PDA

View Full Version : hunting residency question

sheephunter17
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I have a friend who is going to be buying some land in BC. We are both alberta residents and most of the people using the land will be albertans. So my question is as alberta residents can we legally hunt on his private property and if not is there something we can do, other than moving:wink:, to make it legal. Thanks

pete_k
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012.pdf

See page 9

sawmill
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
I believe you have to be a B.C. resident for 6 months of the year.Or hire a guide.Otherwise you need to make friends with a resident who is willing to get a permit to accompany.Could be wrong though.

palmer
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
NO, unless you get a resident to get a permit or hire the local guide....

eaglesj
08-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Do you have a BC Core Number? If not, you are not a BC resident.

BC Resident - means a person who is a Canaadian Citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia and who has been physically present in BC for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act.

When I was living in Alberta, the CO told me I cannot be a BC and Alberta Resident for hunting purposes.

pete_k
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
You could apply for Dual citizenship. Some places in BC accept Alberta money at par. :)

Devilbear
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a friend who is going to be buying some land in BC. We are both alberta residents and most of the people using the land will be albertans. So my question is as alberta residents can we legally hunt on his private property and if not is there something we can do, other than moving:wink:, to make it legal. Thanks

I encountered a somewhat similar situation in 1990-93, when working for the Alberta Environment Ministry, Forest Service and helping out Parks, a little. I asked a "fish cop" at coffee in the Hinton Ranger Station and he told me that, generally, IF one could qualify for a driver's licence in each province, he would be accepted as a "resident" for hunting licence purposes.

Now, obviously, things may have changed and I strongly suggest that you call Victoria and get a WRITTEN decision on this issue BEFORE you guys so much as point a gun at anything in BC; it will be too late if you are charged and convicted and this COULD well happen.

I would prefer to see a clearer statement of just what is/is not legal in both the BC and AB regs, but, hey, it's government! So, call the BC government general switchboard number in the "blue pages" in your phone book and ask them for the correct number in Victoria...and, whn you get the written reply, KEEP IT WITH YOU when hunting on that land.

sheephunter17
08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I believe you have to be a B.C. resident for 6 months of the year.Or hire a guide.Otherwise you need to make friends with a resident who is willing to get a permit to accompany.Could be wrong though.

kindve what i thought, thanks guys... so anyone want to be my friend it could be beneficial for everyone haha

d6dan
08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's the link to the permit, now you need a BC resident friend :-D.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/accompany_to_hunt.pdf

.330 Dakota
08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
What they said

Ambush
08-31-2010, 06:14 PM
kindve what i thought, thanks guys... so anyone want to be my friend it could be beneficial for everyone haha

Sounds like you're in a perfect position for "trade a hunt" . A BC guy gets a permit to accompany you for a BC hunt and you do the same for him in Alberta.
Now, some folks are going to start dreaming up all kinds of "what ifs" but it's legal.
Great opportunity here for some new friends to share hunts.

sawmill
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Sure,where is the property?:mrgreen:

sheephunter17
08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you're in a perfect position for "trade a hunt" . A BC guy gets a permit to accompany you for a BC hunt and you do the same for him in Alberta.
Now, some folks are going to start dreaming up all kinds of "what ifs" but it's legal.
Great opportunity here for some new friends to share hunts.

Thats kindve what i was thinking, im game for whatever. Ive hosted a few guys here in alberta already so i know my way around the paperwork that way, and i know i few good spots for some sheep, elk or deer. And the property is somewhere west of Jasper AB im told, im not really sure ill have to find out for sure.