PDA

View Full Version : Arrows, all the same?

Rob
08-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Another question:-?. I shooting Gold tips Hunter Expedition 5575 .400 with 100gr's. Im going to buy some more arrows tom. If they dont have these same ones, am I okay to just buy .400's in say Carbon Express or another company??Rob

hardnocks
08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Try and get ones close to the same grains per inch . If you can`t get the same arrows .better yet start making your own arrows and match the weight .

Rob
08-31-2010, 10:32 PM
8.2gr! Sounds good. Ill check and see what they got

dutchie
09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
The most popular arrows at our store seem to be the Radial X-Weaves. There are 3 different veins available, the standard 3" the Blazer or the Fusion.

The fusion seem to drift less and hit a little higher then the blazers and the standard 3" veins and out of the chrony are 2fps faster then Blazers or standards.

Also the Radial X-Weaves do not have a spine because of how they are made. (the are made on the diagonal rather then horizontal:vertical)

So to answer your question, not all arrows are the same.

Dutchie

Bow Walker
09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
I've always tried to match the spine first, and the Grains-Per-Inch second - but getting the same brand in your spine is the best.

If, however, the shafts are in your length, and all you can get is a 340 spine, rather than the 400 that you want, it is better to go a little stiffer than going a bit lighter on the GPI. Keep in mind that the more you cut an arrow shaft down in length, the stiffer you make it.

I've cut and built some target arrows from a 500 spine shaft, then used them with my 62 lb bow. At first glance the 500 spine is too weak for a 62 lb bow, but by cutting them down by just over 4 inches the spine came in at a very usable value.

So you could get the next weaker spine value (if that's all there is) and cut them down to your length to make them work for you.

Rob
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Cool thanks, also how much is too much for an arrow going beyond the rest? Mine is at 2.5" beyond.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Cool thanks, also how much is too much for an arrow going beyond the rest? Mine is at 2.5" beyond.

Its a personal preferance of what flies better for you ...

I subscribe to Arrow Nodes so mine tend to be a bit longer than most ... which in reality for hunting they dont need to be ... But they sure do fly nice for me so I am leaving them there

Bow Walker
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I haven't done the 'nodes' thing to any of my arrows - too lazy I guess.

My draw is 28 inches. My arrow length is 26 3/8 inches - measuring only the shaft. I add the insert and nock bushing after I cut them down to size.

I use the APA Safari Twister arrow rest and it supports the arrow about 2 inches behind the Berger hole. My arrow shafts stick out about 1/2" past the support point of the arrow rest. Further if you measure to the end of the tip, be it field or broadhead.

hardnocks
09-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Robs got a 26in draw so spine shouldn`t be a real big issue . All two foot arrows are stiff spined . LOL

Rob
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Robs got a 26in draw so spine shouldn`t be a real big issue . All two foot arrows are stiff spined . LOL

F U :-D. LOL

hardnocks
09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
F U :-D. LOL

the reason i know this is i have a 27in draw. and shoot 25 in arrows .

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 09:44 AM
So Rob...you could most likely use GT's 3555s and cut them down to your length and they'd be stiff enough to hunt with. The lighter gpi will get you some more speed out of your setup. Something that all short-draw dudes look for and need.

I'd measure (with another arrow) and cut your new shafts so that they are no more than 1" past your arrow rest support point. But that's just me - you may not want to do that...

Rob
09-02-2010, 07:13 PM
I ended up picking up somemore gp's 5575 @ 8.2 gpi. and they've been cut down to 27". They fly nice with the field tips but the broadheads are shooting a couple inches high at 20yds

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
That'll mean they will be way off at 30 yards :icon_frow

Do you have an arrow spinner? They look like this...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner.jpg

They're from Pine Ridge and cost about $30 or $40 - but they're well worth it. Perfect way to see if the broadhead is in alignment with the shaft.

Otherwise you'll be having to use those U.B.A.R.s (universal broadhead adapter rings to try to get a good fit.