PDA

View Full Version : 7-39 thutade lake sheep

bighorn
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
one month to go,for our hunting trip up to thutade lake.we have leh moose tags and grizzly tags.
this year i'm going with my nephews and some other young fellas and they are getting pumped.they plan on shooting a moose in the first few days ,then running up a mountian and shooting a caribou or a goat which ever they see first.what they are wondering is if they should buy a sheep tag,from what i've heard its open there but the sheep aren't there.
can anyone give me some help on this subject,and dont forget no mountian is to high for them.
any help would be appreciated
pm me if you want
thanx dave

Mooseter
08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Was over the hill on Tatlatui several years ago. Saw lots of goat,moose , cariboo and 1 grizz. Spent 10 days camped on the height of land between the lakes but saw NO sheep.
Beautiful area. 14 days in total brought home 2 cariboo bulls, silvertip 5 year old grizz and 2 goats.

Get up off the lake and you will have a great time.

Goodluck !!

swampthing
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I think you should forget the sheep tags. I researched the area alot this past spring and spent a week in there on a bear hunt. Go get a goat though. Those mountains are big in there. Not easy but the young fellas can probably get er done.

BCrams
08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Somewhere in there, the outfitter has taken a couple cranker rams. Most likely out of there Duti Lake camp.

ve7iuq
08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
The guys are correct. No sheep around Thutade Lake.

Geo.338
08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
PM'ed you . We will be in the area around the same time so we may see you .Good Luck ! Been crouded up there the last couple years .
Geo.338

Buckster
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I spent a lot of time in and around Thutade lake growing up in the 80's then the odd trip or two back later in the 90's as my Dad hauled supplies and equipment in and out of the now defunt Cheni Gold mine at the end of the road just past the Sturdee Valley Airstrip. I can honestley say that I have never seen a single sheep in that immediate area lots of Moose, Bear, Caribou, Wolves though. You used to be able to hike into the Tatlatui park and see the odd one however that was closed to sheep hunting some years ago. Bring a boat and rod though as I can't imagine Thutade will ever get fished out and there are some dandys in there just stay away from the falls at the north end they'll kill. I've heard that the road is impassable at the Sturdee and since ATV's are no longer allowed for hunting or even supporting a hunting camp, as I see it a fellas got a few choices horses, hike, road hunt. We will also be up there two of us heading into the area August 9 and be back the 27th heading up to as far as we can go in the lawyers pass then jumping onto the horses. Cross the Toodoggone River head up to Toodoggone lake, around Toodoggone peak, back around by Bend mountian, then I believe back through Black lake and back to the Thutade where we are intending to meet up with the other five in our party who are planing on hunting the area around Thutade for Moose and Cariboo as they also have LEH Moose and Caribou draws. I'll invite you now we will spreading my Dads ashes August 18th in the area and holding a celebration of life for him. It is what he wanted, as in his own words hunting, telling lies, and watching my boys grow into men it was the best time of my life. Everyone is welcome. Good luck to all.

ryanb
07-17-2012, 09:39 AM
There are sheep in 7-39, but I think you will be hard pressed to find any near Thutade. Never hurts to buy a tag though, it would be mighty unfortunate if one strayed into the area and you didn't have a tag.

Steve W
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I spent a lot of time in and around Thutade lake growing up in the 80's then the odd trip or two back later in the 90's as my Dad hauled supplies and equipment in and out of the now defunt Cheni Gold mine at the end of the road just past the Sturdee Valley Airstrip. I can honestley say that I have never seen a single sheep in that immediate area lots of Moose, Bear, Caribou, Wolves though. You used to be able to hike into the Tatlatui park and see the odd one however that was closed to sheep hunting some years ago. Bring a boat and rod though as I can't imagine Thutade will ever get fished out and there are some dandys in there just stay away from the falls at the north end they'll kill. I've heard that the road is impassable at the Sturdee and since ATV's are no longer allowed for hunting or even supporting a hunting camp, as I see it a fellas got a few choices horses, hike, road hunt. We will also be up there two of us heading into the area August 9 and be back the 27th heading up to as far as we can go in the lawyers pass then jumping onto the horses. Cross the Toodoggone River head up to Toodoggone lake, around Toodoggone peak, back around by Bend mountian, then I believe back through Black lake and back to the Thutade where we are intending to meet up with the other five in our party who are planing on hunting the area around Thutade for Moose and Cariboo as they also have LEH Moose and Caribou draws. I'll invite you now we will spreading my Dads ashes August 18th in the area and holding a celebration of life for him. It is what he wanted, as in his own words hunting, telling lies, and watching my boys grow into men it was the best time of my life. Everyone is welcome. Good luck to all.

That'll be a nice trip. Spent a lot of time up there in the late 80's and early 90's. Cheni was a going concern and the road was in good shape then. Some incredible country. Glad to here the road is closed at Sturdee.