PDA

View Full Version : Sept 1st tomorrow

Buckmeister
08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
My son is pumped, he got his CORE this year and bought his license and Mulie tag today. He is 12 and chomping at the bit. He's over at a friends house tonight, but when I pick him up tomorrow after work, I'm sure he will ask if we can go out hunting tomorrow evening. So being the good dad that I am, I went out scouting tonight. In a spot where I almost always see bucks hanging out I spotted a 3 point that I think my son would be happy to take. I found a nice spot where we can sneek in early and set up and wait.

So weather permitting, this time tomorrow I might be posting some picks of my sons 1st ever deer!!! :mrgreen::-D:mrgreen:

frenchbar
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
hope he scores!!

OutWest
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Good luck and hope to see some pics/read a great story tomorrow! Nothing beats getting your first deer with dad beside ya!

CanuckShooter
08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
That would be sweet!!! Sounds to me like dad is a little pumped too?? :-D

peashooter
08-31-2010, 09:14 PM
good luck out there man. make some memories.

SR80
08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Get Some!!

Jelvis
08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Buck, Your a good dad to think of your son that way, I hope for the best and it works out the way you want it to .. good luck 2 ..
Jel .. Youth season is a good thing ..

JeremyCarrano302
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Hope he connects :) can't wait for sept. 10th :D

chainsaw
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Go get em boys good luck

TPB
08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Haha me being a youth as well i hope he is able to get something during "opening" day, best of luck to both of you

Buckmeister
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
That would be sweet!!! Sounds to me like dad is a little pumped too?? :-D

Oh yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Ya know it!!!!

slicky72
08-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Good luck to your son , looking forward to seeing some pictures of the happy hunter!

gearjunkierob
08-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Excellent! Hope he connects! Looking forward to the pictures.

Bow Walker
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
looking forward to the continuation of this unfolding saga. Good on you for going out and doing some homework to surprise your son.

Rodd
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll be taking my son out on Saturday, and he is PUMPED! I as well pre-scouted a good area where we could have a good stalk, have spotted a bachelor group browsing along the treeline of a recent Cut Block, and thats where we'll be setting up. I had a six point bull within 100yds this morning, and he was BUGLING! but could get him to leave the cows for a shot tho.... Maybe tonight!

Good Luck Bucky to you and your son, it'll be an un-forgettable experience regardless of the success! Hunt Hard and Hunt Safe! Cheers!

tuffteddyb
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
hope he gets one,it a great feeling for both of you when he does,was with my wife when she got her first and with my nephew when we got his first.was more fun than getting my own.

nano
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Good luck to you and your son, hope he gets a nice one and has fun!

Buckmeister
09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the best wishes and such. We did get out tonight but we didn't see a thing. Oh well, that's how it goes. But we will get out a whole bunch of times this season. And when my son does connect, I will be there, and I will post pics and story then.

Cheers and happy hunting everyone, and have a SAFE season!!!

slicky72
09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Anybody connect yet? Wishing all you kids luck , maybe this weekend we'll have some cool new pictures.:mrgreen:

swampthing
09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Good luck on it. Deer hunts are only made better if you have your kid with you.

Buckmeister
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Buckmeister's Log....Hunting season date: Sept 6, 2010

The alarm goes off at 4:45 am this morning. Myself and Jr. Buckmeister grab our things, get into the truck, and head up the hill. Our goal is to be at the top of the mountain at first light. We pass a few does on the way up. When it's light enough we get out of the truck and start walking along the edges of a big cutblock. After an hour and on the way back to the truck we spot another doe. We get to the truck and decide to head down. Not 500 yards down the road we spot another deer up on the hillside, it is about 40 yards away. I get the binos and see some decent bone. Now my son told me the other day he would like to get at least a 3 point muley. This deer appeared to be at least 3 points. I told my son, "It is at least a 3 point, do you want to take it?", but he didn't say anything, which I thought was weird. Then I looked again and could easily count 4 points, about a 150 class buck still in velvet. I told my son this new info and that seemed to get his attention.
I continue to drive the truck a little further down the road and park it behind a large bank. We both get out and load his rifle. Then we walk back up the road and the deer is still standing there. I can easily see the deer, but I realize my son is much shorter, and there is this large bank beside the road that obstructs his view of the deer. We find a V-notch in the bank that gives his a view of the buck, but there is a bunch of branches in the way. He wasn't confident enough to take a standing shot (probably a good thing) and wanted to take a knee in order to get stable. But whenever he knelled he lost sight of the deer. So the only option was to climb the bank towards the deer. We both climb the bank, about 2 minutes have passed by now I'm sure, and the buck is still staying put. I see a good rest on a stump about 12 feet ahead. Just as we reach the stump and start to get set up, the deer decides to run. :cry::cry: We get back to the road and circle back around, but he is nowhere in sight, but we spot another 2 does. What ever happened to mulies only running a short distance and then turning around for another look????
Then my son informs me that he only wants to shot a deer that has at least 4 points on one side. Hmmmm....so much for all the 3 points I have seen running around. Now I have my work cut out for me. :)

So we head back down the hill and come up to the spot where we were set up the other day and where I always see bucks and lo and behold we see a buck. But it is foggy out and he is heading into the trees so we can't make a positive ID as to size. So we park the truck, get out, and circle up and around where the deer was. We wait for the fog to clear, all the while listening to the deer crash through the bush. As the fog lifts, I let out some "burp grunts", this seems to get the deers attention as he starts making more noise and starts raking his antlers. Then a few seconds later he walk out into plain sight and he's got his "dominant buck" pose going on. He was a large 2 point. :? Right behind him was a small 2 point. I ask my son if he wants either of them, and he declines. We wait as we can still hear some noise in the bush. Another 3 bucks emerge, another 2 point and some spikers.....so I guess that large two point was the dominant buck of this group after all. I ask my son again but he declines to take any of the bucks.

I don't blame him and I admire his patience. We would rather let the little ones grow up before throwing some lead in their direction. We didn't get anything this morning, but we were successful in finding the deer and we both learned a ton and had fun doing it. That's what really counts. Now all I have to do is deliver my son to a 4 point or bigger and the deed is done....I hope.:wink: