PDA

View Full Version : BC Interior......trophy hunting and fishing!

Fish Hound
08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Well....of on Friday for my annual hunting and fishing trip to the interior. Fishing North Barriere Lake, Adams Lake, and Mabel Lake for trophy Salmon, Bull and Rainbow and Lake and Brook Trout, Kokanee, Burbot, and what ever else bites. Then Elk, Deer, and Moose hunting in the Kettle Valley area. Or may bring out my bow for a camp deer if one "bothers" us along the way. Of course fish the Kettle...although I see that it's catch and release from the Thone bridge down to Westbridge now.

So........what should I be using to catch some of these big fish....with the Sockeye runs in North Barriere Lake the fishing should be excellent for everything. I was going to try an Oki flasher with a Dick Knight lure down 60 feet (down rigger) for big fish and then a Willow Leaf with a wire shaft Wedding Ring with maggots for Kokanee close to the surface. Also a Polar Bear streamer with some purple for my 9 weight fly rod. For Burbot I have a Norwegian Jig and will bait it with Salmon row or Gulp worms for bait. I also read that Gummy worms (candy) are a great bait.

For the big Springs in Adams and Mabel Lakes I was going to use regular ocean salmon gear ( same as on my rods right now). AKA Chipped Green flashers with Hootchies, Coyote Spoons, anchovies, etc.

Any thoughts????????

PS. check out the Youtube video of Spring fishing on Mabel Lake.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYl3qQyozM

4 point
08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I had a guy tell me today that the fish that reach our neck of the woods heading for the spawning gounds are already really turning red and not much use for eating. Better to get them in the lower Fraser River while their still silver. Have a fun trip.

Fish Hound
08-31-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm from the Island now (originally from the interior) and caught sockeye last weekend for my freezer. I catch springs all the time. All the sport fish are on my radar for catching. Only Kokanee, a few Burbot, and maybe the odd Trout are on my dinner list. I want the fish to spawn and come back to the ocean.

Back to the questions.....