PDA

View Full Version : 4 months 13 days, but who's counting???

CAMO GIRL
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
OK...i have been under a rock for a few months, but am I the only one itching for the season to open??? I am eagerly awaiting the LEH synopsis to come out as some kind of sick pacifier to tide me over until September. I ran out and bought my licence on the first, but probably won't get out to use it till the 10th of September...what was the point? 'Cause I could I guess. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm some kind of addict! I got a new gun last weekend...a .17, very cool. Can't shoot anything with it yet, I don't know what's worse, buying a new gun you can only use at the range for months, or not getting a new gun at all. OK not getting a new gun, but still!!! Anyhow, to the guys who were awaiting those pics of my first deer before I disappeared for a few months there, I will put them on VERY soon! If anybody has a good way to pass these next few months before hunting season opens fully, please fill me in...I'm dying over here. Life in the city sucks enough, why can't it be fall already!?!

willyqbc
04-27-2006, 10:43 PM
why don't you go bear hunting? or maybe bunnies (have to check my regs on that)
I think we figured it out one day and theres only 27 days out of the year that we can't hunt something.....now isn't one of those 27 days!!:grin:

Chris

CAMO GIRL
04-27-2006, 11:03 PM
True enough, but hunting buddies aren't into bear this time of year...as a lone hunter, I'm not into it either...bunnies are an option for a couple of days...but what I'm really craving is the deer tho!:wink:

todbartell
04-27-2006, 11:07 PM
welcome back to HBC ;-)

Fred
04-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Ex and I will be taking Steeleco out for bear shortly, perhaps someone could do the same for a fine young lady! :-D And you could use that new 17 on a Turkey. Someone else here already has! :wink: Fred

mark
04-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Yip i was gonna say turkey too, or head into the interior and slay some gophers with that .17, i hear it makes a mess of gophers! But i hear ya im dying to hunt something with antlers!!!!

BlacktailStalker
04-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Sounds like our symptoms are similar. I thought I was the only one! Maybe I'm not crazy after all !
Shed hunting and scouting passes the time a little bit, it's nice to scout when all the trees are bare and the under foliage hasn't grown up yet. Find last falls rubs and main trails, or intersections where they connect. It's easier going where they go when it isnt as bushy in there. Great time to trim shooting lanes if you are a bow hunter too as they will get used to the changes over the next few months.

MattB
04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I spend the off season scouting out the bucks for the next season. I spend pretty much every weekend and almost all free time in the spring out shed hunting. Im already up to 63 sheds so far this year. Biggest has been a 77" muley shed off a buck that i have 7 other sheds from. I have also picked up a ton of sheds off bucks i will keep my eye on over the next few years to see how they develop. Once the grass has grown too tall, then its time to look for bears! After the bear season I usually have a month off until i start pounding the mountains checking out all the usual alpine basins looking for huge muleys. And in no time its sept 1st and I've got that big muley in my sites.......really does go by quite fast when you put the time in.

Elkhound
04-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Welcome back.......and get out there and scout. Thats what I like to use bear season for as well. But take the rifle and a bear tag......you never know what you will see. Find a buddy who will go bear hunting with you......I would take you but my weekends seem to be kinda full at the moment helping some others. But I am sure you could find someone

CAMO GIRL
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Great ideas guys (& yeah I already have a bear tag)...I know pathetic since I don't have anybody to go bear hunting with! But I would like to get out there, maybe my ex will call and invite me into the woods with him & his gun, but not too sure if that's a good idea!! Kidding!...I'll let Y'all know if I do end up getting out there. I'v got the May long weekend in mind. With any luck I'll be out there somewhere & who knows, maybe I'll be able to enter the bear contest:wink:

cwocarsten
04-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey Cammo girl,did you know there are deer still in Richmond? At my army unit on 4 and Alderbridge saw a doe last year and 2 yrs ago my buddy took a pic of a small 4pt buck in the front parking lot. Did not believe it for the longest time but I have seen with my own eyes. Too bad I can't set up a tree stand in the back forty with my bow.

Foxer
04-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Too bad I can't set up a tree stand in the back forty with my bow.

