PDA

View Full Version : Extended period of time in the woods?

CSG
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I am wondering if anyone on here has spent an extended period of time in the wilderness, more than a month. Not counting work, such as guiding, remote exploration mining etc.

What was your motivation?
How did you find the experience?
How many people did you go with?
What kind of country and what time of year?

Being camped on the side of a road with your truck doesnt count

ape
08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Every year from the last week of Sept until the first or second week of Nov.
?1 hunting
?2 Must be good as I do it every year for the last 4 or 5
?3 Whomever wishes to join me. Sometimes alone sometimes there are four or five of us.
?4 Moose and elk country with some whitey and muley in there as well.

CSG
08-30-2010, 05:03 PM
ape, where do you go? around PG? you drive in?

ape
08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
We have a few areas in the Peace country as well as around Vanderhoof.

kennyj
08-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Solo for 14 days backpacking the Tatshinshini Rv.
Motivation to get a dall ram
End of Aug into Sept.
LOVED IT!

bridger
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
32 days to the head the west fork of the muskwa. my two sons and best friend.

todbartell
08-30-2010, 06:39 PM
54 days, mining exploration = hell

rollingrock
08-30-2010, 06:42 PM
54 days, mining exploration = hell

No wonder you look, weigh and sound like a successful person at your age. :mrgreen:

CSG
08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
kennyj

i just found your post about the 14 day solo trip. congrats on the ram, sounded like a hell of a trip.

was that your first solo hunt of that scale?

what type of thunderstick did you bring?

todbartell
08-30-2010, 06:45 PM
No wonder you look, weigh and sound like a successful person at your age. :mrgreen:

long since spent all that money, not sure on what though?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Never that long. 14 days is the longest ....and by that time I'm ready to head for home!
Funny....I usually feel pretty energized when driving home. Get tired heading north while driving but not so the other direction.:?

SSS

rollingrock
08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
long since spent all that money, not sure on what though?

Same here. But the storage room for my hunting stuff is full now. :mrgreen:

sawmill
08-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Did five weeks when me and the ex split.Alone,fishing and camping on a little island on a little mountain trout lake,came home when I ran out of books and got sick of eating trout,but mostly because I shot a moose and had to get him to town.Best therapy in the world.:mrgreen:

kennyj
08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
kennyj

i just found your post about the 14 day solo trip. congrats on the ram, sounded like a hell of a trip.

was that your first solo hunt of that scale?

what type of thunderstick did you bring?
That was the longest.I've done several up to 10 days.
I took a 7mm mag.
kenny

Mountaintop
08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Longest trip was a 65 day backpack trip with three good friends in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. Lots of high country and got up to the top of Mount Whitney (14,495 feet). It was after we graduated high school and wanted to have a big adventure together before we all went our separate ways. It was in the summer of ‘73 during the Arab oil embargo and nobody else had the gas to get to the mountains. We only saw two other groups the whole time. We had no real experience in long trip planning and made a lot of mistakes, especially with the amount of food we had. We ended up having to supplement our food supply by fishing every day and the occasional wild plants or berries we could identify. Just to make things interesting it also rained for 14 straight days and everything was soaked through. When I finally got out I swore I would never go backpacking again. It was the best trip ever and I did go backpacking again.