PDA

View Full Version : Muskwa Virgin

browning
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
I am a newbee to jet boating and running rivers. Last year about this time I purchased a used 18 foot ailicraft explorer with a 175 sportjet and plastic on the bottom. I have had some time to use it locally here in the central interior on the Nechako and the Stuart river, but I would like to venture north up the Muskwa. I have hunted the Fort Nelson area mainly by horses or fly in, this wll be a first by boat. My dad and I am heading up this weekend for 10 days to try and find an elk. Any advice from fellow boaters on running the Muskwa , do's and dont's, things to watch out for would be very much appreciated. Not looking for directions to any of your honeyholes, just hoping for advice to keep the dints to a minimal on the first trip. Any input would be great! Thanks...Wes....

palmer
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Muskwa to Tuchodi and head towards lakes....Elk a plenty....if not too busy around DEAD DOG creek

Swamp Rat
08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Being a Muskwa Virgin i would get a few notches in my belt before attempting the Tuchodi, especially if the water level is low... Yes, Elk a plenty, with some hiking into the hills.

browning
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
As far as the river is concerned is there any parts of the river to use extra caution or things to look out for on the way up? I'm planning to launch at the Kleedo launch and head upstream towards the mouth of the tuchodi river.

stoneslinger
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Heads up for undercover people that will be checking for legal harvest, carcass portions, boater cards, and such.

brianscott
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
2 things you will need.

a tow rope or self ectraction kit( 50 yards of steel cable, a cable puller, waders and some Macgyver skills)

A spring loaded grate, with a stomp bar over your intake that you can clean quickly.

We used to have bad leaf days and the intake would get plugged all the time.
Sucks to power out when you are up against a bank in fast water.

Deaddog
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
stick to the muskwa and you should be fine, if you go further than about five hours up it gets hairy... lots of good elk country all around the muskwa, get off the river and hike up into the hillls...

Rugersingle
08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
We just came down on Monday and the water is low and dropping fast in the Tuchodi. Existing conditions are more like late Sept than late Aug... Keep the load light or your going to be scrapping some of that plastic off or even worse a bit of metal. The splits before the lake is really dropping fast...that extraction kit may come in useful ;0 ...but thats just MHO. I'm going back up in late Sept and I'm pretty sure if we dont get a pile of rain between then and now I wont be anywhere near to where I just was.
Just like climbing the mountain... getting to the top is one thing...coming back down is enterly a differant experience.

stixnstones
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
water is very LOW. dont bite off more than you can chew.

bridger
09-01-2010, 04:14 AM
if you are truly a muskwa virgin with the water levels being what they are you are about to become deflowered as they say. lol. lots of elk on the muskwa and more water. tuchodi can be challenging at the best of times.

stoneslinger
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Pack some type of goop suitable to plug gashes in aluminum. Tools to remove floorboards and a sledge to pound with. Maybe even an extra portable 12volt bilge pump. Always sucks to drive a boat home that takes on water. Avoid driving over top the ripples.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Pack some type of goop suitable to plug gashes in aluminum. Tools to remove floorboards and a sledge to pound with. Maybe even an extra portable 12volt bilge pump. Always sucks to drive a boat home that takes on water. Avoid driving over top the ripples.

God, it aint THAT bad!

Lots of elk on the muskwa, and less boats. Tuchodi is a gong show.

bridger
09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
lots of boats on the river now and if you have trouble don't worry the guys are really good about helping out and getting you out of trouble if you need help. just go and a good time. its a great place to be.

stoneslinger
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
With regard to riverboats I keep in mind the folowing: "It's great until it turns bad".

northof49
09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Watch for bears after the kill.

lunatic
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Always, always, pack a spare motor as you never know when it will blow up or seize. Also can't hurt to carry a spare hull! lol.....:mrgreen:

stoneslinger
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Dont laugh. Motors have been changed out on the Tuchodi before!

Deaddog
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
We just came down on Monday and the water is low and dropping fast in the Tuchodi. Existing conditions are more like late Sept than late Aug... Keep the load light or your going to be scrapping some of that plastic off or even worse a bit of metal. The splits before the lake is really dropping fast...that extraction kit may come in useful ;0 ...but thats just MHO. I'm going back up in late Sept and I'm pretty sure if we dont get a pile of rain between then and now I wont be anywhere near to where I just was.
Just like climbing the mountain... getting to the top is one thing...coming back down is enterly a differant experience.

Did you get up past the splits??

browning
09-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the advice so far, definately not planning on going up the tuchodi on my first trip. I was hoping to find a decent spot between the launch and where the mouth of the tuchodi runs into the muskwa. Most of the trip for me is being out and seeing new country. To see some elk and maybe even get one would be a bonus! Well until the weekend I guess I'll keep packing and check out some more "Rock Doctor" You Tube videos of river running.

shallowH2O
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
if you find an apporpriate channel going up, temember it for coming down. there are a few choices to make on the lower muskwa but nothing to hard or to major

lunatic
09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Dont laugh. Motors have been changed out on the Tuchodi before!

Yes, I am well aware of that....but I don't think anyone would carry a spare.....I was being facetious!:?

Rugersingle
09-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Did you get up past the splits??

We did but had to take a new line twice on the way up and did get stuck once coming out the last time. That was on Sunday last. By the time we got to the mouth on Monday the usual line was getting pretty thin for a heavy boat. No "ticks" but lots of throttle...