In richmond? There's no "no hunt" rule in richmond is there? I believe it's just 'no shoot'. I'd have to double check - but i don't see why you cant' set up a bowstand on your property and zap 'em. There's duck hunting in richmond after all.

Fred
04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Belcarra area is a no shooting area but one used to be able to bowhunt on the hydro right of ways. If that is still doable I don't know. Fred

Foxer
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
If it's JUST a 'no shooting' zone - it's a hunting zone. most municipalities that don't allow hunting state so quite clearly.

Easy to find out with a couple of calls in any regard.

CAMO GIRL
04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Hmmmm...youz guyz is givin me ideaz!...i'll have to do some checkin' on that one:p

rbduck
04-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi CG. I recognize your name from CGN. I`m new here too. I lived in Richmond for 16 yrs(near #1Rd and Williams) and we used to hunt just over the dikes in low tide.(I walked 3 blocks with my shotgun back then and no one said anything). Pheasant hunting was great then too.
Anyways.....do you have any place to varmint hunt there? How about rabbit? Go for a walkabout at low tide on the Fraser, check the marshlands. Oh yeah, I`m waiting on a back ordered Stevens 200 in .243 so I do sympathize with you. Don`t remember ever seeing a deer there though.

Patience my child.....your turn shall come.

Ron:mrgreen:

CAMO GIRL
04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
rbduck, I think I may be a different camo girl than the one ur thinking of. I guess there are a few of us out there:p Nope, never hunted in Richmond at all actually, too "big city" I guess. I always go out of town. I think most people here would call 911 if they saw anybody with a gun. Sad, but true. I have seen deer here though, I saw a doe on #6 road last year & a few out triangle road (just off #6 where the old dump used to be).

Foxer
04-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I dunno - looooota hunters out in richmond. You might be surprised :)

Lotta rabbits too. Unfortunately they're all smarter than me. I hate them SOOO much...

000buck
04-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I have seen deer here though, I saw a doe on #6 road last year & a few out triangle road (just off #6 where the old dump used to be).

watch out for them garbage deer even the bears won't mess with them.....:-D

CAMO GIRL
04-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Please! Don't get me wrong, I never looked at those deer at the old dump as hunt-able, as for the bunnies, I know there are TONNES of them, I just wouldn't want to get arreseted going after them:?

farside
04-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Camo, if you are ever over on the island let me know. Would like to meet another huntress. Currently I am suffering from "no hunting partner" as well as hubby is in camp until god knows when and the other lady I hunt with is busy with work and her horses and my daughter WILL NOT HUNT BEARS. Silly twit she won't even go for the drive just in case I do get one cause she will have to help. She will eat them but won't deal with them as "they are just nasty mom".

BCLongshot
04-30-2006, 03:03 PM
:grin: Oh c'mon you can follow us married guys to bear hunt on the Sat of the May long weekend. We'll let you have a small 1 but the big 1 will be mine. At the same time it's good to scout for your deer. Good Friday I must have seen 30-40 Mule deer on the east side of Harrison.

bsa30-06
04-30-2006, 03:58 PM
BCLongshot, i hope you tied one to a tree cause they sure as hell wont be there come opening day.(and if you did i hope you tied one to a tree for me).

LeverActionJunkie
05-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd Have to suggest gophers up here in the interior, weve been hard at it for a couple weeks up here already. Or if you can find some magpies the .17hmr does amazing things to maggies:grin:

CAMO GIRL
05-06-2006, 05:57 PM
LAJ...hehehe, will probably take it with me too, thinking about going looking for Yogi tomorrow, around Harrison probably:grin:

bsa30-06
05-06-2006, 05:59 PM
camo girl , where abouts around harrison are you thinkin of going?

CAMO GIRL
05-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Seen one on the road last year on Chehalis, probably somewhere around there.:wink:

bsa30-06
05-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I'll be on the east side of the lake if you happen over that way and see a guy in blue dodge ram pick up be sure to stop and say hi , i will also be wearin my HBC hat.Good Luck.

CAMO GIRL
05-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Sure thing...don't know what I'll be driving. Sold my truck & going to rent something tonight for tomorrow!! But I'll be wearing mu HBC hat too...:grin: & Good luck to you too!:grin: