PDA

View Full Version : Butchering Knives Help Please

krazy
08-31-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking to purchase some new butchering knives and was hoping to get some recommendations to look at. I get by now using 2 - 3 knives (boning, medium butcher and large butcher) so I don't think I need an elaborate collection of knives, nor does it have to be anything fancy, but I would like decent quality. I would also wouldn't mind something that comes in a kit (roll up apron?) for easy transport to wherever we will be cutting. Oh and a sharpener would also be nice.

Any opinions or recommendations out there?

Thanks .......Rob

REDGREEN
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Henkle knives and a lansky sharpener will meet all of your needs

bearslayer01
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
well 12' i find is too big the ones we use at our store are victornox or somthing like that depending on the quality u may need a belt grinder thats what we use its hard on the knives but when u cut as much meat as we do u need a good edge

igojuone
08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
x2 on the Victornox as for a belt grinder skip it and take a knife sharpening course. Try Rick Wiebe, he's a well known craver/artist and he teaches knife sharpening in and around BC, maybe he has a course offered near you. Here is his web site http://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/
Once you know how you'll wonder why everyone doesn't know how.

sawmill
08-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Hienkels are great,so are Victotianox,also have a 12 inch Old Hickory for slicing.I use a bench grinder for all my knivessuper fine grit wheel and just smoothly and quickly drift the edge across as light as smoke.Practise on a crappy knife,it takes practice for sure but 2 passes and you are razor sharp.Saves a lot of dickage when you are busy.

blueboy
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Try nella knifes in burnaby great knifes for the money ,

krazy
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey thanks guys! gives me some options to look into! I'm definitely interested in learning how to properly sharpen knives as well so I'll check out Rick Weibs site too!

Cedarstrip
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
I've got these, (or most of them).
Meets all your needs except for maybe a caping knife. Love 'em!

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1196&section2=1382&section3=1570&ID=9541

Arctic Lake
08-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Krazy
I'll put in my 2 cents here.Victorinox blades are my choice,I was in the meat industry for over 20 years and most of the meat industry use them.Get the Fibrox knife handles they are great for staying in your hand when they are greasy and wet. There are a few good knife brands out there to choose from without selling the ranch.A knife blade with a Rockwell hardness of 56-60 won't take you a year to hand sharpen and won't become dull real quick.Buy a couple of Norton water stones for hand sharpening,practice,practice and you will get the hang of it.Get a knife steel,F.Dick made in Germany make the best worldwide IMHO.Any questions that I may be able to help with ask and I will try and get back to you
good Luck
Arctic Lake

krazy
08-31-2010, 05:14 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1196&section2=1382&section3=1570&ID=9541

Hey Cedar thanks - I think that may be the ticket! I also like what I'm seeing on the Victorinox.

As far as sharpening, I have a gatco (sort of like lanskey) and it works well but I don't really like the time it takes to get it all set up so I think I'll try the stones that Arctic lake suggested along with trying to learn the propper way to sharpen.

Thanks again everyone!

Chuck
08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Talking about sharpeners......those electric jobs that are always in the Cabelas catalogue. Counter-rotating diamond encrusted wheels.
Excellent for fast tune up, but will eat steel like the dickens if you aren't on the ball. Great for production down time - it eliminates it.
Sorry, just had to say.................

krazy
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Well I bought these! Thanks Cedarstrip and everyone else that offered opinions! Got the kit on sale for $79 the day before it went to $120 so was very pleased. Still looking into sharpeners and then I guess I better try to kill something to try them out on eh! :mrgreen:

3kills
09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
if u have a good steel u dont need to sharpen ur knives all that often. as long as u are usin a good knife that is. i use victorinox knives at home and at work. and a f.dick steel. to sharpen them when they need it have a sharpner at work i use but if i had the stones i would hand sharpen them too