PDA

View Full Version : Youth Hunters without CORE

Rodd
08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Just talking with some buddies, and they mentioned that if you purchase a junior hunting licence and your child has not taken the CORE course, that they would be in-eligable to hunt under the youth seasons, because the adult that is cutting his/her tag for the animal would have to legally be able to take the game himself. ie:sept 1-9 muley's, I can't hunt with my rifle then, but I understood that my son could and use my tag??? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated so i can tell him to shut up about ti..............

Peters Wildlife
08-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Junior hunting licenses are only valid for reg. season hunts on your tags. He or she has to complete the CORE program to be able to take advantage of the youth hunts

JeremyCarrano302
08-31-2010, 01:58 PM
A junior license is only good if ur between 10 and 14 I believe so if there older than that they need there core

Rodd
08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Seems ridiculous, tag is a tag, and they still must be accompanied by an adult even with CORE. I just don't get the difference, as the newest hunters out there should have the best chance to harvest an animal during Youth season shouldn't they? My son will be taking the CORE next summer anyway, I just never thought of it that way, and i bet alot of others didn't think about it either.... Maybe I'm just thicker than your average bear... lol

Rodd
08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
My son is 11 and doesn't have his CORE, but wants to partake in the Youth seasons very badly....

Rodd
08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Just re-read the regulations, and their is no mention that you must have completed the CORE in order to partake in the youth season only denotes the following "** Season restricted to hunters under the age of 18" In my humble opinion I think they can hunt during the youth season. But i definately want to make sure its legal.

GoatGuy
08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Junior hunting licenses are only valid for reg. season hunts on your tags. He or she has to complete the CORE program to be able to take advantage of the youth hunts

This is incorrect.

You can get a youth a junior license from 10-13 and they shoot their 'guardians' tags (usually dad) in any legal season, including junior season.

MIL720
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
just go get him his friggin CORE.......problem solved

Rodd
08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Your Right MIL720, I'm pretty selfish with my tags anyway, and hate to give one up, but I've shot lots of Deer so no Big deal to me. Just want to make it happen this weekend, and I don't want any trouble.

Farmer
08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Goat Guy is correct. A junior licence allows the junior hunter to hunt on an adults tag in the youth season. I phoned and asked the regional biologist in Region 8 a couple of years ago to make sure.

buk1830
08-31-2010, 04:13 PM
o.k straight for the CO's mouth !Youths can hunt with there junior licence during the youth hunts, what ever they get comes off your tags.

PointMan
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Goat Guy is correct. A junior licence allows the junior hunter to hunt on an adults tag in the youth season. I phoned and asked the regional biologist in Region 8 a couple of years ago to make sure.
Thanks Farmer, I was starting to sweat, just finished gathering all the gear INCLUDING the new rifle I bought just for the occasion. Was NOT looking forward to telling my son that tomorrows hunt was a scratch. PHEW! LOL

ve7iuq
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
From the horses mouth.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/H4831/regs.jpg

100MileGord
08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
As MIL 720 said "Get the kid his/her CORE.

Shop around for a CORE instructor who has a track record of teaching 10 to 14 years olds. The course is not that tough if parents are supporting the child with the reading and the instructor teaches to the age level.

For a lot of kids (boys especially) achieving their CORE at that age is a huge right of passage that is hard to replicate once puberty sets in and they are thinking about other things.

peashooter
08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
so just to clear up here. at 14-18 still youth hunts. they still cut dads tag? do they just have to be present on purchasing of license and not yet needing core?

willyqbc
09-01-2010, 07:24 AM
peashooter.....once they reach 14 they must have the CORE and their own license but they may still partake of the youth seasons

Chris

luckynuts
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Your Right MIL720, I'm pretty selfish with my tags anyway, and hate to give one up, but I've shot lots of Deer so no Big deal to me. Just want to make it happen this weekend, and I don't want any trouble.

My son has his Junior license this year and has first dibs on all my tags except goat and only because it would be stupid of me to take him along. Besides I would gladly let my son cut all my tags those are memories you will never get back as he grows up. We made a deal and that is next year I pay for the core he passes great he fails he has to buy all the tags and pays to rewrite the exam. Learn them early, to respect money and work hard for the things they want.

W.

JAFA
09-01-2010, 08:30 AM
So... Where do you purchase a junior hunting license?

Same as a regular license?
J.

250 sav
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Got my tags back this year as my son got his core. He,s almost 12 and did well on core tests. Previous 2 seasons hunted on my tags, 3 bucks two of which were in youths seasons. Giving up your tags for your kids use is well worth it. I found our hunting trips more enjoyable whith my son shooting. the day he got his first buck was very exciting for both of us and a memory of lifetime. Yes he can use your tags in youth season

pete_k
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Seems ridiculous, tag is a tag, and they still must be accompanied by an adult even with CORE. I just don't get the difference, as the newest hunters out there should have the best chance to harvest an animal during Youth season shouldn't they? My son will be taking the CORE next summer anyway, I just never thought of it that way, and i bet alot of others didn't think about it either.... Maybe I'm just thicker than your average bear... lol

I don't know how old your boy is. But I found this article. It's near the bottom of the page. Makes a good argument that kids should be with adult supervisors when hunting.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008091552_apwahikershot1stldwritethru.html

Most kids are fine. But there's a few than can get bush fever at such a young age.

Rodd
09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't know how old your boy is. But I found this article. It's near the bottom of the page. Makes a good argument that kids should be with adult supervisors when hunting.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008091552_apwahikershot1stldwritethru.html

Most kids are fine. But there's a few than can get bush fever at such a young age.

PeteK,
I agree that they should be accompanied by an adult. My son is 11 and the only thing he gets to hunt by himself is squirrels! And he gets lots of them with his pellet rifle. Good article.

Thanks for all the info HBC'ers I've got his licence and we are after a muley this weekend. Yahoooooo! Hunting season has finally arrived! Cheers to all my fellow hunters!:-D

MIL720
09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Good luck to you and your son Rodd....Hope ya knock one down....take lots of pics