PDA

View Full Version : What do i need in my pack?

twr
08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi there, first time poster here after reading and reading and reading. heading out on a moose, elk, white tail hunt this sept (end). and i was wondering if a few of you could possilby help with what nessesities i will need in my pack. i will not be living atta my pack, but tools, knifes, and so on and so on. any info is greatly apprieciated !!!!

Steeleco
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
In my day pack. I've got a compass, spare batteries for the GPS. Survival mirror, small first aid kit, a whole bunch of those high calorie granola bars for those unplanned over nighter's! Survival blanket, spare laces. more than a few knives, lighter and a blast match in case the lighter kacks! MSR water filter and bottle. Oh and a few extra rounds or ammo!!

BlacktailStalker
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Horseshoes.

Tenacious Billy
08-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Toilet paper is a must........

mxracer328
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53831&highlight=pack

urbanhermit
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Toilet paper is a must........

YES!! makes for a long day when you have to wipe your butt with a stick at 9am..

sparkes3
08-30-2010, 08:21 PM
camera, axe,sharpening stones,fire starter,fishing line,power bait ,hooks,first aid kit,energy bars ,water purification tablets,toilet paper flagging tape,emergency blanket,knife,snare wire ,clean dry clothes.

aliagha
08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
First aid kit, knife, multi tool, flash light with extra batteries, match box, a nice and loud whistle, tarp, walky talkieee, rope, some dry food, map, Gps, a rain coat, bug spray, extra pair of socks, watch, water (container), compass......

twr
08-31-2010, 08:02 AM
thanks guys, i guess its time to head out shopping and purchase some of this stuff.

Chuck
08-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Oh my gawd! You might just as well bring along your whole household. My advice would be to just get out there and experience it - even overnight once. You'll be surprised how little you actually need. Of prime importance is - do not suffer a mishap. If you do that, then everything changes.

.330 Dakota
08-31-2010, 08:51 AM
How about a 1st aid kit

Squamch
08-31-2010, 08:17 PM
First aid kit-mine is hockey tape (great if you discover part of your kit is slippery when wet), bandaids, non stick gauze, painkillers, allergy pills, And some safety pins and an emergency blanket. In the same zippered pouch is a pack of rolling papers and a lighter. I save my butts, no garbage in the bush, and if my time out there goes a little longer...I'll roll my own in order to satisfy my filthy addiction.
Knives-I carry three or four...big knife (buck 119), EDC (CRKT M16), skinning (Wyoming knife), and a Swiss army knife that is in my day to day pack year round.
I carry a fresh set of socks, underwear, and t shirt.
Rain gear always comes with me.
Beer can stove and fuel (google it, then make one!).
Enamel cup for heating water or food over the beer can stove.
The standard supply of granola bars, water, etc.
Cheesecloth game bags, and some ziplocs for grouse or organs.
Extra ammo and lots of it. 4 rounds in my rifle, and the other 16 from the box in my pack. I'll probably have another 20 or more in the truck.
Compass. Duh.
Gloves and warmer headgear (if I'm wearing a baseball cap or bandana, I carry a toque, if I'm wearing a toque, it's a balaclava).
Toilet paper double plastic bagged.
Para cord.
Glasses cleaning cloth in a ziploc to prevent grit, not moisture.
Sometimes I bring a bit of tinfoil and some bullseye in a small spice bottle, if we've been seeing alot of grouse, for the ol' roadside banquet!

BromBones
08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh my gawd! You might just as well bring along your whole household. My advice would be to just get out there and experience it - even overnight once. You'll be surprised how little you actually need. Of prime importance is - do not suffer a mishap. If you do that, then everything changes.

"Go unprepared, just make sure you dont get into trouble" ??

Shit happens sometimes, and carrying a 10 lb daypack with some basic gear/supplies can make a world of difference.

Spent many unplanned nights out, & on the trapline in the middle of winter as well. Having some extra gear can make the difference between a miserable night, and a comfortable one.:)

BlacktailStalker
09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
YES!! makes for a long day when you have to wipe your butt with a stick at 9am..

You sir are a tough man, I use moss or leaves (at least 6 layers of leaves or you get an unwelcome gerkin :shock:)

reach
09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Wet wipes - great for cleanup if you do connect. Some rope to drag it out with.

bighornbob
09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi there, first time poster here after reading and reading and reading. heading out on a moose, elk, white tail hunt this sept (end). and i was wondering if a few of you could possilby help with what nessesities i will need in my pack. i will not be living atta my pack, but tools, knifes, and so on and so on. any info is greatly apprieciated !!!!

First off what type of hunting are you going to be doing? How far are you going to be from your truck? How far away from your vehicle would you be willing to shoot a moose or elk?

If you are going to hike a couple of hours from the truck and are willing to shoot a moose or an elk. Then one you will be needing a pack capable of carrying meat. In the pack I would put stuff in it for meat care etc. Things like a tarp to lay skinned out meat on, a bone saw, some rope to make a meat pole if meat has to stay over night, meat bags, small first aid kit and things can go wrong in a hurrey field dressing a larger animal, extra knife or sharpener as you will need it doing an elk or moose. Plus all the basic stuff.

In my pack regardless of where I go I carry:
-a few energy bars
-Toilet Paper
-camera
-cloth for cleaning optics
-small first aid kit
-small foldable saw
-extra knife
-lighter
-gps
-SPOT messenger

To this I add things depending on the hunt and time. An evening hunt, I may throw in an extra fleece and a touque. If its cloudy or weather is not good, I will throw in a small packable rain coat.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB