some anti's on the trails...

The Goat River area consists of steep narrow valleys with a lot of greened up cut blocks but there should be some that are huntable. The tumuch is predominantley all bush especially around Slim Lake. The cutblocks farther back are all well greened up until you get to the very end (60-70 km sign board and ~3 hours from PG) where there are some 3-4 year old blocks that should have both moose and bears. Being that these blocks are really the only huntable area (for the average hunter) in the tumuch they may be quite busy. Plus they are almost completely drivable (road huntable). The greened up blocks will hold moose too but obvioulsy they are a tougher hunt. Slim Creek does have chinook salmon in it in september so there may some opportunity for a bear on the river?

I think there is a good opportunity for both grizzly and moose in that zone but you might have to do some legwork to get it done due to the lack of recent forestry development and some access issues. It is unfortunate you weren't able to scout it beforehand but you might get lucky early still!

grizzlydown
09-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the input JM/11! I appreciate any info. Looks like I will get out Monday for a look around!

BCrams
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
While there are some great alpine areas in 7-05, the best and biggest grizzlies in that zone will be taken around some of the streams holding chinook salmon. (i.e., Slim Ck) The outfitter in there targets them exclusively in these areas for fall grizzly. Take hip boots / waders to hunt the grizzly. You just might find one or two of his blinds overlooking stream channel areas. ;)

Berry crops are hit and miss this year. Some areas are still showing great bumper berry areas as indicated by a trip to the Robson area a couple weeks ago while other areas were suspsceptible to the summer heat. If anything, locating these pocket patches (think north slope / shady areas) and the grizz can be more concentrated than if it was a bumper berry year and have them all scattered through their range.

As jml mentioned with the recreation trails. They are hugely popular and the best advice is to avoid those places given how many other areas you can hunt. You're dealing with 'families' that take their kids day hiking up there (ours included). Shooting a grizz in these places and the pending gut pile / animal poses a potential threat to recreational hikers young and old.

For moose, your best opportunity for a bull will be north of the highway towards the Fraser River with some of the best being around Hungary Creek and Halfmoon Lake / Driscol Creek area as well as those blocks off the Ptarmigan just south of the highway. There is also some good harvest areas in the Humphreys Rd area as well. Wetlands galore. Those older blocks bordering these areas are dynamite for moose. The younger ones have been selectively harvested ... moose love it. You'd do really well to focus in these areas for moose.

swampthing
09-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Good advice . I put in in this are, but no go. Maybe next year. Have fun.