PDA

View Full Version : senior games disappointment

oldtimer
08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Well I am very disappointed that this years edition of the senior games will not have the 3D segment. Apparently the people in Campbell River can't get any animals to shoot at. Hard to believe but that is what we are being told.I know some shooters are thinking about not going because of this. That will be bad because they need all the shooters they can get to ensure Archery remains in the games. Mike

BowSitter
08-30-2010, 08:18 PM
That would really suck!!! I would probably not go without the 3D portion.
Hopefully it is only a rumor and there will actually be 3D.

timberhunter
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I can't believe that between Nanaimo and Courtenay clubs. That they can't get enough animals for Campbell river.

Someone must have pissed in someones cornflakes.

oldtimer
08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Not a rumor Ron. It is a fact of these games. apparently we will be doing a field round of targets instead. Whoopee

newhunterette
08-31-2010, 09:00 AM
http://www.bcseniorsgames.org/bcsgs/Portals/0/Documents/Sport%20Specific%20Rules/Archery.pdf

the link is what is posted for the archery segment of the Senior Games

Bow Walker
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Has someone from Campbell River club contacted Courtenay or Nanaimo and asked for help?

Has Nanaimo or Courtenay contacted C.R. to offer help?

Come on guys. It's for the good of the sport and the Games.

Ruger4
09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Hope this gets resolved soon for you guys , I wanna be a part of it in 13 years !! :mrgreen:

The Hermit
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I bet Victoria F&G would help with targets too.

oldtimer
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Well it looks like 3 days of Target shooting. WHOOPEE.:(
Heading to the rock on Tuesday, hoping to get a little practise in on Wednesday.
I think if they can't guarantee 3D you won't see me travelling that far again. Kootenays next year so should not be a problem there but who knows.
Mike

hardnocks
09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
well i want to take that senior thing in one of these years. but i wasn`t going over to the rock to do it.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Well it looks like 3 days of Target shooting. WHOOPEE.:(
Heading to the rock on Tuesday, hoping to get a little practise in on Wednesday.
I think if they can't guarantee 3D you won't see me travelling that far again. Kootenays next year so should not be a problem there but who knows.
Mike

Have fun Punching some Paper Mike

Canuck2
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I've been stewing silently about this for awhile and figure it must be about time to add my perspective a little.

In 2004, archery was included in the Seniors' Games for the first time in some years. This was at Penticton and we had a 1-day event (Canadian 900 round) plus a demo on day 2 in which some of the attendees shot flat paper animal targets. It was a good time but there was only a modest turnout and we began to talk about how to increase participation even then. In order for the Seniors Games Society to continue to support our sport by including us, numbers of participants talks loud.

By 2006, a 3D component had been added and the shooting had increased to 3 days, although all shooting was still lumped together as a single event. Appropriate lobbying finally gave us 2 separate medal events, one for pure paper shooting and one for 3D - sensible, since there are separate skill sets required to be successful in either of them. Some archers preferred the targets, some the 3D, but all participated in both categories and the enrollment trend showed a gradual overall climb in numbers.

Then a faction of the paper target shooters began to complain that judging distances was unreasonable and the 3D targets should be marked. In spite of the (minority) 3D enthusiasts' objections, marked distances were initiated. Apparently now we have a further regression and 3D targets won't be used at all. I've talked to many potential Seniors Games participants who are already deciding not to bother getting involved in future years, as well as a number of current, long-time particpants who are seriously contemplating tossing it in. Thus the paper target shooters get their way - as long as there's enough participation for the Society to continue allowing archery to remain in the games.

I suppose there's only one logical conclusion to reach over this - that we once again have only a single event and that the medals generously donated to our event should be similarly reduced in number.

As Mike mentioned, next year the games are in the West Kootenays (Trail/Castlegar/Nelson) and I know there is lots of 3D support in that region. Let's get on it and get the 2 separate events back on the rails again. First step is a vocal presence at the archers' meeting following this year's games.

Regardless, let's have a whale of a time in Campbell River.

oldtimer
09-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Had a great time at the games and shot Paper with a bunch of great people. Field event that was in place of 3D was " OK " but definitely not 3D.
In talking to the Kootenay people 3D will definitely be part of the games next year and may even be Non Marked Yardage. I can hear the moaning now Heh Heh Heh. TOO BAD !!!! Mike
PS I believe 5 out of the 6 zone 9 shooters medalled. Siver for this olf Fart.

BowSitter
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Glad it turned out ok Mike!
What? was there only two people in your class!!:twisted: LOL JUST KIDDING!!!
WELL DONE!! And congrats on the silver medal!!

Bow Walker
09-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Good for you Mike. I'm glad to hear about the 3D being un-marked yardage next year. IMHO 3D should be un-marked, all the time. It's just target shooting otherwise - defeats the whole 3D intent and purpose.

newhunterette
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Congratulations on your silver, Mike - glad to know you still managed to keep good spirits up considering the changes to the games this year.

Bigbear
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
If there in the Koots Next year I will be definitly be there for sure.