PDA

View Full Version : rookie moose hunters 5-12 a

bucky669
08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
as leh's went this year my friends and i were able to get 4 out of 5 moose draws in area 5-12a for nov1 to 15. we are all first time moose hunters and have never been around that area before or even seen it. what i was hopping for was some information in what ever means you might be able to give us. we have already booked a cabin in puntzi lake but still need to know stuff such as gas stations, food stops, and if your feeling ok maybe kind of were to look for moose and or mulies out there.

thank you very much for reading
and hope to hear about your thoughts on that area

bucky669

shawnwells
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
nice luck.....

sparkes3
08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
we were at puntzi lake two years ago same time frame absolute waste of time energy boots gas tires food wood and air.not saying it will be the same this year but almost everything was gone outta that area when we were there and what wasnt gone was shot with spot lights long after dark.

CanuckShooter
08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
we were at puntzi lake two years ago same time frame absolute waste of time energy boots gas tires food wood and air.not saying it will be the same this year but almost everything was gone outta that area when we were there and what wasnt gone was shot with spot lights long after dark.

Real nice........:evil:........they are asking for tips and assistance, not discouragement.

MuleyMadness
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
It's going to be a tough hunt, for some of the reasons mentioned before (and believe me, the other poster's statement is not, commonly, understating the situation at all), but also because it's post rut, and the animals are holed up licking their wounds and trying to put on weight for the winter. That being said, I think this year may be slightly more to your advantange than some years, because I believe that this year will be a long, cold winter which may see plenty of snow. Because of that you will see a concentration of moose into areas where there is still food and decent cover at that time of year. So my suggestion would be to look for protected pockets in areas where you see food sources for the moose, and if you snoop around enough, you might just get lucky. Don't be discouraged by a lot of snow...snow is something you want in this hunt, because it lessens the bulls options for food and makes them more likely to be on the move...and spotted by you and your hunting party.

I would recommend you head up there the weekend before opening so you can get a chance to find your way around and be ready with boots on the ground come Nov 1.

Sorry can't be mouch more help, but you're gonna have to work your ass off for this one, and forget about staying in your truck if you want to be successful.

FishandHunt
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
I was pulled for the Oct 1 - 10 hunt close to there, It will be a heavy snow pack by the time you arrive. Like mentioned before its post rut so hunting will be a little more challenging as the bulls may not respond to calls. It will be easier to track though.

.330 Dakota
09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Real nice........:evil:........they are asking for tips and assistance, not discouragement.

Maybe so, but I dont think they want to be lied to either

sparkes3
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
just stating facts

sparkes3
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM

oops i meant your guaranteed to get your moose .
just not in that area.
i would rather they said shit that ******* was right, instead of that fn asshole has no idea what he is talking about.
that time frame in that area is going to be a hard hunt. but when all is said and done i hope you guys do bag a swamp donkey and the biggest one to come out of that area to date just to prove me wrong.good luck on the hunt and dont forget tracks dont fill the freezer if you dont see any fresh sign around puntzi move to a different area sometimes a few kilometers will make all the difference when moose hunting.

Junorr500
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
was in there 3 years ago and had no luck. same situation not knowing where to go or what to do. Good advice to get out and walk though.

Wish i had walked into this pond as the only decent tracks we saw were acroos the road there. No gurantees though that was three years ago. From what i heard the game is up high in the hills in the park where you need a horse to get to them. Saw a monster blakie up there though.

52°27'2.88"N
124°16'37.53"W

silvicon
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
As one that knows region 5 per se, 12 some more:
there are NO moose in region 5 at all, thx to FN's and wolves!
the whole trip will be a waste of time and money!
the few that MAY be there are chased around by Al Tew.

behemoth
09-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Nov is a hard hunt but super fun!!
Nothing like hunting in the snow, following moose tracks around, trying to guess if its a bull or cow, how big, etc...
My advice is to get out of your vehicles, hike until you cross tracks, and if the tracks are fresh enough, hunt the beast down!!
You guys just need one and it'll be the trip of a lifetime for you all.
Good luck!!!

Elkhound
09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
if my memory serves.....go up chezacut just outside of alexis creek. Good hunting there last time I went few years back....bring a mulie tag. They are everywhere